Proper Law School Attire?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dingbat

Re: Proper Law School Attire?

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:36 am

manofjustice wrote:This thread has made my head explode.

Of all the derp you've spouted, this makes your head explode?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 am

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:42 am

toothbrush wrote:fwiw I read in a past thread that it's a good idea to have 1-2 solid suits (guys) in charcoal / black (?) when heading into law school. That remains troof ?

Not black, and you really only need one suit for 1L for the random events where ya need one and also interviews.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:01 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
toothbrush wrote:fwiw I read in a past thread that it's a good idea to have 1-2 solid suits (guys) in charcoal / black (?) when heading into law school. That remains troof ?

Not black, and you really only need one suit for 1L for the random events where ya need one and also interviews.

Yes just get one charcoal suit. But as far as class, wear whatever you want.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 am

ImNoScar wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Yes just get one charcoal suit. But as far as class, wear whatever you want.

Right I knew it was for events and interviews exclusively. Thanks for the clarification.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:06 am

InGoodFaith wrote:

No black unless you want to look like a n00b.

You won't need more than one until OCI. Assuming you have a real OCI.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:10 am

tfer2222 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

No black unless you want to look like a n00b.

You won't need more than one until OCI. Assuming you have a real OCI.

This isn't the right thread, but since it's been brought up a few times I'll ask...

What's with suit colors? As in, which color of Black, Grey, Navy, or Charcoal are used for which circumstance?

I was under the impression that black with a light blue dress shirt is a safe pick? Or is that funeral director?

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:17 am

No no no.

For interviews, you want to be as conservative as possible. Charcoal or navy suit and a white dress shirt with a conservative tie choice (pindots are always a solid choice). The first post of this thread should be required reading for all incoming male 1Ls.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 am

For the ladies I suggest this:

--ImageRemoved--

For the gentlemen I suggest this fine attire:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:22 am

Dany wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cinephile wrote:
jrf12886 wrote: I don't think its any different than undergrad.

It's the exact opposite of undergrad. In undergrad, you'd show up in sweats and unwashed hair. In law school, you make an effort to dress smart casual.

I don't think anyone in my entire law school state dresses smart casual.

Really? What do they wear?

Casual casual - jean and t-shirt (or fleece). It's a pretty laid back place.

(also, I'm exaggerating just a little.)
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 am

No. First off, don't buy a black suit, especially not when you have a charcoal suit. Second of all, You don't need more than 1 suit until your first summer when you are working, if even then. During the semester, the only time you wear a suit is when you have interviews or receptions.

As for the way people dress, a lot of people wear polo's or button down's on a daily basis. Significantly less wear hoodies or t-shirts. But really, It doesn't matter.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think anyone in my entire law school state dresses smart casual.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 am

InGoodFaith wrote:No no no.

For interviews, you want to be as conservative as possible. Charcoal or navy suit and a white dress shirt with a conservative tie choice (pindots are always a solid choice). The first post of this thread should be required reading for all incoming male 1Ls.

Awesome first post of that thread. Just read it through. Thank you. Consider me enlightened.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am

InGoodFaith wrote:No no no.

Exactly. For interviews you want to look sharp without sticking out. Also black suits are for weddings and funerals.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 am

Glad I could be of assistance.

Hspeaksfriend

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Any girls want to chime in here? Just curious what we need to wear for those "random events" during 1L. Can we get away with just a nice conservative dress/skirt or do we actually need one of those business type outfits?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Any girls want to chime in here? Just curious what we need to wear for those "random events" during 1L. Can we get away with just a nice conservative dress/skirt or do we actually need one of those business type outfits?

There's a girl -equivalent thread called "Fashion" that may be more active and filled with girls who know more about this..

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:29 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:Any girls want to chime in here? Just curious what we need to wear for those "random events" during 1L. Can we get away with just a nice conservative dress/skirt or do we actually need one of those business type outfits?

There's a girl -equivalent thread called "Fashion" that may be more active and filled with girls who know more about this..

Ditto - also, generally you will only need a suit if the event is described as "business attire" or "business formal." (That is, your school will often let you know if business clothes are needed.) (I mean, obviously this applies to both men and women...)

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Yes, most people wear "smart casual" (polos/button downs), but I would not feel the slightest bit uncomfortable wearing jeans and a t-shirt to class. I see people wearing "X Law School" T-shirts all over campus every day. This is common sense. Then again, I never wore sweats to class in college either. Everyone has their own standards they hold themselves to. If you are asking yourself "is this ok to wear?", then it probably isn't.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Depends on the event, but if you don't own a suit you should buy one before or at the beginning of 1L.

Eve0000

Postby Eve0000 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Girl chiming in! For "random events", they will usually let you know the dress code. Most of the time, if it's events having to do with some organization that you join then the dress code is business casual. If it's more of a mixer type of event or something held outside the school then it's usually business professional. I suggest having a skirt suit for events that require business professional (as well as for interviews) and some "work" dresses/pants to wear for business casual events.
As far as every day clothes go, I don't really see anyone at my school wearing sweatpants. Once in a while I spot one or two people, usually on a friday when everyone is sick and tired already. Otherwise, everyone wears jeans and tshirts/sweaters/etc. No one comes dressed up in any way though. This goes for both girls and guys.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 pm

OR

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Charcoal and navy. Black looks like a waiter.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:50 pm

dingbat wrote:
manofjustice wrote:This thread has made my head explode.

Of all the derp you've spouted, this makes your head explode?

I deliver you gold and you know it.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:51 pm

dr123 wrote:What in the fuck is "smart casual"?

It's what smart people wear when they are being casual.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”