Can someone give me an example of "issue spotting"

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dingbat

Re: Can someone give me an example of "issue spotting"

Postby dingbat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:18 pm

scifiguy wrote:
dingbat wrote:

It also doesn't matter if there was or wasn't an agreement about scifiguy wearing the watch, the fact is that he damaged the watch.
Are you 0L?

Junior (undergrad)...but still neat.

What if friend argues that watch had sentimental value as passed down from his great grandma? The damage to it was more than just physical? He's emotionally distraught and also upset scifiguy would just wear it w/o asking.

Don't create hypothetical questions....

Br3v

Re: Can someone give me an example of "issue spotting"

Postby Br3v » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm

dingbat wrote:I am planning my wedding to start at 12. I contract with the florist to deliver flowers at 9 am, for $2000. We later agree that the color scheme will be orange and yellow.
The baker is contracted to bake a carrot cake. The venue will be the glass conservatory of the dingbat hotel, for $20,000. We hire a DJ for $2500

A week before the wedding, the conservatory burns down, so they stick us in the master ballroom instead (normally costs $18,000). The florist arrives at 10:30, delivering pink and red flowers, which coincidentally match the interior of the ballroom. The baker delivers a chocolate cake with bright green frosting, which we don't notice until it's served. We eat it anyway because it's better to have some cake than no cake. The DJ never showed up, but a member of the wedding party is in a decently succesful band, calls his babdmates and they come over to play. They normally charge $10,000 per appearance

State all the causes of action I have and the amounts I should recover from each

Thanks for this dingbat, drove the point home.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”