Mindless job.. Preparing my brain for law school/thinking? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: Mindless job.. Preparing my brain for law school/thinking?

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 am

I blame lawl school for making me loquacious. :(

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 am

Scotusnerd wrote:I blame lawl school for making me loquacious. :(
That's not the issue. Getting to Maybe has a single useful idea (lol @ shitton) and lol at the idea of running into future employers in the hallways or your classmates giving a shit about you around finals time.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:46 pm

bk187 wrote: That's not the issue. Getting to Maybe has a single useful idea (lol @ shitton) and lol at the idea of running into future employers in the hallways or your classmates giving a shit about you around finals time.
I found many useful ideas in it. One large idea and several smaller ones under the larger umbrella. If you only found one, that's fine. But there are more there.

As to the idea of running into future employers, well, I think your school is different than mine. We have two courses taught by federal judges (one circuit and one CoA). We have professors who are partners at biglaw firms. We have visiting professors who run their own business and teach on the side. We have attorneys that come in for CLE on a regular business. We have attorneys who come and use our legal library. We have governmental employers in on a regular basis doing pro bono stuff with the law school.

Also, here in the South (ymmv), looking good is important. Being well put-together and respectful is a big thing out here.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Seriously, lol at anyone caring what you're wearing to campus and that affecting your job search. Do you have a business-casual tinfoil hat?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 pm

bk187 wrote:
That's not the issue. Getting to Maybe has a single useful idea (lol @ shitton) and lol at the idea of running into future employers in the hallways or your classmates giving a shit about you around finals time.

...so what is it? You sound like reading it is a waste of time, so help a brother out...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:48 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
bk187 wrote:

...so what is it? You sound like reading it is a waste of time, so help a brother out...
Follow the forks.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 pm

InGoodFaith wrote: Follow the forks.
What I find hilarious about this topic is that the book discusses exactly this scenario in an example in chapter 1. "Following the forks" does not explain how, or why, or even what to fork. "Following the forks" does not get you an A on the exam.

How many of you jokers have seriously read this book? And I don't mean "skimmed it slightly over one night". I mean actually read the damn thing.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote: Follow the forks.
What I find hilarious about this topic is that the book discusses exactly this scenario in an example in chapter 1. "Following the forks" does not explain how, or why, or even what to fork. "Following the forks" does not get you an A on the exam.

How many of you jokers have seriously read this book? And I don't mean "skimmed it slightly over one night". I mean actually read the damn thing.
I read the whole thing once in September, threw it in my closet, and never looked at it again. It's a useful read, to be clear, but outlining the book or obsessing over the details is overkill.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm

I gotta disagree. I learned a lot from reading the book. I read it several times, and it plus TLS helped me outline my plan of attack for the semester. I got top 20%, so I suppose it worked. Aiming higher this semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:04 am

Scotusnerd wrote:I gotta disagree. I learned a lot from reading the book. I read it several times, and it plus TLS helped me outline my plan of attack for the semester. I got top 20%, so I suppose it worked. Aiming higher this semester.
Like many things in law school, YMMV. I also am ranked high in my class.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Like many things in law school, YMMV.
yep. didn't even glance at GTM and i was fine.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:10 am

Fair enough. But OP, don't dismiss it out of hand just because a few people didn't learn from it. Try for yourself. :)

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:03 am

Scotusnerd wrote:just because a few people didn't learn from it.
Why are you distorting what I said? Kinda weird bro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am

I will be a 1L this fall after taking over a year off since graduating in 2012. Before Christmas I made it a goal to try to read two books a month. I shunned reading the classics in high school and decided to start with those. So far I've made it through Catch-22, The Sun Also Rises, The Great Gatsby, my new personal favorite Atlas Shrugged, and just started The Virtue of Selfishness. I plan on keeping that up until school starts and ending with Getting to Maybe.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 am

Scotusnerd wrote:Fair enough. But OP, don't dismiss it out of hand just because a few people didn't learn from it. Try for yourself. :)
Yeah, people learn/prepare differently. If it doesn't work for you, then that's that. If it does, great!

monicap28

New

Post by monicap28 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 pm

I mean, I'd honestly recommend letting your brain get as much rest as possible before you start, but that's just me. It's actually funny how quickly you fall back into study habits. Enjoy your time off before your 1L year begins!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”