Proper Law School Attire?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
grace123
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby grace123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 pm

cinephile wrote: If you make a dollar a day in a third-world sweatshop, sure that's another thing, but no law student will have any difficulty outfitting themselves properly.


There are people, probably in your class, that need to give loan money to their parents, to help feed their families, or to go towards child care costs. Your statements are really ignorant of a significant subsection of law students. Not everybody can have the choice of a $40 shirt or $50 on a night of drinking.

Also, to answer your question OP, wear whatever you want. Some people wear sweats, some wear shirt and tie every day. The fashion-based reputation stuff is completely overblown - your classmates/teachers are going to judge you on the way you act in class, towards your peers outside of class, and your demeanor in general. The ones that judge you on what you wear are the ones whose opinions you shouldn't care about anyway.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12746
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:04 am

:|

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 am

It's a fucking joke that law students pay thousands upon thousands for the privilege of a legal education but $40 for a shirt requires vast tracts of lands to become affordable.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 am

InGoodFaith wrote:It's a fucking joke that law students pay thousands upon thousands for the privilege of a legal education but $40 for a shirt requires vast tracts of lands to become affordable.


It's a fucking joke that you're going to law school and so incredibly dense. You've literally missed the point entirely on each of your 'rebuttals'. The issue is you say $40 isn't a lot of money. For some people, it fucking is. Learn to fucking read a not so nuanced argument or shut up with your entitled bullshit. jfc

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am

You need to calm down.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12746
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 am

LRGhost wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:It's a fucking joke that law students pay thousands upon thousands for the privilege of a legal education but $40 for a shirt requires vast tracts of lands to become affordable.


It's a fucking joke that you're going to law school and so incredibly dense. You've literally missed the point entirely on each of your 'rebuttals'. The issue is you say $40 isn't a lot of money. For some people, it fucking is. Learn to fucking read a not so nuanced argument or shut up with your entitled bullshit. jfc


welcometotls.jpg

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

Don't you people already have a thread where you can wax poetic about dress shirts?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Don't you people already have a thread where you can wax poetic about dress shirts?

It's for wealthy posters. This thread is for welfare queens only.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Don't you people already have a thread where you can wax poetic about dress shirts?

It's for wealthy posters only.

We get it, you're mad that some people have to make sacrifices and can't afford $40 dress shirts. Let's just move the Brooks Brothers adulation back to the regular fashion thread where it belongs and return this thread to whatever tedious nonsense it was originally about.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Don't you people already have a thread where you can wax poetic about dress shirts?

It's for wealthy posters. This thread is for welfare queens only.


I'm prole as fuck but one day I'll shop exclusively at Barney's.

You, otoh, idolize Brooks Brothers.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12746
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

Where can I get the cheapest rolly bag?

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 am

OP, I literally saw a kid wearing a chicken suit last week...so wear whatever you want, even if it's a $40 shirt (just don't go around bragging to everyone how much it cost).

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 am

Bildungsroman wrote:We get it, you're mad that some people have to make sacrifices and can't afford $40 dress shirts. Let's just move the Brooks Brothers adulation back to the regular fashion thread where it belongs and return this thread to whatever tedious nonsense it was originally about.

You are awfully concerned with forum administration for someone who is neither a forum administrator nor a moderator.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:We get it, you're mad that some people have to make sacrifices and can't afford $40 dress shirts. Let's just move the Brooks Brothers adulation back to the regular fashion thread where it belongs and return this thread to whatever tedious nonsense it was originally about.

You are awfully concerned with forum administration for someone who is neither a forum administrator nor a moderator.


Literally nobody here agrees with you. You're an insufferable mouth-breather.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 am

Fucking Christ. $40 may be a huge amount of money to some people, but that should stop about the time you go to graduate / professional school. It's not that much for a decent dress shirt, particularly in the context of what law school costs.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 am

LRGhost wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:We get it, you're mad that some people have to make sacrifices and can't afford $40 dress shirts. Let's just move the Brooks Brothers adulation back to the regular fashion thread where it belongs and return this thread to whatever tedious nonsense it was originally about.

You are awfully concerned with forum administration for someone who is neither a forum administrator nor a moderator.


Literally nobody here agrees with you. You're an insufferable mouth-breather.

Wrong. I agree with IGF, and he is also neither insufferable nor a mouth-breather.

User avatar
Shmoopy
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby Shmoopy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 am

It's not even a matter of money -- if you have good taste and some patience, you can get plenty of nice stuff at Goodwill. Dat trickle down.

LOLOL proles with bad taste. Just don't wear black dress shirts and red silk ties like a band geek.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 am

Shmoopy wrote:It's not even a matter of money -- if you have good taste and some patience, you can get plenty of nice stuff at Goodwill. Dat trickle down.

LOLOL proles with bad taste. Just don't wear black dress shirts and red silk ties like a band geek.

At the first firm reception I went to, there was a guy wearing a brown suit, orange shirt, red tie with christmas trees, and a fedora.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 am

I plan on rocking a pocket watch and fedora when I have money. Maybe even a bowler if I am feeling particularly daring that day.

User avatar
lawhopeful10
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby lawhopeful10 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am

To give what I feel is a pretty fair assessment, yes for some people $40 is a lot for a shirt, whether they are law students or not.
However, when it comes to dressing nice for interviews and the like one should be able to find the money for such a quality of shirt. Like those previously have said you have already invested all this money for a job, what is $40 so you look halfway decent during an interview.
In sum, if you need to use loan money, money from family, or give handjobs after school to buy a nice button down for interviews, it seems like you should and this applies to most interviews not just for law.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 am

Dany wrote:Wrong. I agree with IGF, and he is also neither insufferable nor a mouth-breather.

You're too kind.

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:To give what I feel is a pretty fair assessment, yes for some people $40 is a lot for a shirt, whether they are law students or not.
However, when it comes to dressing nice for interviews and the like one should be able to find the money for such a quality of shirt. Like those previously have said you have already invested all this money for a job, what is $40 so you look halfway decent during an interview.
In sum, if you need to use loan money, money from family, or give handjobs after school to buy a nice button down for interviews, it seems like you should and this applies to most interviews not just for law.


Of all the example you could give, why'd you pick hand jobs?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am

kalvano wrote:Fucking Christ. $40 may be a huge amount of money to some people, but that should stop about the time you go to graduate / professional school. It's not that much for a decent dress shirt, particularly in the context of what law school costs.

How does going to school mitigate something being expensive rather than exacerbate it? $40 is a lot to someone who has kids and can't work because he's a full-time student in a demanding program who's also trying to help raise his kids.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am

kalvano wrote:Fucking Christ. $40 may be a huge amount of money to some people, but that should stop about the time you go to graduate / professional school. It's not that much for a decent dress shirt, particularly in the context of what law school costs.


$40 is a lot more money to me now that I've graduated. ducy?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:09 am

grace123 wrote:
cinephile wrote: If you make a dollar a day in a third-world sweatshop, sure that's another thing, but no law student will have any difficulty outfitting themselves properly.


There are people, probably in your class, that need to give loan money to their parents, to help feed their families, or to go towards child care costs. Your statements are really ignorant of a significant subsection of law students. Not everybody can have the choice of a $40 shirt or $50 on a night of drinking.

Also, to answer your question OP, wear whatever you want. Some people wear sweats, some wear shirt and tie every day. The fashion-based reputation stuff is completely overblown - your classmates/teachers are going to judge you on the way you act in class, towards your peers outside of class, and your demeanor in general. The ones that judge you on what you wear are the ones whose opinions you shouldn't care about anyway.


I've seen every single person from my former section at bar review. Believe me, there is not a one who doesn't spend vast amounts of money on alcohol every weekend. Please stop your concern trolling and just come out with it and be honest --- you're cheap. You don't want to spend money on clothes and you'd rather spend it on other things. That's cool, just don't lie about it and make yourself out to be holier than thou. Lying about poverty is never cool, dude.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests