Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby 941law » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 am

My boss at my internship will essentially say "write up a motion for X on so and so.." Is there a way to do motion searches on Lex/West? I see a "Filings" option on west law if you're looking at a case.

nick417
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby nick417 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm not aware of any on Lexis.

I use Lexis to find cases that are similar to the subject I am preparing a motion for and then look the case up on PACER and download the lawyer's motion and supporting memorandum.

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby 941law » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:14 pm

nick417 wrote:I'm not aware of any on Lexis.

I use Lexis to find cases that are similar to the subject I am preparing a motion for and then look the case up on PACER and download the lawyer's motion and supporting memorandum.


Image

TheGreatFish
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:16 am

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby TheGreatFish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 am

Westlaw gives you the ability to search court documents. You can also find a surprising number of filed motions using google.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:51 am

can you get access to old motions at your firm? that would give you a better format to follow

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:24 am

northwood wrote:can you get access to old motions at your firm? that would give you a better format to follow


Yea... Buddy up with an associate and get some old motions to look at...

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:08 am

reasonable_man wrote:
northwood wrote:can you get access to old motions at your firm? that would give you a better format to follow


Yea... Buddy up with an associate and get some old motions to look at...


Or hit up the document server.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 am

Westlaw Next also has a "form builder" that has tons of sample motions and you just insert the party names and add what you need to.

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: Pulling motions from Lexis or Westlaw

Postby 941law » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests