Quinnipiac 1L taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DonDrapersAttorney

Quinnipiac 1L taking Questions

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Like the title says, shoot away. Anything at all. I'm a 1L in the top 20%.

mikeam

Re: Quinnipiac 1L taking Questions

Postby mikeam » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:08 pm

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:Like the title says, shoot away. Anything at all. I'm a 1L in the top 20%.

What other schools were you accepted to and why did you choose QU?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm here to ask the important questions. How mad are you about the hockey team's ranking and the general disrespect from the national media due to playing the ECAC?

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Haha, as to the second question I've actually been going to a fair number of the hockey games. Exciting stuff, although I come from a big football and basketball school for undergrad so I'm pretty familiar with national sports team exposure.

As for what other schools I was accepted to, I got a 20k/year scholarship to Hofstra, substantial money to Elon, Suffolk, Albany, and was accepted to Maine too. Those are probably all the ones that are of any relevance. I decided to take the healthy scholarship to QU because I saw that they were on the rise as far as rankings are concerned. The school is also moving to a new and much larger building and will have a new dean next year. They'ves also been cutting class size gradually over the years and it's pretty evident that the larger university is investing pretty substantially into the law school. The location is quiet in suburban New England but close enough to NYC and Boston to make day trips easy.

The legal market is pretty rough for everybody so I was hoping to keep overall debt costs down. In my 3/4 of a year at QU so far I've been moderately comforted by the number of OCIs I've seen that have been going on and the school seems to do a good job of making sure everyone that wants practical externship/internship/clinic experience gets as much as they want, so you have something to talk about or show that's substantial in interviews.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I am also a 1L at a school in the northeast. Why does your school keep e-mailing me and asking me to apply?

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 am

Lots of schools do that, I still get e-mails from a bunch of schools too. It's nothing particular about my school. From what I can tell they all create mass mailing lists based on LSAT scores of "presumptive" applicants that meet certain criteria.

simplythebest

Postby simplythebest » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:53 am

If you don't mind me asking, did you receive a scholarship from Quinnipiac? If so, what are your stipulations? Were you able to negotiate for a better offer? I received a scholarship from them, but Quinnipiac is very expensive...

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 am

DonDrapersAttorney wrote:Lots of schools do that, I still get e-mails from a bunch of schools too. It's nothing particular about my school. From what I can tell they all create mass mailing lists based on LSAT scores of "presumptive" applicants that meet certain criteria.

Could you tell them to stop please?

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm

I did get a scholarship from QU it was significant enough to offset the hefty burden they put on students who aren't fortunate enough to receive merit or other aid. Having talked to other scholarship students here there are all sorts of stipulations they place on their scholarships. Mine was simple enough, no GPA requirement, just that I finish each year in the top half of my class with a stipulation that I will love 75% of my scholarship if I'm between the bottom half and bottom 3/4ths and all of it if I'm at the bottom 1/4.

mikeam

Postby mikeam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Last edited by mikeam on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonDrapersAttorney

Postby DonDrapersAttorney » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 pm

The school as a whole as been gradually moving up in the rankings and that seems to be breeding a slightly more competitive student body year-to-year. It's not insanely cut-throat, and I would say it's probably one of the less competitive schools out there. That doesn't mean a terrible amount though. QU has two day sections and they section stack the scholarship recipients pretty heavily. If you're there with a decent scholarship and you're in the scholarship heavy section it's going to be pretty difficult to keep your scholarship. The other section it's a little easier to make top 50% if you're a scholarship kid against non-scholarship kids.

liebs378

Postby liebs378 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Whats your thought's on the QU vs UCONN rivalry? does UCONN get more respect in the legal world in CT over QU?

Caesar Salad

Postby Caesar Salad » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am

I'm strongly considering Quinnipiac as, though I've yet to hear back, I anticipate getting substantial scholarship moneyto be a bunch of dicks for wait listing me. What is your impression of the chances at worthwhile employment after graduation? Are students there generally optimistic or pessimistic?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”