Loan Question for grads

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
djfe4president

Loan Question for grads

Postby djfe4president » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Can you defer your loans for a time period even if you have a job when you graduate?

My fiance is also in law school but she has loans... I'm graduating with less than 15k in subsidized loans working big law.

My plan:
I would like to defer my loans for 8-9 months...get the 15k and put money into her loans...I figured that I could avoid paying interest while also helping her out with her situation. She is not working big law and will likely do mid law or pi

Can you tell me if this is possible?

Thanks in advance.

tstyler98

Re: Loan Question for grads

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:13 am

You'll get a 6-month grace period before you have to start paying on the loan. After that, your options are to get a hardship deferral (doubtful if you have a job), where the gov't will continue to pay your interest on subsidized loans, or a forbearance, where the interest will accrue regardless of the type of loan you have. You'll need to check out the website of and call the company that has your loans to see whether you'd qualify for anything.

djfe4president

Postby djfe4president » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:30 pm

will interest accrue during the grace period?

presh

Postby presh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 pm

djfe4president wrote:will interest accrue during the grace period?

Yes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”