UC Irvine (UCI) 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zot1

UC Irvine (UCI) 1L Taking Questions

Postby zot1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 am

So ask away!

eav1277

Re: UC Irvine (UCI) 1L Taking Questions

Postby eav1277 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:26 am

Hey Zot1. What other offers did you have besides UCI? If you have a moment send me a PM, I am seriously considering UCI (got a great scholly). I'd love to get your input.

zot1

Re: UC Irvine (UCI) 1L Taking Questions

Postby zot1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 am

eav1277 wrote:Hey Zot1. What other offers did you have besides UCI? If you have a moment send me a PM, I am seriously considering UCI (got a great scholly). I'd love to get your input.

You've been PMed!

Here are selected (EDITED) parts of my response to eav1277 that may be helpful to others:

Hi there!

Since I started last August, my experience (at UCI) has been excellent. I've accrued an incredible wealth of experience and legal skills so far. I have done pro bono work for PI places both in L.A. and in O.C. During these experiences, I've interacted with real clients (with attorney supervision) and dealt with legal issues.

When I was considering UCI, it was super important for me that the smaller class size would allow me the opportunity to participate in clubs, being an research assistant, and getting to know my classmates, etc. Therefore, I really liked UCI from the beginning because of the class size.

I'm currently working on a pro bono case. I don't want to give too many details but students do this with the help of local law firms (or other organizations). One of the attorneys at a local firm supervises my group (2 students). The students do all the work and the attorney just makes sure you don't make mistakes. This is also an awesome experience and networking opportunity. Though to be fair, I have zero interest in working at a law firm, even though like almost everybody, I will graduate with some debt.

I've also felt pretty good about the summer internship search. Many people talk crap about how we don't have an alumni network and whatnot, but I REALLY meant it when I said that our abilities speak for themselves. The love for UCI is really there. I've applied to a handful of places so far. Most people apply to more (or less?) or wait until later to do so. I stopped applying because I got an offer already (and I took it!). If you want details, PM me. But also, before I got that offer, I interviewed at other places. Some were government jobs, and some were PI. And for what it's worth, most of them were in Orange County and one was in Los Angeles (this is the only place in L.A. I applied to so far). At the O.C. interviews, the employers said amazing things about the previous UCI interns they had. They were genuinely impressed with the quality of UCI students. At the L.A. job, no UCI intern had worked there before, but the interviewer didn't even ask anything about my school or why I chose it.

From what I know, some people already have jobs in O.C., L.A. and Pennsylvania.

I am such a strong believer that you should visit the schools you're considering. Would you buy a car without test driving it first?

I hope this helps and please shoot more questions my way. I will NEVER tell you to attend UCI or to NOT attend a school other than UCI.

==========

The following is something I didn't mention in my response but I should have!

UCI also has its little issues here and there. Like trying to figure out schedules and activities and other stuff like that. But the administration is always happy to listen and make changes. As some of you may already know, we are privileged to be able to sit with Dean Chemerinsky and voice our concerns. However, people take these difficulties for something extraordinary. I went to a well-established school for undergrad and this school too had issues! I guess what I'm trying to say is that UCI is not flawless- but personally, it's been a fantastic experience so far.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”