What kind of jobs can you get while you are a law student?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
barberiolisa

What kind of jobs can you get while you are a law student?

Postby barberiolisa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm

If someone were to begin 2L at a decent law school (Columbia University, NYU), are there any jobs they can work as a law student? Like for example would Goldman Sachs hire law students as analysts? What about Merrill Lynch or Charles Schwab?

thesealocust

Re: What kind of jobs can you get while you are a law student?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:44 pm

You can get jobs at the library? Very rarely a law firm, especially one with a less established gigantic summer program, will hire law students to do work over the school year.

I sincerely doubt Goldman sees much benefit to hire snot-nosed 2L. To the extent they do, I'd imagine it's for post-graduation employment, or maybe a summer program.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm

barberiolisa wrote:If someone were to begin 2L at a decent law school (Columbia University, NYU), are there any jobs they can work as a law student? Like for example would Goldman Sachs hire law students as analysts? What about Merrill Lynch or Charles Schwab?

i dunno but why are you going to law school if you want to work in finance?

Void

Postby Void » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 pm

stillwater wrote:
barberiolisa wrote:If someone were to begin 2L at a decent law school (Columbia University, NYU), are there any jobs they can work as a law student? Like for example would Goldman Sachs hire law students as analysts? What about Merrill Lynch or Charles Schwab?

This. OP must be looking for top-business-schools.com

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Goldman has a program for Yale students only where they hire you during your 3L year and you do classes some days in New Haven and then you come to NYC to work on a few days.....pretty sweet deal....I think they put you up for the nights in NYC, too. :jealous:

There are *some* good jobs available. I have a pretty sweet job this year at a public financial services company....make $40/hour working ~15 hours/week (wish I could do more but I am overcommitted) and getting some in-house experience. I love it, and I wish I could go straight there out of law school rather than to a firm. But this position, which appeared on my symplicity, is the only one I have ever seen on there like this. I don't check it religiously, though, since I have a job. You can always send your resume and cover letter off to GC's offices at various companies and see what bites. I wasn't that organized - the place I am working was the only place I applied.

If you are willing to work for free, then tons of stuff is available. In addition to clinics and externships (paying to work - yay!), there are many legal services organizations and government agencies that hire interns during the year. You need to be in an area where there are lots of these organizations, though. Where is your school?

Also, maybe I should'v gotten to this earlier, but if you are a 0L, everyone on here is right; if you want to work at Goldman, go get a job there now...much easier to do that than to try to do it during/after law school.....unless you go to Yale.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:28 am

There are a couple of hedge funds in Boston that hire students for 20hrs/week jobs during the school year. The work is law related but not purely legal. I would guess similar positions are available in NYC.

If you're not set on finance, LSAT tutoring is a sweet gig. The pay is decent ($50-100/hr) and the hours are flexible. If you're at CLS/NYU you should have the required LSAT score.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 am

Void wrote:
stillwater wrote:

This. OP must be looking for top-business-schools.com

I'm an Evening at Fordham with that type of job but I had the job before going to law school, does that count? I don't know about getting one as a 2L, what's your background, what do you have to offer? If you graduated undergrad summa cum laude from Wharton or something then sure you can probably get it :). Unless your already established, leaving even at 5:30 for classes is usually not really an option in bulge bracket banks though...

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm

What's the best way to find LSAT tutoring?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”