Which Pre-Law Job would you take? (File Clerk Positions)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschool?s

Which Pre-Law Job would you take? (File Clerk Positions)

Postby lawschool?s » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm

I will be entering law school in the fall and have two firms to choose from to work minimal jobs. I just wanted some experience and resume filler for OCI next year.

Where would be a better place to start off:

30 Attorney Firm
Collections/Foreclosure Work
Not Prestigous
Pays Slightly Better
Probably No Chance to Network from Lawyers
Attorneys from T100
more intensive work, leans toward legal assistant

80 Attorney Firm
Probate Work
Semi Prestigous (In Vault Rankings for my region/not too close to the top though)
Less Pay
Work seems less intensive, more file clerk oriented
I don't know if I could network within the firm, but I would definately apply during law school)

I don't know which would be a better choice? Does it matter?

eerie_erie

Re: Which Pre-Law Job would you take? (File Clerk Positions)

Postby eerie_erie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:43 am

Based on the two options you've given me, it really doesn't matter what you do before law school. Or really even 1L summer. I would go for the more pay one so you have some disposable income.

lawschool?s

Postby lawschool?s » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 am

Anyone else?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 am

lawschool?s wrote:Anyone else?

Take the money and don't look back. They seem too indistinguishable to nitpick the other points.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 am

If I were in your position I would choose the more prestigious firm and network, network, network. You might not want to work there in the future but it's always good to have that option if you strike out at OCI. Make friends, work hard, and make a couple of people there love you. That's worth more than a couple extra $$/hr.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:08 am

Upon graduation I had similar options when choose where I would be a paralegal/file clerk. I could either work more intensively for a small firm for less money or for a big firm doing less intensive work for more money.

I ultimately chose the smaller one, because I would be immediately exposed to the kind of work that the lawyers do, and I would get more face-time with them. It has really helped me get a realistic sense of the profession.

Because it's somewhat small, they have more wiggle room in order to tailor my experience here to my interests, and I've really been able to network in my region rather easily as a result. They've even been rather involved in my law school application process.

Doing something less intensive would have just gotten boring, and I don't believe that it would have exposed me to the kind of work the attorneys actually do. I do wish, of course, that I were paid more, but I can still survive on the pennies I get paid now.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”