Lawyering in Recovery (Booze), Taking Questions.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SemperLegal

Lawyering in Recovery (Booze), Taking Questions.

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I am not sure if there is any market for this thread, but I know when I was applying, I had a lot of questions with no answers.

If you have Anon issues, PM me and I will edit out identifying information.

Some background:
3ish years sober
Been single and in a relationship since LS started
Comfortable in situations where booze is served.

Edit:

Gotten a few anon questions, so maybe this is better as private system, so here are a few search terms for later applicants:

"Alcoholic" "AA" "problem with alcohol" "Apple Jacks don't taste like apples"
Last edited by SemperLegal on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

HBBJohnStamos

Re: Law Student in Recovery (Booze), Taking Questions.

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Why'd you quit?

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Without going into any details, there was significant legal issues that kept popping up. Additionally, I found myself never just having one and lying about my drinking, for no real reason (I wasn't hiding anything)

ttorres93

Postby ttorres93 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:30 am

How do you feel it affects you in social situations?

Do other students ever give you any flak?

Thanks for doing this BTW.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:33 am

Bumping for the beginning of the hardest season for people who struggle with addiction.

I used to answer a few PMs, but they trickled off, so to update:

Six years sober, biglaw, now married. There was a no awkwardness at law school after month one, my SA was a shit show because I uncharacteristically tried to hide my issues, character and fitness process was unusually long, and no real issues now (other than occasionally having to listen to karaoke sober).

I'm here or on PM if you find your sobriety in danger, think you might have a problem, or are just curious. However, I'm only an expert on my own drinking.

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:18 am

SemperLegal wrote:Bumping for the beginning of the hardest season for people who struggle with addiction.

Six years sober, biglaw, now married. There was a no awkwardness at law school after month one, my SA was a shit show because I uncharacteristically tried to hide my issues, character and fitness process was unusually long, and no real issues now (other than occasionally having to listen to karaoke sober).

I'm here or on PM if you find your sobriety in danger, think you might have a problem, or are just curious. However, I'm only an expert on my own drinking.

thanks a lot for doing this, are you able to make regular meetings now with the big law gig? what about 1l? I've got four years myself and don't like the idea of becoming to busy for the program.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:43 am

Maplesyrup wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Bumping for the beginning of the hardest season for people who struggle with addiction.

thanks a lot for doing this, are you able to make regular meetings now with the big law gig? what about 1l? I've got four years myself and don't like the idea of becoming to busy for the program.

Congrats on the time!

I don't work a program regularly, but that's a personal choice I don't recommend. That being said, there's definitely ample time and opportunity in both law school and practice for an hour meeting a few times a week, and often time for more. There's also constant chatroom meetings that I used when my sobriety was in its infancy. They aren't ideal, but they can fight off the isolation and depression that sets in during the initial stages of a possible relapse and keeps us from showing our face at meetings.

At school, I went to a biggish law school on the undergrad campus in a decent sized city. So there were 3-5 meetings everyday (mostly beginner meetings, but step and speaker as well). Except during finals, I could have easily hit one on my way to or from class everyday. I It won't detract from your studies, because it takes the place of study breaks and definitely clears your head. I also wouldn't be shocked if you could form a study group just from fellow attendees.

For big law, I work in midtown Manhattan in the profession most prone to alcoholism. I think there's always a meeting within walking distance, as well as lawyer list servs and support groups. Making time is hard, it has to be a priority, but that's true anywhere. So I try to follow the best piece of advice I ever got: Anything you put above your sobriety you'll lose to your sickeness.

jbagelboy

Re: Lawyering in Recovery (Booze), Taking Questions.

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks for making this. For those of us about to enter the profession (3Ls) who have struggled with substance abuse issues in the past, I think it's tough to know how to avoid the triggers -- especially during high intensity periods. Often there's more compulsive drinking/drug use when stressed and under pressure, which is less a problem during easier times; when we're working around the clock with tight deadlines AND the economic freedom to indulge, could easily fall into a bad place.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”