Law Review + Moot Court

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Law Review + Moot Court

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:31 pm

If you can get on to both does it make sense to do that?

A partner asked me if I was planning to do moot court, I said I wasn't sure I would have time, and he said he did both.

DwightSchruteFarms

Re: Law Review + Moot Court

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 pm

I was able to do both and I have received positive feedback during interviews. From what I have gathered, LR brings prestige to the resume. MC demonstrates an ability to write well and litigate (to an extent). I don't see how doing both could hurt.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Doing both sounds miserable.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I should add that I am a JD/MBA student so I was able to do LR my "1st 2L year" and MC by "2nd 2L year." Doing them simultaneously would be death.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:If you can get on to both does it make sense to do that?

A partner asked me if I was planning to do moot court, I said I wasn't sure I would have time, and he said he did both.

I am doing both. It is a lot of work but it is manageable. I don't recommend doing it though, it has kind of made me hate life a little. Moot court is pointless unless you really LOVE it.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 pm

I did both. Some of it depends on how they're run at your school - our internal moot court competition was 1st semester 2L and didn't overlap with note requirements too terribly, though there were about three weeks in there where I was pretty tired... After that, though, the various requirements I had for each managed not to overlap very much (almost nothing more on MC until 3L, did a LR board position but the burdensome obligations were mostly 2L second semester). However, I think our MC program is less hard core than a lot of schools, so this may not work for everyone.

Mind you, I can't remember anyone asking me about either LR or MC in an interview, so I'm not going to claim doing both was any kind of particular advantage. I just wanted to do them both (due to deep-seated neuroses, doubtless).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”