Do you even get vacation time in a typical Biglaw job?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
majnana

Do you even get vacation time in a typical Biglaw job?

Postby majnana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

I've read several first-person accounts on TLS of the attrocious hours at Biglaw, working while very sick, and the like. I believe I could handle attrocious hours (at least for a few years) but I'm not sure I could go into Biglaw if you get absolutely no vacation time for either the first few years or, well... forever. There's got to be at least a little time to recharge the batteries, right? Take the kids to Disneyland for a week? Something??

Drake014

Re: Do you even get vacation time in a typical Biglaw job?

Postby Drake014 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 pm

majnana wrote:I've read several first-person accounts on TLS of the attrocious hours at Biglaw, working while very sick, and the like. I believe I could handle attrocious hours (at least for a few years) but I'm not sure I could go into Biglaw if you get absolutely no vacation time for either the first few years or, well... forever. There's got to be at least a little time to recharge the batteries, right? Take the kids to Disneyland for a week? Something??

Don't worry, you have very little chance of getting a Biglaw job.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 pm

majnana wrote:I've read several first-person accounts on TLS of the attrocious hours at Biglaw, working while very sick, and the like. I believe I could handle attrocious hours (at least for a few years) but I'm not sure I could go into Biglaw if you get absolutely no vacation time for either the first few years or, well... forever. There's got to be at least a little time to recharge the batteries, right? Take the kids to Disneyland for a week? Something??

Most firms allow you somewhere around 4 works vacation I think, although the majority of people do not take all 4 weeks due to firm pressure.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm

I doubt there are any (full-time) jobs that have absolutely no vacation time.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm

dr123 wrote:I doubt there are any (full-time) jobs that have absolutely no vacation time.

You can probably take up to your 4 weeks of vacation, but you're never really on vacation. Three hours or so on one or another day, or one trip cut short and put off for another time...par for the course. From what I have heard from many sources...

Key to survival is genuine flexibility. Your schedule is not your own.

This is why BigLaw strains relationships...if your schedule is not your own, your SOs schedule is not her own. She hates that.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm

manofjustice wrote:
dr123 wrote:I doubt there are any (full-time) jobs that have absolutely no vacation time.

You can probably take up to your 4 weeks of vacation, but you're never really on vacation. Three hours or so on one or another day, or one trip cut short and put off for another time...par for the course. From what I have heard from many sources...

Key to survival is genuine flexibility. Your schedule is not your own.

This is why BigLaw strains relationships...if your schedule is not your own, your SOs schedule is not her own. She hates that.

or he.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”