Setting up my law school study room...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Grazzhoppa

Re: Setting up my law school study room...

Postby Grazzhoppa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:59 am

how do you guys study in a starbucks? they are so noisy.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:32 am

A Shrederrrr and a corkboard are indispensable.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:37 pm

jwinaz wrote:I find studying/reading on a bean bag works well for me. An overly stuffy room or atmosphere can kind of bore me to sleep.

But I know each person is different, so what works for you mayh not work for others.

Have you ever thrived in this type of "set-up" before? If not, then you might want to see if you can even read in that type of environment. It would stink to get into the grind of LS and realize your set-up doesn't work.

Yeah used the same room for my last 2 years of undergrad...just wanted to improve it for LS. I like having an "office" to work out of. I did most of my reading at the kitchen table over dinner though (really just skimming and highlighting) but having to lean over while reading really hurts my back after a while, hence the comfortable reading chair I'd like to look into.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 am

It's all about the chair. Look for sales at Staples and office depot. You really want an office chair that is no less than 200 bucks. It will last you for years.

Revamped

Postby Revamped » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:how do you guys study in a starbucks? they are so noisy.

I like the noise, at least as long as I have my headphones in.

Plus quick access to expresso is key.

whosonfirst

Postby whosonfirst » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 am

Revamped wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:how do you guys study in a starbucks? they are so noisy.

I like the noise, at least as long as I have my headphones in.

Plus quick access to expresso is key.

+1

With my Starbucks Gold Card, I get free refills. My goal is to get all 12 drinks + free one in one day. Here's looking at you LS finals!

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Tom Joad wrote:A Shrederrrr and a corkboard are indispensable.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Borg

Postby Borg » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:20 pm

bdm261 wrote:I'm looking for some ideas for setting up my "war room" where I estimate I'll be spending 5 or 6 hours a day studying. I was wondering if anyone set up a room like this similarly and what they did.

Is there any useful furniture, accessories, supplies etc. that anyone could recommend? I don't start 1L until the Fall, so I could use the time to maybe find some used items on Craigslist or yard sales for a deal and get everything together slowly. Here's what I think I'll furnish so far:

General Furniture:
- Filing Cabinet (how many drawers should be enough?, I think one 2-drawer one should do)

- Large Desk w/ room for Laptop plus space to spread papers out on

- Bookcase, how many books should I plan on filling it with, how much shelf space is enough?

- Ergonomic Desk Chair, anyone prefer a brand?

- A comfortable reading chair

- Lamps

Office Crap:

- Stapler

- Hole Punch

- Inbox/Outbox

- Large Dry Erase Board

- Large Cork Board

Computer Stuff/Appliances:
- Laser Printer, preferable a 3 in 1 system (anyone prefer a certain one?)

- A good Shredder

- Should I get a desktop or use a laptop? During UG I used my laptop for everything, brought it to school and took notes, then used it as a desktop during evenings/weekends to type papers or whatever.

There are a number of items on the list that make me wonder what the fuck you are thinking/what year you think it is.

1. What the hell are you going to do with a file cabinet? Are you going to have any files? I don't have any files, and I'm almost done with law school.

2. The cork board, dry erase board, and inbox/outbox are all equally mind boggling. What are you going to put on any of these boards? If you have a big collection of "Cathy" cartoons and want to have handy access to Chinese menus I guess the cork board makes sense, but otherwise I can't imagine what you would have in law school that would necessitate a cork board. Same goes for the dry erase board - what the fuck are you going to write on there? And the inbox/outbox makes the littlest sense of all. What are you going to do, drop your books in the inbox when you're about to read them and then stick them in the outbox when you've finished the assignment?

3. The shredder. Are you going to be reading a lot of sensitive, classified publicly available cases from the 1980s in your classes that you need to destroy afterwards? No need for this.

If I were building a "war room" I think I'd go with big desk, work chair, good laptop computer, and comfortable chair maybe. Otherwise I'd just focus on decorating the room nicely so that you don't hate hanging out in there.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 am

All you need is a really large desk.

Optional though helpful stuff might include a computer.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:09 am

Borg wrote:
3. The shredder. Are you going to be reading a lot of sensitive, classified publicly available cases from the 1980s in your classes that you need to destroy afterwards? No need for this.

This can be good for getting rid of financial statements, bills, etc. I actually shred all my mail. It's really soothing.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm

The shredder has no relation to LS studying but for $20 you can get one at target and figured they're an essential office thing plus useful for getting rid of anything with my name, bank account, ss #

As for the cork board thought it might be useful to hang important reminders, helpful mnemonics, elements of torts/crimes I may need to drill into my head, that kinda thing.

The file cabinet was suggested to me in Law School Confidential.

purr se

Postby purr se » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:06 am

cinephile wrote: I actually shred all my mail. It's really soothing.

Shredding is wicked soothing.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:14 am

You need:

1) A desk with drawers big enough to hold bottles of Woodford Reserve.
2) A mini fridge to put your Deschutes IPA and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter in for when you don't feel like Woodford Reserve.
3) A large enough computer monitor to double as a TV for when you're trying to study but Pawn Stars is on.
4) A super comfortable padded chair.
5) A nicely padded rug under the chair for when you fall out of the chair after too much Woodford Reserve.
6) A padded keyboard wrist rest to double as padding for when you feel like banging your head against something.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 am

What do you need a Filing Cabinet for? I'm convinced filing cabinets are a flame. Every office I've ever worked in the filing cabinets were always filled with shit no one wanted to sort/throw out.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:05 am

dr123 wrote:What do you need a Filing Cabinet for? I'm convinced filing cabinets are a flame. Every office I've ever worked in the filing cabinets were always filled with shit no one wanted to sort/throw out.

The only place I have ever seen them used was in a DA office I shadowed at. They actually USED the things. I was so shocked I had to ask them what they kept in there.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 am

i use a dry erase board so i can write down important dates, and not have to worry about misplacing the note( its on the wall)

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 am

After repeatedly reading critiques of OP's Shredder, this came to mind:

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 am

In support of the filing cabinet, some classes have handouts etc which I file away, I also have a file for job search/career and Note research. If you ever do a clinic you will likely have a lot of papers from it that need to be kept safe. (shredder might come in handy here as well once you have finished the clinic).

A dry erase board has been one of the most useful things to me. I put notes up there, running tally of # of classes missed, any plans or projects that I need to keep in mind, I also use it to plan projects and brainstorm...

I've always used this method, in my previous career as well, so I find it quite useful. If you are that type of person you will use it a bunch, if you've never used it before and never had a need for it, then just buying it probably wont change that.

smoovgee

Postby smoovgee » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:59 am

Hijacking/reviving this thread. I'm setting up a study room because I need a place with no tv/radio, etc. Also, I don't study in bed. That's for sex and sleeping. Nothing else goes on there.

My "war room" will also double as my gaming room. Yes. I will be playing video games. That'll be my stress reliever. That and sex.

It'll be bare bones though, a desk, my desktop, chair, monitor, couple posters, printer, some office supplies. Basic.

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 am

Excuse me my short-sighted minions: buying useless crap => more money injected into economy => economy improves => more biglaw for all => everybody wins!

OP, you'll also be needing the new TV Hat system to review your lecture slides as you walk from class to class.

--ImageRemoved--

Not to mention the iArm, necessary for reading ATL while simultaneously scheduling your next firm interview by phone.

And who could forget the Potty Putter, to practice in preparation for your networking sessions with law firm partners!

No 0L gunner should be without any of them.

Lizard

Postby Lizard » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:27 am

cinephile wrote:I normally just sit on my bed.

Hahahaha. Me too! I seriously get my best work done from the bed.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:09 am

Don't buy any of that. Use your kitchen counter and save you money for important things like coffee or booze.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:14 am

Lizard wrote:
cinephile wrote:I normally just sit on my bed.

Hahahaha. Me too! I seriously get my best work done from the bed.

a/s/l?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:41 pm

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”