Setting up my law school study room...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bdm261

Setting up my law school study room...

Postby bdm261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm looking for some ideas for setting up my "war room" where I estimate I'll be spending 5 or 6 hours a day studying. I was wondering if anyone set up a room like this similarly and what they did.

Is there any useful furniture, accessories, supplies etc. that anyone could recommend? I don't start 1L until the Fall, so I could use the time to maybe find some used items on Craigslist or yard sales for a deal and get everything together slowly. Here's what I think I'll furnish so far:

General Furniture:
- Filing Cabinet (how many drawers should be enough?, I think one 2-drawer one should do)

- Large Desk w/ room for Laptop plus space to spread papers out on

- Bookcase, how many books should I plan on filling it with, how much shelf space is enough?

- Ergonomic Desk Chair, anyone prefer a brand?

- A comfortable reading chair

- Lamps

Office Crap:

- Stapler

- Hole Punch

- Inbox/Outbox

- Large Dry Erase Board

- Large Cork Board

Computer Stuff/Appliances:
- Laser Printer, preferable a 3 in 1 system (anyone prefer a certain one?)

- A good Shredder

- Should I get a desktop or use a laptop? During UG I used my laptop for everything, brought it to school and took notes, then used it as a desktop during evenings/weekends to type papers or whatever.

WhiteyCakes

Re: Setting up my law school study room...

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:09 pm

wow

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

I normally just sit on my bed.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:24 pm

cinephile wrote:I normally just sit on my bed.

+1

I sit on my bed. If I'm really feeling ambitious, I will sit at my desk, but it usually just holds stacks of papers, books, etc.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 pm

5 to 6 hours studying is only about 40 hours a week studying. You really think that's going to be enough, even with your primative war room set up? C'mon man. 1L is not the time to slack off.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 pm

you should definitely hire a secretary.

tim.jonner

Postby tim.jonner » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 pm

5 to 6 hours a day is weak. You'd be doing this war room a disservice.

Put a cot in there for all nighters.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:36 pm

I just read some of your previous posts. Stop focusing any energy on your war room and retake the LSAT. That is completely serious, non-sarcastic advice. Do not attend Cleveland State Law School or CWRU Law. Or any law school in Ohio other than OSU with $

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm

bdm261 wrote:- A good Shredder

:?:

What is wrong with you?

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm

- Bookcase, how many books should I plan on filling it with, how much shelf space is enough?

Um... youll probably have 5 main text books per semester. Maybe some classes will also assign a smaller book. Then maybe 1 or 2 suppliments per class.
- A good Shredder

Why do you need this? :?
- Should I get a desktop or use a laptop? During UG I used my laptop for everything, brought it to school and took notes, then used it as a desktop during evenings/weekends to type papers or whatever.

If you can afford it, both. If not, Get a really nice, big screened lap top. I use a Think Pad 530, and I love it.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm

OP used to work at Arthur Anderson

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm

don't get a desk, get a kitchen table. More space.

Dead serious.

EDIT: also, stop reading Law School Confidential, except for the part where it says don't go to a non-top-20 school, and edit that part to say t-14.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:49 pm

stillwater wrote:you should definitely hire a secretary.

TITCR

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:5 to 6 hours studying is only about 40 hours a week studying. You really think that's going to be enough, even with your primative war room set up? C'mon man. 1L is not the time to slack off.

I assumed this is his nightly war room. And that he'd study 8-8 in the library. That'd make like 120 hours. Which should be enough to get median if he masters IRAC.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:59 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:I just read some of your previous posts. Stop focusing any energy on your war room and retake the LSAT. That is completely serious, non-sarcastic advice. Do not attend Cleveland State Law School or CWRU Law. Or any law school in Ohio other than OSU with $

I can't really take the LSAT again. I have a full-time job that leaves me mentally exhausted every night and the weekends are just spent recovering from work.

I realize how that sounds on TLS and how I probably look to all the top 14/170s out there, but I am currently stuck in an $8/hr job that I was looking forward to leaving in August and I'm already going to be be 31 when I graduate law school so I want to get the ball rolling. There is no worthwhile employment in my city for anyone with a B.A. in Interpersonal and Public Communication besides telemarketing gigs.

I'd like to have a shot at some kind of career before 40.

I am applying to OSU as well, LSN seems to indicate I have a good chance at acceptance this cycle though maybe with no $.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm

bdm261 wrote: I can't really take the LSAT again. I have a full-time job that leaves me mentally exhausted every night and the weekends are just spent recovering from work.

Retake in June anyway

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm

I've been making a list like this too. Check slickdeals they have some good sales for executive chairs

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?for ... irstonly=1

http://slickdeals.net/f/5796768-LORELL- ... 28-12-w-FS

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm

bdm261 wrote:
drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:I just read some of your previous posts. Stop focusing any energy on your war room and retake the LSAT. That is completely serious, non-sarcastic advice. Do not attend Cleveland State Law School or CWRU Law. Or any law school in Ohio other than OSU with $

I can't really take the LSAT again. I have a full-time job that leaves me mentally exhausted every night and the weekends are just spent recovering from work.

I realize how that sounds on TLS and how I probably look to all the top 14/170s out there, but I am currently stuck in an $8/hr job that I was looking forward to leaving in August and I'm already going to be be 31 when I graduate law school so I want to get the ball rolling. There is no worthwhile employment in my city for anyone with a B.A. in Interpersonal and Public Communication besides telemarketing gigs.

I'd like to have a shot at some kind of career before 40.

I am applying to OSU as well, LSN seems to indicate I have a good chance at acceptance this cycle though maybe with no $.

1) build study room in current residence
2) quit $8hr job
3) get at home telemarket job
4) buy manhattan lsat books
5) study step 4 in step 1
6) get biglaw at age 36 and make bank

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Retake while working full-time is tough. (I did it twice.) And $8/hr is brutal. But you know what's worse? 4 years from now: unemployed or underemployed, with 200-250K of debt. It will be closer to 250K if you're buying ridiculous things like custom office chairs, printers, and deluxe paper shredders.

With 155 / 3.3 lets assume you're looking at CRWU or Akron, because OSU is likely not going to happen.

55.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs at Akron. 46.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. Moreover, the median salary at Akron (of those 55.2%) was about 54K. Median salary at CRWU (again, only the 46.8%) was 70K.

So, EVEN IF you get a full tuition scholarship to one of these schools. You'll be in debt about 60K for your three years of living expenses. The general rule of thumb is that Law School debt should be less than or equal to your first year salary. And remember, only half of the class at each school is getting a LT, FT Legal job. This is your best case scenario.

If you're hell-bent on law school, your only reasonable choice is retake. Additionally, I'd suggest looking beyond only Northeast Ohio.

Data taken from http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:Retake while working full-time is tough. (I did it twice.) And $8/hr is brutal. But you know what's worse? 4 years from now: unemployed or underemployed, with 200-250K of debt. It will be closer to 250K if you're buying ridiculous things like custom office chairs, printers, and deluxe paper shredders.

With 155 / 3.3 lets assume you're looking at CRWU or Akron, because OSU is likely not going to happen.

55.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs at Akron. 46.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. Moreover, the median salary at Akron (of those 55.2%) was about 54K. Median salary at CRWU (again, only the 46.8%) was 70K.

So, EVEN IF you get a full tuition scholarship to one of these schools. You'll be in debt about 60K for your three years of living expenses. The general rule of thumb is that Law School debt should be less than or equal to your first year salary. And remember, only half of the class at each school is getting a LT, FT Legal job. This is your best case scenario.

If you're hell-bent on law school, your only reasonable choice is retake. Additionally, I'd suggest looking beyond only Northeast Ohio.

Data taken from http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

http://osu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

It looks like according to LSN, Ohio State accepted as least 3 or 4 applicants at or below my numbers, and I don't think all of them were URM. It's $21 to apply so I'll give it a shot...not expecting any miracles.

As far as Akron goes, every lawyer, or family member, or anyone else in the loop seems to think as long as I go to Akron, I'm "immune" from the legal employment crisis since I've spent my whole life here and have a fair amount of relatives and family friends involved in the local legal scene. I hate to rely on connections but if you have them, I guess you're dumb not to use them.

I am not sure how accurate this is but everyone seems to think as long as I go to Akron I and graduate I'll somehow end up a lawyer in this town...maybe nothing glamorous but I should be able to have what I need to survive comfortably. Also at Akron, I'm looking at $60,000 max in loans because I have a house a few miles away and I can live there.

So even if I retake, should I just choose Akron? I honestly feel like outcomes at the local, unheard of Tier-3: Akron with a 155 would be better off than going to some out-of-town Tier-2 with a 160.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm

- A good Shredder

Suppose it's not law study related but they run like $20 and never know when I need to get rid of credit card pre-approvals, or other crap with my SS# on it. Plus I can make paper mache or small animal bedding.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm

bdm261 wrote:

- A good Shredder

Suppose it's not law study related but they run like $20 and never know when I need to get rid of credit card pre-approvals, or other crap with my SS# on it. Plus I can make paper mache or small animal bedding.

Really important post

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:43 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
bdm261 wrote:

- A good Shredder

Really important post

Practical. These are tough times.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Lord knows when its time for belt-tightenin', my small animals' bedding is the first thing to go.

sportsaholic763

Postby sportsaholic763 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm

This post is ridiculous but awesome at the same time.

In terms of this 'war room,' PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”