Santa Clara 3L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
uwb09

Santa Clara 3L taking questions

Postby uwb09 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:14 pm

don't know if much people entering the law school game are considering this place, but if so I will be glad to answer questions, as I know the administration is pretty bad about responding to admitted students, and even then i'm sure they sugar coat.

Our horrible dean got forced out resigned, so some fresh leadership will hopefully come in next year to shake things up and turn things around.

AK122

Re: Santa Clara 3L taking questions

Postby AK122 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Is Santa Clara a good place to prepare for international law/immigration? And what do you think is the perception of the law school by most employers in the area?

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks for taking the time. Great looking campus

The employment statistics aren't too rosy. How have you and your fellow 3L's fared? Is it difficult to get SA's when you are competing with Berkeley, Davis, LA, SC, and Hastings (in addition to any T-14 kids wishing to enter the CA market)?

Thanks again.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Also, did you know anyone who lost their scholarship? Does section stacking exist at SCU?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:41 am

AK122 wrote:Is Santa Clara a good place to prepare for international law/immigration? And what do you think is the perception of the law school by most employers in the area?

I still am unsure as to what "international law" is, so I can't really answer that for you, but if you are looking for immigration, this school can prepare you for an immigration career very well. The Katherine and George Alexander Law Clinic has an immigration component where you help immigrants file all types of visas and what not. The school also has several really good immigration law faculty, one of which runs a summer abroad program in Sydney, Australia where you study refugee/asylum law for 3 weeks, and then do an internship in an international refugee center in Australia for 5 weeks. This same professor also runs an advanced immigration clinic where during the semester you represent an immigrant on their appeal to the BIA, file a brief on their behalf, and actually get to argue in front of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals for them when their case comes up.

I'm a criminal law guy, but the immigration opportunities at SCU has actually got me pretty interested in that area of the law, and I know several people who have taken advantage of these opportunities and are getting lots of interviews with immigration offices. One of my friends actually just received a fellowship to spend 6 months in Geneva working on immigration/asylum issues.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 am

eav1277 wrote:Thanks for taking the time. Great looking campus

The employment statistics aren't too rosy. How have you and your fellow 3L's fared? Is it difficult to get SA's when you are competing with Berkeley, Davis, LA, SC, and Hastings (in addition to any T-14 kids wishing to enter the CA market)?

Thanks again.

Yeah, I can't lie, the campus/bay area visual appeal was probably one of the main reasons I chose to come here haha.

It's definitely an uphill battle, and if you are looking to work in SF you are at even more of a disadvantage. With that said, the school places decently with silicon valley branches of big law firms. I have friends who have offers from Cooley, MoFo, Fenwick, Ropes & Gray, etc. I also know a lot of people who came in with engineering/science degrees and got nice offers to work at IP boutiques all over California, even offers from Portland/Seattle firms.

The school, surprisingly even to me, has a pretty good reputation within California, and especially in the South Bay. If you can get top 5-10% you probably have to really have a horrible personality to miss out on a big law job. If you get top 25% and put in work you should be fine. If you are outside of that it's obviously going to take more work, but there are lots of smaller firms/government/PI places that think highly of SCU grads that it;s not impossible. Just don't expect the Law Career Services office to do you any favors, and definitely make sure to do Moot Court and/or Journal to maximize your hiring potential. Also the people who are getting jobs the easiest have been interning since first semester 2L year, if not earlier, so you hustle is definitely the name of the game.

Also I've found that certain professors here care deeply about helping us students get jobs, so definitely get to know those ones (if you end up coming here let me know and I'll point you in the right direction) and let them know what you want, and they will do what they can to put you in the right position.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am

eav1277 wrote:Also, did you know anyone who lost their scholarship? Does section stacking exist at SCU?

Sadly I lost my scholarship. Top 25% was the line, I was right at top 30%, and fly away my scholarship did. Thankfully I had made a good enough impression on some of my professors (plus my faily has ZERO money) that I received a law-faculty scholarship that made up for part of it, but it sure would be nice to still have that initial one :(

I've pondered the section stacking question myself. I know SCU gives out very very few full rides (maybe 5 at the most) and I know at least 2-3 were in my first year section, so it's possible. But our section also had some of the laziest/not-so-bright students as well. Also as 2L and 3L years go by, i'm finding the top of the top students so far are coming out of other sections, so in the end who the heck knows.

I can tell you for sure that this school is incredibly stubborn with it's money. I read some thing where only like 8.9% of the students receive half-tuition or more in scholarships, and we have no real LRAP program, which is absolutely ridiculous considering the amount of money this school pulls in. And even more ridiculous considering this school preaches how much it prides itself in being about social justice and public interest. I've heard rumors they are hoarding for the purposes of new law school buildings in the next 5-10 years, but it sure makes for a large loan statement for me.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed responses. I really appreciate it. I actually am goin to do Tfa for the next two years but am strongly leaning towards returning to law school after (at least right now). I am pretty familiar with Santa Clara (due to proximity and fam). While it'd be hard for me to go without a large scholly. I'd def consider it if I received a substantial scholly with reasonable stips. Good luck!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”