Resume Question

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Resume Question

Postby tino1317 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 pm

I am trying to put together a more polished resume for potential transfer applications as well as 1L/2L summer jobs. I have worked at a small law firm in a large metropolitan city for the past year after graduation, as well as for a summer in ug. I have done work on several federal criminal cases. Mostly grunt work like summarizing testimony, indexing, editing, and research. My employers have said it is a great idea to keep track of the cases I have worked on so I can put them on my resume. Has anyone else done this? I have worked on some really cool cases, some have even made national news, but I don't want to come off like I've done groundbreaking work on them. I did get to go to court a lot which was awesome and over the years I have really become familiar with court room proceedings. Should I put these cases in my resume? How do you think I should format it with regards to my employer. If anyone who has something similar on their resume I would be very appreciative if you could send me a copy. I don't have good extracurricular bullshit so my resume looks very "empty". I am going to try to add some extracurricular stuff in law school but for now this seems like it is a good way to strengthen my resume. I have a list of cases and case numbers but how much detail should I go into? Should I keep it simple and just list the case, or should I list the defendant I worked for and the specific works I did on the case? Thanks.

TLDR: I need help with my resume, any advice on how to put together a solid one is welcome

Re: Resume Question

Postby eerie_erie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Try looking at some of the profiles on firm sites. These people have also worked on proprietary matters in varying capacities. I would look at a younger associate's webpage to see how they phrase things, since it doesn't seem like you were the main person but still obviously made a meaningful impact on the case.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”