Can I break the top 50 with these numbers?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cherylann

Can I break the top 50 with these numbers?

Postby cherylann » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:17 pm

If you get a 169 on the LSAT.........and plan to retake in June to aim higher

And you have had serious illness throughout your undergraduate career, and it has taken a toll on your undergraduate gpa, and although you have above a 3.0 gpa on your transcript, when LSAC gets finished it will be around a 2.5 gpa.

With a 169+ and a 2.5 gpa, coupled with an addendum explaining what transpired in undergrad and how serious illness compromised your ability to perform your very best, although you have a 3 semester 3.8 upward trend you can point out to show the illness isnt still occuring, along with good LORS and a great Personal Statement and I am still in undergrad (not sure that will be looked on well), is there any hope during the 2013-14 cycle I could break the Top 50?

ookoshi

Re: Can I break the top 50 with these numbers?

Postby ookoshi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm @ 2.3 / 167, and I've already gotten accepted by Georgia.

Top 50 is not hard once your LSAT gets up there. You won't get accepted by everyone but if all you care about is T50 you'll get picked up by some.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:25 pm

cherylann wrote:If you get a 169 on the LSAT.........and plan to retake in June to aim higher

And you have had serious illness throughout your undergraduate career, and it has taken a toll on your undergraduate gpa, and although you have above a 3.0 gpa on your transcript, when LSAC gets finished it will be around a 2.5 gpa.

With a 169+ and a 2.5 gpa, coupled with an addendum explaining what transpired in undergrad and how serious illness compromised your ability to perform your very best, although you have a 3 semester 3.8 upward trend you can point out to show the illness isnt still occuring, along with good LORS and a great Personal Statement and I am still in undergrad (not sure that will be looked on well), is there any hope during the 2013-14 cycle I could break the Top 50?

Yes. But aim for the 170s. With a 170+ score you could crack the T14 even without an addendum about your serious illness. Plenty people have already. Check LSN.

cherylann

Postby cherylann » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Thank you guys so much for all the great help and advice. That makes me glad to know that with a high 160s Top 50 isnt impossible.

If you have a lower gpa and are still in undergrad doesnt that not get looked upon as good as someone who has been out of undergrad for 1-5 years? Or does it really not matter to admissions?

Also on law school numbers, when I look at others with a 2.5 and high 160s LSAT they usually have they were waitlisted at T 35 and T 50 schools and rarely do you see an acceptance? But then again I have read somewhere that only 5-10 percent use law school numbers.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm

cherylann wrote:Thank you guys so much for all the great help and advice. That makes me glad to know that with a high 160s Top 50 isnt impossible.

If you have a lower gpa and are still in undergrad doesnt that not get looked upon as good as someone who has been out of undergrad for 1-5 years? Or does it really not matter to admissions?

Also on law school numbers, when I look at others with a 2.5 and high 160s LSAT they usually have they were waitlisted at T 35 and T 50 schools and rarely do you see an acceptance? But then again I have read somewhere that only 5-10 percent use law school numbers.

With a GPA that low admissions will be a crapshoot. Aim for 170+ and your situation changes drastically.

Also, "Top 50" is not a meaningful distinction when choosing between schools

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 pm

cherylann wrote:If you get a 169 on the LSAT.........and plan to retake in June to aim higher

Still in UG? I'd take a leave of absence and go for at least a couple semesters to a junior college that grades on a + and - scale and try to get as many A+'s as possible. If you can wait until the 2014-2015 cycle and get your GPA above the 3.0 mark I think it'd be worth it. You may not want to embark on this path but it's a viable option.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:00 pm

25 and up easy to get in. Had similar money, and got 50%+ scholie at Wash U. (top 25) with plenty of money at other top 50s.

cherylann

Postby cherylann » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 pm

sorry for the reply, but not sure that I understand about 25 and up being easy. I apologize for asking.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Sorry, there are many schools ranked from 25-100 that will be easy to get into, and offer money.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Outside the T14 just go to the school in your region that offers that offers the best combination of cost and employment prospects. http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/ and going to a school in the area where you have ties are much more important than any USNEWS rank.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”