Proper Law School Attire?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
grace123

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby grace123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 pm

cinephile wrote: If you make a dollar a day in a third-world sweatshop, sure that's another thing, but no law student will have any difficulty outfitting themselves properly.

There are people, probably in your class, that need to give loan money to their parents, to help feed their families, or to go towards child care costs. Your statements are really ignorant of a significant subsection of law students. Not everybody can have the choice of a $40 shirt or $50 on a night of drinking.

Also, to answer your question OP, wear whatever you want. Some people wear sweats, some wear shirt and tie every day. The fashion-based reputation stuff is completely overblown - your classmates/teachers are going to judge you on the way you act in class, towards your peers outside of class, and your demeanor in general. The ones that judge you on what you wear are the ones whose opinions you shouldn't care about anyway.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:04 am

:|

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 am

It's a fucking joke that law students pay thousands upon thousands for the privilege of a legal education but $40 for a shirt requires vast tracts of lands to become affordable.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 am

InGoodFaith wrote:It's a fucking joke that law students pay thousands upon thousands for the privilege of a legal education but $40 for a shirt requires vast tracts of lands to become affordable.

It's a fucking joke that you're going to law school and so incredibly dense. You've literally missed the point entirely on each of your 'rebuttals'. The issue is you say $40 isn't a lot of money. For some people, it fucking is. Learn to fucking read a not so nuanced argument or shut up with your entitled bullshit. jfc

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am

You need to calm down.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 am

LRGhost wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:It's a fucking joke that law students pay thousands upon thousands for the privilege of a legal education but $40 for a shirt requires vast tracts of lands to become affordable.

It's a fucking joke that you're going to law school and so incredibly dense. You've literally missed the point entirely on each of your 'rebuttals'. The issue is you say $40 isn't a lot of money. For some people, it fucking is. Learn to fucking read a not so nuanced argument or shut up with your entitled bullshit. jfc

welcometotls.jpg

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

Don't you people already have a thread where you can wax poetic about dress shirts?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Don't you people already have a thread where you can wax poetic about dress shirts?

It's for wealthy posters. This thread is for welfare queens only.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Don't you people already have a thread where you can wax poetic about dress shirts?

It's for wealthy posters only.

We get it, you're mad that some people have to make sacrifices and can't afford $40 dress shirts. Let's just move the Brooks Brothers adulation back to the regular fashion thread where it belongs and return this thread to whatever tedious nonsense it was originally about.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

InGoodFaith wrote:

It's for wealthy posters. This thread is for welfare queens only.

I'm prole as fuck but one day I'll shop exclusively at Barney's.

You, otoh, idolize Brooks Brothers.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

Where can I get the cheapest rolly bag?

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 am

OP, I literally saw a kid wearing a chicken suit last week...so wear whatever you want, even if it's a $40 shirt (just don't go around bragging to everyone how much it cost).

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 am

Bildungsroman wrote:We get it, you're mad that some people have to make sacrifices and can't afford $40 dress shirts. Let's just move the Brooks Brothers adulation back to the regular fashion thread where it belongs and return this thread to whatever tedious nonsense it was originally about.

You are awfully concerned with forum administration for someone who is neither a forum administrator nor a moderator.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:We get it, you're mad that some people have to make sacrifices and can't afford $40 dress shirts. Let's just move the Brooks Brothers adulation back to the regular fashion thread where it belongs and return this thread to whatever tedious nonsense it was originally about.

You are awfully concerned with forum administration for someone who is neither a forum administrator nor a moderator.

Literally nobody here agrees with you. You're an insufferable mouth-breather.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 am

Fucking Christ. $40 may be a huge amount of money to some people, but that should stop about the time you go to graduate / professional school. It's not that much for a decent dress shirt, particularly in the context of what law school costs.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 am

LRGhost wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Literally nobody here agrees with you. You're an insufferable mouth-breather.

Wrong. I agree with IGF, and he is also neither insufferable nor a mouth-breather.

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 am

It's not even a matter of money -- if you have good taste and some patience, you can get plenty of nice stuff at Goodwill. Dat trickle down.

LOLOL proles with bad taste. Just don't wear black dress shirts and red silk ties like a band geek.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 am

Shmoopy wrote:It's not even a matter of money -- if you have good taste and some patience, you can get plenty of nice stuff at Goodwill. Dat trickle down.

LOLOL proles with bad taste. Just don't wear black dress shirts and red silk ties like a band geek.

At the first firm reception I went to, there was a guy wearing a brown suit, orange shirt, red tie with christmas trees, and a fedora.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 am

I plan on rocking a pocket watch and fedora when I have money. Maybe even a bowler if I am feeling particularly daring that day.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am

To give what I feel is a pretty fair assessment, yes for some people $40 is a lot for a shirt, whether they are law students or not.
However, when it comes to dressing nice for interviews and the like one should be able to find the money for such a quality of shirt. Like those previously have said you have already invested all this money for a job, what is $40 so you look halfway decent during an interview.
In sum, if you need to use loan money, money from family, or give handjobs after school to buy a nice button down for interviews, it seems like you should and this applies to most interviews not just for law.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 am

Dany wrote:Wrong. I agree with IGF, and he is also neither insufferable nor a mouth-breather.

You're too kind.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:To give what I feel is a pretty fair assessment, yes for some people $40 is a lot for a shirt, whether they are law students or not.
However, when it comes to dressing nice for interviews and the like one should be able to find the money for such a quality of shirt. Like those previously have said you have already invested all this money for a job, what is $40 so you look halfway decent during an interview.
In sum, if you need to use loan money, money from family, or give handjobs after school to buy a nice button down for interviews, it seems like you should and this applies to most interviews not just for law.

Of all the example you could give, why'd you pick hand jobs?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am

kalvano wrote:Fucking Christ. $40 may be a huge amount of money to some people, but that should stop about the time you go to graduate / professional school. It's not that much for a decent dress shirt, particularly in the context of what law school costs.

How does going to school mitigate something being expensive rather than exacerbate it? $40 is a lot to someone who has kids and can't work because he's a full-time student in a demanding program who's also trying to help raise his kids.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am

kalvano wrote:Fucking Christ. $40 may be a huge amount of money to some people, but that should stop about the time you go to graduate / professional school. It's not that much for a decent dress shirt, particularly in the context of what law school costs.

$40 is a lot more money to me now that I've graduated. ducy?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:09 am

grace123 wrote:
cinephile wrote: If you make a dollar a day in a third-world sweatshop, sure that's another thing, but no law student will have any difficulty outfitting themselves properly.

There are people, probably in your class, that need to give loan money to their parents, to help feed their families, or to go towards child care costs. Your statements are really ignorant of a significant subsection of law students. Not everybody can have the choice of a $40 shirt or $50 on a night of drinking.

Also, to answer your question OP, wear whatever you want. Some people wear sweats, some wear shirt and tie every day. The fashion-based reputation stuff is completely overblown - your classmates/teachers are going to judge you on the way you act in class, towards your peers outside of class, and your demeanor in general. The ones that judge you on what you wear are the ones whose opinions you shouldn't care about anyway.

I've seen every single person from my former section at bar review. Believe me, there is not a one who doesn't spend vast amounts of money on alcohol every weekend. Please stop your concern trolling and just come out with it and be honest --- you're cheap. You don't want to spend money on clothes and you'd rather spend it on other things. That's cool, just don't lie about it and make yourself out to be holier than thou. Lying about poverty is never cool, dude.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”