Ties as an issue for international students

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Ties as an issue for international students

Postby Suzy_29 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi! I am currently looking at Wisconsin Madison, Indiana Bloomington, and Ohio State all with some money leaving tuition pretty much equal between all three. I am Canadian and while an American JD could potentially be brought back to Canada it is both costly, and the reputation of the JD might be in question after. Is it good enough that technically I have ties no where else? Furthermore both my TN visa or H1B will actually be contingent upon employment. I am just worried because I have heard that the home markets of all three schools are somewhat insular.

Re: Ties as an issue for international students

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Cant speak to the schools, but why don't you stay in Canada? I grew up in Canada and several people I know went to law school in the States and couldn't get a job and had to go back, then had to face the fact that converting their JD basically means they have to take another year of school (plus, of course, articling). Most employers will be hesitant to go through the trouble of sponsoring you for a visa when there are so many other qualified applicants. If you are deadset on going to the States, okay, but think long and hard about the risk.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”