7 free months till 1L what to do? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stacy

New

7 free months till 1L what to do?

Post by stacy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:10 pm

I have seven months of absolutely nothing planned till I start law school. I will be attending a T10 haven't heard back from all the schools yet.

What is the best thing for me to do now? Should I learn a bunch of 1L courses with hornbooks? Should I read legal writing books? Work for a random law firm as a secretary?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Last edited by stacy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Re: 7 free momths till 1L what to do?

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Make money, have fun, fuck bitches.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Post subject: 7 free momths till 1L what to do?
Learn how to spell/type

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Make money, have fun, fuck bitches.
+1, +1, +1, +1 & +1.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 pm

stacy wrote:I have seven months of absolutely nothing planned till I start law school. I will be attending a T10 haven't heard back from all the schools yet.

What is the best thing for me to do now? Should I learn a bunch of 1L courses with hornbooks? Should I read legal writing books? Work for a random law firm as a secretary?

Travel if you can afford it, otherwise work some silly job unlike anything you've ever contemplated, just for the experience and the stories (not to mention something to discuss during future job interviews)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm

dingbat wrote:
stacy wrote:I have seven months of absolutely nothing planned till I start law school. I will be attending a T10 haven't heard back from all the schools yet.

Travel if you can afford it, otherwise work some silly job unlike anything you've ever contemplated, just for the experience and the stories (not to mention something to discuss during future job interviews)
drive a taxi

stacy

New

Post by stacy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Learn how to spell/type
Sorry I'm on my mobile. Just a typo.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! Would a random expericance be better to talk about for a job interview than a job at a law firm?

Also I would like to study now. Is there really no advantage to learning 1L courses before school?

Driving a taxi sounds like fun! Where do I sign up? Do I have to buy a car, or do companies give me one?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:44 pm

stacy wrote:Is there really no advantage to learning 1L courses before school
None whatsoever - it can actually be harmful if you learn it incorrectly

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:00 pm

dingbat wrote:Travel if you can afford it
TITCR. Go backpacking for a few months if you have enough saved up. This could be your last chance to ever do that kind of thing again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Re: 7 free months till 1L what to do?

Post by stillwater » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Drink as many beers as possible.

ercmilla

New

Post by ercmilla » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 pm

I am skeptical when I hear that there is no bonus to reviewing course material before 1L.

Historically, getting a broad overview of the course material before the first day of class has always helped me learn the course material better during the semester. I also hear you can learn many 1L courses in a matter of weeks. Why not learn the course, then use the semester to learn the exam?

One objection I hear is that the professor may teach the respective course in a particular way. To be safe, you may want to figure out where you will attend law school and then research the best books to read for the professors teaching the 1L courses there.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

ercmilla wrote:I am skeptical when I hear that there is no bonus to reviewing course material before 1L.

Historically, getting a broad overview of the course material before the first day of class has always helped me learn the course material better during the semester. I also hear you can learn many 1L courses in a matter of weeks. Why not learn the course, then use the semester to learn the exam?

One objection I hear is that the professor may teach the respective course in a particular way. To be safe, you may want to figure out where you will attend law school and then research the best books to read for the professors teaching the 1L courses there.
You don't know which cases your prof will cover. You don't know which parts of those cases the prof will emphasize. You don't know if your prof will disagree with the cases or parts of cases that he assigns.

Simply put: you cannot learn before law school what you will be covering and since learning more than is required could easily be detrimental if you have not forgotten that by exam time it is a bad idea.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 pm

ercmilla wrote:I am skeptical when I hear that there is no bonus to reviewing course material before 1L.

Be skeptical all you want. These next months could be your last chance ever to relax completely and indulge yourself and your interests with no competing concerns. Read Getting To Maybe and do LEEWS if you must, but otherwise do not waste time on substantive prep. Enjoy the time off while you have it. If you don't, you WILL wish you had!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 pm

stacy wrote: Should I learn a bunch of 1L courses with hornbooks? Should I read legal writing books?
No, just no

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I gunned it up and did some pretty serious 0L prep. Read 4 E&Es, Getting to Maybe, Planet Law School II, etc.

The Civ Pro E&E was marginally useful because it gave me at least some clue what the latin terms meant and stuff. However, the amount I retained was next to nil and I could have benefited equally by just listening to the first six hours of Wentworth Miller's lecture tape the day before class.

Getting to Maybe, OTOH, was hugely beneficial. That is the only thing that I would recommend.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 am

Because of prior work experience and graduate level coursework I had extensive knowledge of one particular subject. Turned out I did no better than any other class

I know it's counterintuitive, but when just about everyone tells you the same thing, there's a reason. And don't think for a minute TLS isn't full of strivers who would gladly eat feces of they thought it'd get them a better grade. Honestly, 0L prep adds nothing and is a waste of time

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 am

work and have fun. youll have plenty of reading come this fall

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 am

I know it's impossible to listen to advice like this as a 0L.

So the things that have (marginally) benefited me:

-GTM
-TLS (look up an organized way to take notes, schedule your life, outline, brief (if that's your thing), etc).

When it comes to law school, it's kind of a "do it your own way because no one knows wtf they're doing" thing.
Get some ideas so you can try them out in the first couple weeks and be a couple weeks ahead of your classmates when it comes to the whole self-discovery thing.

Other than that, there are people that go into law school thinking they're at an advantage because they have every major case memorized/some crap like that and they do just as well as others. It's all about the professor and exam-taking.

stacy

New

Post by stacy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Thank you all so much! I bought Getting to Maybe and a ticket to Singapore/Tokyo wish me luck! :)

This is all counter-intuitive, but I'm trusting you guys.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:06 pm

stacy wrote:Thank you all so much! I bought Getting to Maybe and a ticket to Singapore/Tokyo wish me luck! :)

I have gone to Singapore before. That was a very wise decision. That country is unbelievably impressive. I highly recommend it to all of TLS. When you go, you should visit Orchid/Orchard Street. I forget the exact name. Take a lot of cash with you, because Singapore is ridiculously expensive.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 pm

stacy wrote:Thank you all so much! I bought Getting to Maybe and a ticket to Singapore/Tokyo wish me luck! :)

Good call, you won't regret it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 pm

same situation as you. I'm finishing up my undergrad right now and taking a law school prep. Its kind of a fluff class. We basically do practice tests (they give us a sheet of paper with relevant laws lol) and discuss note taking techniques and how to go about preparing for tests. That's about all I'm doing in terms of prep. After I graduate I'm of to the Virgin Islands and I'm just going to kick back and forget about the next three years and crushing student debt I'm about to face....Oh yeah and I guess I'll probably line up some type of housing in Philly...I imagine law school while homeless would suck.

stacy

New

Post by stacy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:09 am

So far I've explored: Toronto, Canada- Shanghai, China- Singapore- Maldives- Tokyo, Japan- Petra, Jordan- Tel Aviv/Jerusalem, Israel- and Paris, France.

Any other suggestions of where I should go next? Only 5 months left :)

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:13 am

South America - backpack from Argentina through Brazil then back to Chile/Peru, make your way up to Panama, go through Central America. Fun times.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Learn how to spell/type
Lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”