Internship with D.A 's office w/ disciplinary record

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cinephile

Re: Internship with D.A 's office w/ disciplinary record

Postby cinephile » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:10 pm

You're not a good candidate to work for the DA's office. They have to prosecute rape, but you don't seem to understand rape when you see it.

contrapositive1

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm

?
Last edited by contrapositive1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Wormfather wrote:
contrapositive1 wrote:
I was never "arrested." I was "detained" and "questioned." There is a difference. The Director of Public Safety at my university said that he is even willing to write a letter of recommendation (about my character).

This, so much this. Get that, keep a copy of it for all time. It is the best counter to what people are naturally going to think.

If this is a letter that somehow explains or mitigates the circumstances surrounding the disciplinary incident, then by all means get that letter and keep it only for instances when you have to explain it. Otherwise, a Public Safety officer is not an appropriate character reference or letter of recommendation writer. For that you need a professor or previous employer who knows your academic or professional characteristics and will say good things about you rather than explaining away negative things.

contrapositive1

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:28 pm

you dont make sense
Last edited by contrapositive1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:40 pm

cinephile wrote:You're not a good candidate to work for the DA's office. They have to prosecute rape, but you don't seem to understand rape when you see it.

I think OP understands what it is, but is unwilling to admit that what he (or she) did is rape, as evidence by the "I broke school rules, not the law!" attitude. The inability to understand why applying for this and any future positions with a DA's office with a record like that is an epically bad idea is what is astounding.

Borhas has offered you sage advice, OP, and your UG has given you a second chance a decent future. Do the smart thing and drop this.
Last edited by kapachino on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Why are you asking for legal advice? You do not need to ask these questions on this forum. It is not appropriate.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”