1L Summer

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
magp90

1L Summer

Postby magp90 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 pm

A part of this question stems from ignorance, so forgive me...

It seems pretty clear that summer associate positions are great ways to get your foot in the door of a firm that could hire you after graduation. While my goal is not to work in a firm, I know that getting several years until your belt there is generally the way that attorneys build a reputation before going in-house, etc.

If there are General Counsel internships at the places I would hope to work someday (that would probably never hire someone fresh out of law school), would it be more prudent to do that or to aim for a firm SA? The connections and experience would be valuable, but it probably would be less immediately applicable than working at a firm...

Of course, there is more than one summer during law school, but I wouldn't want to plan them out in a way that would leave me out to dry when the hiring period came around.

Any suggestions?

hephaestus

Re: 1L Summer

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 am

1L SA positions are exceptionally rare, even for people at elite schools. As far as in house internships, there are a decent number of them, but not many. It's very rare to get something that pays 1L summer. Most people intern for a judge or a local DAs office.

magp90

Re: 1L Summer

Postby magp90 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 pm

ImNoScar wrote:1L SA positions are exceptionally rare, even for people at elite schools. As far as in house internships, there are a decent number of them, but not many. It's very rare to get something that pays 1L summer. Most people intern for a judge or a local DAs office.

Thanks for the response! So with that in mind, if we talk about 2L summer, would it be more prudent to take an internship in-house or an SA position?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”