Dropping Out, Keep Working?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Dropping Out, Keep Working?

Postby cashman17 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:48 pm

So I've decided I'm dropping out of Law School :lol: ( :( ?)

Unfortunately, because I already got my second semester scholarship $$/paid for second semester, I can't drop out until I complete the semester. This brings up a difficult predicament. I literally have no desire to do any work at all for Law School. I just don't care, I have no interest in being a lawyer, and am counting the days until I'm done. The big classes aren't too bad, I just don't read and I'll bang out a hard 3 days before the test and get whatever I get. Legal Writing on the other hand is an enormous bitch/time-sink and I don't know what type of effort I should be putting in.

I don't really care about my grades, and I never plan on coming back, but I also don't want to fail my way out. I'd rather just leave with my average grades intact. Are non-legal employers even going to look at my law school grades? Does it matter if I get an F in LRW even though I knew I was dropping out? Should I suck it up and just do what I would if I were staying?

Any advice/experience appreciated

Re: Dropping Out, Keep Working?

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:58 pm

If you ever went to another grad program, they might ask for a transcript. But for jobs, why not just take law school off your resume?

If you're completely sure you're not continuing with law school, just stop going to class and allow yourself to fail out.

Postby andythefir » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Personally I would go to class without reading, take the free few months to job search and do the absolute bare minimum. You'll get C+s and Cs but not Fs and really help out the rest of the section by taking one for the team by pushing the rest of the curve's grades up.

Postby Yukos » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 pm

I know lots of people (including my mom, among others) who failed themselves out of school in similar situations and later regretted it. Law school is probably different than UG in this regard but still, I'd aim for at least Cs -- you never know when your 0.0 GPA semester might come back to bite you.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”