JAG

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LaBarrister

JAG

Postby LaBarrister » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:24 am

I don't know a whole lot about JAG other than that one must first go into the military (as least in NAVY JAG one does) and that the JAG program is extremely selective.

So, without asking questions, can anyone simply tout their knowledge of this program by having been/being in it or knowing others who have?

I feel that this needs to be a thread at some point on TLS.

Tom Joad

Re: JAG

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 am

There is a huge thread called Military Law IIRC that has everything about JAG.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 am

Tom Joad wrote:There is a huge thread called Military Law IIRC that has everything about JAG.

Damn. I don't have time to find it now, but thanks. I will check into that.

Could you offer some direction? lol

paul554

Postby paul554 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:30 am

LaBarrister wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:There is a huge thread called Military Law IIRC that has everything about JAG.

You don't have time to find the literally 165 page thread on JAG but want more info? Let me summarize all that for you then.

If you are to lazy to look up info for JAG then more then likely you are not JAG material.

JAG is very competitive and is life altering due to the inherent nature of the military. You compete against people who have prior service and desire nothing more then to join the JAG corp. If you go in there with this type of attitude where you are not well researched and self reliant then you have about 0% chance of selection.

Pamaho

Postby Pamaho » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 am

While the "Military Law" discussion in the Forum for Law School Students is interesting, you will do better to start with one or more of the following:

ARMY
http://www.jagcnet.army.mil
(don't worry about the security warning on first going to this website)

AIR FORCE
http://www.airforce.com/jag

NAVY
http://www.jag.navy.mil/

MARINES
http://www.marines.com/being-a-marine/r ... e-advocate

COAST GUARD
http://www.uscg.mil/legal/

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 pm

paul554 wrote:
LaBarrister wrote:

You don't have time to find the literally 165 page thread on JAG but want more info? Let me summarize all that for you then.

If you are to lazy to look up info for JAG then more then likely you are not JAG material.

JAG is very competitive and is life altering due to the inherent nature of the military. You compete against people who have prior service and desire nothing more then to join the JAG corp. If you go in there with this type of attitude where you are not well researched and self reliant then you have about 0% chance of selection.

Lol calm your ass hot shot... I was due to be somewhere this morning at 6:00 a.m. and had to put off looking for the thread.

If I went in there and saw other people with your attitude of jumping to ignorant conclusions for no apparent reason, then I would probably out myself immediately. Who are you trying to impress? Lol if you are truly trying to make the JAG look like a bunch of bad asses, which I am sure that they are, then you're going about it very wrongly. Your sense of communication is a little off, at least in writing. Just for future reference, no one who is a real bad ass has to put on such a show as you just did. I'm going to do my best not to associate JAG with anything written above.

paul554

Postby paul554 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

LaBarrister wrote:
Lol calm your ass hot shot... I was due to be somewhere this morning at 6:00 a.m. and had to put off looking for the thread.

If I went in there and saw other people with your attitude of jumping to ignorant conclusions for no apparent reason, then I would probably out myself immediately. Who are you trying to impress? Lol if you are truly trying to make the JAG look like a bunch of bad asses, which I am sure that they are, then you're going about it very wrongly. Your sense of communication is a little off, at least in writing. Just for future reference, no one who is a real bad ass has to put on such a show as you just did. I'm going to do my best not to associate JAG with anything written above.

6 Years active duty military along with federal law enforcement time, wife is current active duty military. Both of us worked with JAG Army on a regular basis. Perhaps it is your attitude that needs a look over?

You came here asking no questions but wanting general knowledge, I provided that. Every JAG branch has a website with all the information you need and contact information for a recruiter. Did you really want us to regurgitate all that info on here while not knowing anything about what your interested in? I'm not offended but if you are then PLEASE reconsider the military. Even in JAG you will deal with abrasive and over bearing people on a daily basis. If your a new CPT and assigned to an infantry brigade as legal counsel then get used to being talked down to on a daily basis because that full bird won't care a lick about your feelings.

Again, JAG has a selection rate between 6-12%. It is one of the most competitive career fields in the military to enter. Do some research and then ask a direct specified question and you'll probably receive a lot more help.

Edit to Add:
Just wanted to say, JAG is also not what I would call "bad ass". Their treated similar to the medical side of the house, which is pretty dang well! If I came off overly abrasive and rude I apologize.
Last edited by paul554 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:26 pm

:roll: at this thread.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 pm

best of the best of the best, sir. with honors.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:38 pm

paul554 wrote:
LaBarrister wrote:

6 Years active duty military along with federal law enforcement time, wife is current active duty military. Both of us worked with JAG Army on a regular basis. Perhaps it is your attitude that needs a look over?

You came here asking no questions but wanting general knowledge, I provided that. Every JAG branch has a website with all the information you need and contact information for a recruiter. Did you really want us to regurgitate all that info on here while not knowing anything about what your interested in? I'm not offended but if you are then PLEASE reconsider the military. Even in JAG you will deal with abrasive and over bearing people on a daily basis. If your a new CPT and assigned to an infantry brigade as legal counsel then get used to being talked down to on a daily basis because that full bird won't care a lick about your feelings.

Again, JAG has a selection rate between 6-12%. It is one of the most competitive career fields in the military to enter. Do some research and then ask a direct specified question and you'll probably receive a lot more help.

Edit to Add:
Just wanted to say, JAG is also not what I would call "bad ass". Their treated similar to the medical side of the house, which is pretty dang well! If I came off overly abrasive and rude I apologize.

I never said I was considering the military.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 pm

LaBarrister wrote:I never said I was considering the military.

the rest of your trolling attempts have been shitty but i enjoyed this

paul554

Postby paul554 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm

LaBarrister wrote:

I never said I was considering the military.

I feel like I walked right into that one.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”