Greatest Law School or Career Success Stories? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scifiguy

Silver

Greatest Law School or Career Success Stories?

Post by scifiguy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm

What are some of the most inspirational and educational law school and/or legal career success stories you've heard of/seen?

For example, do any of you know of people who overcame some great ostacles or maybe started off in a low-paying legal job and then ended up being extraordinarily successful later on?

Would love to hear and learn from these!

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Re: Greatest Law School or Career Success Stories?

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm

joe jamail getting shit-hammered the night before closing arguments in a $10 billion case, and winning

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/joe_jamail

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:54 pm

There was a guy at my school last year who dropped out at the end of 1L after he ended up getting his dream job, which didn't require a JD at all.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 pm

My friend did two summers at a student practice org at law school and was jobless until 3L spring. Ended up getting a sweet law-related expert witness gig that pays substantially more than biglaw, has fewer hours, no face time requirement and no dress code.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Gary Spence has never lost a criminal case in his life. He went to University of Wyoming Law. Pretty badass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Spence

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arizonairish

New

Post by arizonairish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Joe Biden overcame serious academic misconduct charges at Syracuse Law School to become the Vice President.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:My friend did two summers at a student practice org at law school and was jobless until 3L spring. Ended up getting a sweet law-related expert witness gig that pays substantially more than biglaw, has fewer hours, no face time requirement and no dress code.

How in the hell did he get a job as "expert" witness out of law school? Don't expert witnesses have years of experience, hence, they are experts?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:My friend did two summers at a student practice org at law school and was jobless until 3L spring. Ended up getting a sweet law-related expert witness gig that pays substantially more than biglaw, has fewer hours, no face time requirement and no dress code.

How in the hell did he get a job as "expert" witness out of law school? Don't expert witnesses have years of experience, hence, they are experts?
He's not the expert witness. He writes the reports that the experts use to testify in court.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 am

arizonairish wrote:Joe Biden overcame serious academic misconduct charges at Syracuse Law School to become the Vice President.
Probably the most inspirational story posted here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 am

Can anyone start more pointless threads than this guy?

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:36 am

cinephile wrote:There was a guy at my school last year who dropped out at the end of 1L after he ended up getting his dream job, which didn't require a JD at all.
Can you tell us more?

Also, was he strategically dropping out due to poor grades, in order to cut his losses? Or did he drop out even with decent to good grades to take on that dream job?

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:36 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

He's not the expert witness. He writes the reports that the experts use to testify in court.
Are these jobs extremely rare? Who does a person go about getting one?

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:43 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Can anyone start more pointless threads than this guy?
Yes. But I don't feel like doing it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:16 am

scifiguy wrote:
cinephile wrote:There was a guy at my school last year who dropped out at the end of 1L after he ended up getting his dream job, which didn't require a JD at all.
Can you tell us more?

Also, was he strategically dropping out due to poor grades, in order to cut his losses? Or did he drop out even with decent to good grades to take on that dream job?
Know two guys like this, actually. One wanted to be a foreign service officer and was hoping that law school made him more competitive for that. He applied and got in, so he dropped out of law school because 1) they don't wait and 2) what's the point if you only did it to become more competitive?

The other guy wanted some kind of health care administrative position. He was concentrating in health law, but somehow found his dream job and they took him on, so he dropped out of law school. He too was only doing law school to be more competitive for this type of job, not because of any real desire to do law.

As far as I know, neither had poor grades, which is why people were surprised when they dropped out. The people who dropped out with poor grades did so at the end of first semester, which is the smart thing to do.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:07 pm

scifiguy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Are these jobs extremely rare? Who does a person go about getting one?
I have seen a couple posted on our careers website in the past two years (Charles River Associates) but I'd say these are pretty rare.

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm sure a lot of us know the story of Andres Idarraga who went from jail to Yale Law School.

http://www.today.com/id/26661590/site/t ... SVRXVqlDqw

Great story.

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:41 am

jcccc wrote:I'm sure a lot of us know the story of Andres Idarraga who went from jail to Yale Law School.

Great story.
That's pretty amazing! Good for him for turning his life around.

Is this normal though ...for former criminals to attend top law schools? What about rapists, murderers, child molestors, etc.?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:34 am

arizonairish wrote:Joe Biden overcame serious academic misconduct charges at Syracuse Law School to become the Vice President.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 pm

scifiguy wrote:
jcccc wrote:I'm sure a lot of us know the story of Andres Idarraga who went from jail to Yale Law School.

Great story.

Is this normal though ...for former criminals to attend top law schools? What about rapists, murderers, child molestors, etc.?
Yes. Law schools are filled with rapists, murderers, and child molesters. :roll:

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:25 pm

scifiguy wrote:What are some of the most inspirational and educational law school and/or legal career success stories you've heard of/seen?

For example, do any of you know of people who overcame some great ostacles or maybe started off in a low-paying legal job and then ended up being extraordinarily successful later on?

Would love to hear and learn from these!
Someone I know went from a junkie who'd sometimes be too poor to eat for a week to winning awards for XYZ financial product sales 3 years in a row (to the tune of 9 figures a year)

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:00 pm

scifiguy wrote:

Great story.

A convicted murderer went to Tulane. With a scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:18 pm

http://nation.foxnews.com/columbia-univ ... cop-killer

Old news, but employed at Columbia school of social work and NYU law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”