Developing People Skills Part of Law School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jwinaz

Developing People Skills Part of Law School?

Postby jwinaz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I know many aspects of law require good people skills.

Just kind of wondering if law school at all teaches that - even if indirectly - to students?

I've always admired people who seem to have a natural talent or knack at people skills. It's amazing to watch it in motion.

eerie_erie

Re: Developing People Skills Part of Law School?

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 pm

I think it's tricky. If you're wondering how to improve people skills, the obvious answer is to do more social activities. But what kinds of social activities? I think clinics help you deal with clients better than parties would; working in a student group that puts on a lot of events would teach you teamwork/compromise more than just speaking in class would; etc. However, I don't think there is one surefire way to "learn" people skills. Practice makes progress.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Sorry don't know if this one can be taught in law school. I think its kind of natural, or you've been developing these skills since you were little. Might be too late.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:48 pm

one of the best ways to do this is to be observant. when you're in a conversation with someone, you observe the kind of person they are and what would be the best approach to getting to know them/making them interested in you. if you can read people, you can win them over. just try to practice it. approach someone today and start a friendly conversation. try it in the grocery line!

jwinaz

Postby jwinaz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 am

warandpeace wrote:one of the best ways to do this is to be observant. when you're in a conversation with someone, you observe the kind of person they are and what would be the best approach to getting to know them/making them interested in you. if you can read people, you can win them over. just try to practice it. approach someone today and start a friendly conversation. try it in the grocery line!

I don't think I'm that good at that unless the person shows some signs of common interests.

I remember a grocery store cashier trying to small talk with me and it felt very "fake" in that we were overly polite and making some seemingly forced and awkward statements (and what seemed like polite laughter at each other's statements when they really weren't that funny lol). Not that that's a great time or place to strike up a long convo though. It's kind of weird since they're working.

Some people I know are great at it though. I really should observe or try to imagine how they'd approach it.

I think one opportunity is when you see a worker at a store you frequent a lot, who you know recognizes you and you recognize them from so many visits. But neither side says anything. lol.

I find I do fine when at a party or social situation where you're expected or already in a mood and environment to chat. Or maybe once in a while when someone has a same passion or hobby that I do....but just those cold introductions and conversations are hard for me. I literally don't know what to say. My brain must not work that way. :oops:

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 am

I find that drinking helps my social skills. Learned that in law school.

Eliyahu7

Postby Eliyahu7 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:35 am

Having a sense of humor about yourself will do wonders.

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:16 am

Making random comments/ small talk with strangers can be a good way to build people skills.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Work in retail or a service industry job. Just do it for a few weeks and you'll come out better adjusted.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 pm

jwinaz wrote:I know many aspects of law require good people skills.

Just kind of wondering if law school at all teaches that - even if indirectly - to students?

I've always admired people who seem to have a natural talent or knack at people skills. It's amazing to watch it in motion.

You will encounter many an asp-ridden bunghole in law school. Do the Costanza opposite.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”