IPSECURE: How much of a boost is it at a T30

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
skri65

IPSECURE: How much of a boost is it at a T30

Postby skri65 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 am

For current law students only...

I have a CS background, patent eligible through category B. I will likely be attending a T30 school ( BU/BC/Fordham) where about a quarter of the grads get biglaw. For people at these schools, anecdotally, how much of a boost is it? How have the people you know with hard science backgrounds done? Can you get median grades and still land an IP job?
Last edited by skri65 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skye

Re: IPSECURE: How much of a boost is it at a T30

Postby Skye » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 am

May the odds be ever in your favor…. possibly.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 am

just get top grades brah. thats what big mafuqin fish do

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am

Act as if you're not IPSecure. Anecdotally, from what I have seen, it is not really a "boost," in the sense that being IP won't get you into a firm where you're otherwise below the GPA cutoff. Rather, being IP student just makes you eligible for positions as many IP practice groups / IP firms will only recruit students with technical backgrounds. More chances to get a job == you're more likely to get a job. That's really all it is.

Median anywhere is not a lock for BigLaw.

iconoclasttt

Postby iconoclasttt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 pm

For prosecution jobs, at least at mid-sized boutiques like mine, your undergraduate GPA will get scrutinized at least as much as your law school grades. To some extent, a stellar undergraduate record will offset less-than-stellar LS performance. IP litigation firms tend to focus less on UG grades, but will still go deeper into the class for candidates with strong technical backgrounds.

The more relevant question is: what firms regularly recruit at your target schools, and what do they look for?

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

You get more interviews so that's worth something... boutiques look at UG more whereas Lit teams in top vault firms don't look into that as much.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”