W&L students/grads? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kuttlefish

Bronze

W&L students/grads?

Post by kuttlefish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:03 pm

So far, W&L is the best school I've been accepted to and best offer (free more or less).

I'll be 30+ when I start, but no spouse/babies/commitments. I couldn't give two shits about greek life. I'm moderate to liberal politically (I don't mind a healthy debate, but I don't like wasting my time arguing with tea-tards about the civil war). Small town life doesn't bother me, as long as it isn't a dry county or dominated by Children of the Corn religious-cult weirdos...

So, will I fit in or will I want to kill myself after one month? I'll be going to an upcoming ASW, but I want to know what it's like on a regular weekend.

presh

Platinum

Re: W&L students/grads?

Post by presh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm

kuttlefish wrote:So far, W&L is the best school I've been accepted to and best offer (free more or less).

I'll be 30+ when I start, but no spouse/babies/commitments. I couldn't give two shits about greek life. I'm moderate to liberal politically (I don't mind a healthy debate, but I don't like wasting my time arguing with tea-tards about the civil war). Small town life doesn't bother me, as long as it isn't a dry county or dominated by Children of the Corn religious-cult weirdos...

So, will I fit in or will I want to kill myself after one month? I'll be going to an upcoming ASW, but I want to know what it's like on a regular weekend.
Don't worry about it, you should be fine. Lexington did not seem overly religious to me, and it is definitely not dry!

While your class will be primarily 20-somethings, there is usually a strong older contingent as well. Greek life is the undergrad campus, and you can easily go all three years barely noticing that its there (except when you see the sorority girls walking to class over the bridge). My guess is that there is a higher percentage of conservatives at W&L, but it's a pretty good mix with moderates and liberals and isn't an obvious majority, if they're even a majority at all.

There are going to be quite a few people that treat law school like a second undergrad experience, complete with getting wasted every weekend, but if you keep your eyes and ears open, you will find a group of like-minded people to hang out with. Basically, despite the small size, W&L has enough diversity in its class that you don't have to worry about not finding friends that have similar interests. As long as you are cool with living in a small town, Lexington shouldn't be an issue. Fair warning though: you are not going to have much of a dating pool.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 am

no one will care about your age

kuttlefish

Bronze

Post by kuttlefish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 pm

anjmissy wrote:no one will care about your age
Honestly, I was more worried about me caring about my age. When I went to visit LSU, there was definitely a lot of this:
presh wrote: quite a few people that treat law school like a second undergrad experience, complete with getting wasted every weekend,
and I looked around, like WTF am I doing here. Coming from New Orleans, I certainly don't have anything against getting wasted every weekend, but at a certain point you gotta up your game in the liquor department. Cocktails not keg-stands.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 pm

hopefully I can find people who like board games and wine.. haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”