No Scholarship Money = No Donation after Graduation?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rwhyAn

Re: No Scholarship Money = No Donation after Graduation?

Postby rwhyAn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Will they be donating to your cause if you end up jobless and/or can't pay off your loans? Would the professors be willing to take a pay cut to help out the university or its students? Don't think so!

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:24 pm

cinephile wrote:
akasabian wrote:I know that a lot of schools care more about the number of alumni who donate over the amount each donate. The theory that it is better to have 15 donors give $5 each instead of 2 giving $40 each.

It's not what they care about, it's more like why in god's name would I donate? If I buy an iphone, I pay the price of the phone and I'm done with it. And I don't ge emails every so often from Apple asking me for a donation. School is just the same. It's not a charity.

To be fair, it might be a relevant distinction that most educational institutions are nonprofits. That, for me, is the difference - I would love to sponsor a scholarship at some point in my career for the benefit of students.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:To be fair, it might be a relevant distinction that most educational institutions are nonprofits. That, for me, is the difference - I would love to sponsor a scholarship at some point in my career for the benefit of students.

If you sponsor a scholarship, you're only making it easier for people to go there and thus encouraging the school to raise prices. The designation "nonprofit" means jack shit.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:56 am

These places sure don't act much like nonprofits.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:08 am

law school admins love to talk about market forces, and how they are simply providing a service, etc...

if they really behaved as though they were in a fiduciary relationship with their students, i'd be inclined to care about the relationship too. if they want to be market actors, they better not be surprised grads aren't interested in making a donation.

schools are arguing in federal court, over and over, CAVEAT EMPTOR. and "only an idiot would believe the stats we put out." and they're winning. i mean come on. public servants? do they deserve your excess lucre?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”