Baylor/UH/SMU

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lillindz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby lillindz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I would like to hear about any current students or recent grads at Baylor/Houston/SMU. There were posts from 2010/2011, but I would love to hear more recent information about experiences, living in the area, internship/career service office help, professors, fellow students, etc!

boogienights110
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby boogienights110 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm a 1L at SMU. Campus and people are pretty chill, but its super conservative bible-belt so be ready for that. Don't got to Baylor. I hear terrible things. I don't know much about UH, but Houston smells like petrol and looks like a filthy metropolis compared to Dallas, which itself is pretty dirty, so nope don't do that either. If you're thinking Texas, then UT and SMU are pretty much it, actually.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

There are a lot of posts about Baylor and SMU and a few about UofH within the past 3 months. A quick search should be most revealing.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby mg7 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm

boogienights110 wrote:I'm a 1L at SMU. Campus and people are pretty chill, but its super conservative bible-belt so be ready for that. Don't got to Baylor. I hear terrible things. I don't know much about UH, but Houston smells like petrol and looks like a filthy metropolis compared to Dallas, which itself is pretty dirty, so nope don't do that either. If you're thinking Texas, then UT and SMU are pretty much it, actually.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the bolded? (Not trying to start a fight lol just genuinely curious what you mean)

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:40 pm

boogienights110 wrote:I'm a 1L at SMU. Campus and people are pretty chill, but its super conservative bible-belt so be ready for that. Don't got to Baylor. I hear terrible things. I don't know much about UH, but Houston smells like petrol and looks like a filthy metropolis compared to Dallas, which itself is pretty dirty, so nope don't do that either. If you're thinking Texas, then UT and SMU are pretty much it, actually.



This guy knows very little about Houston. Sounds like he's referring to Pasadena which is right outside of Houston. But do not take the posters comments about Houston as accurate because he/she is very wrong.

I live in Houston and have lived here my entire life except for undergrad and law school.

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 pm

U of H is every bit as good as SMU in Texas. Don't listen to that guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about. UT, U of H, and SMU are all law schools worth attending in Texas. The Houston legal market is a tad bit bigger than the Dallas legal market. Therefore, I wouldn't shun it based on suspect advice. Both legal markets are severely underestimated nationally.

I don't know any specifics about what the University of Houston Law Center is like as far as attending goes. I went to another school. I do know that down here in Houston, U of H has more prestige than SMU. It's not that anyone here thinks U of H is better than SMU, it's just that this is Houston, but both schools have comparable admission standards.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 pm

mg7 wrote:
boogienights110 wrote:I'm a 1L at SMU. Campus and people are pretty chill, but its super conservative bible-belt so be ready for that. Don't got to Baylor. I hear terrible things. I don't know much about UH, but Houston smells like petrol and looks like a filthy metropolis compared to Dallas, which itself is pretty dirty, so nope don't do that either. If you're thinking Texas, then UT and SMU are pretty much it, actually.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the bolded? (Not trying to start a fight lol just genuinely curious what you mean)


I've not experienced that at SMU at all. It's not exactly Berkley, but it's not screamingly Bible Belty either.

And Houston sucks.

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 pm

There are parts of Houston that are dirty. And there are parts of Houston that are clean. Houston is a HUGE city area wise. We may be the largest in the US. As such, it is very diverse, both ethnically and aesthetically.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:U of H is every bit as good as SMU in Texas. Don't listen to that guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about. UT, U of H, and SMU are all law schools worth attending in Texas. The Houston legal market is a tad bit bigger than the Dallas legal market. Therefore, I wouldn't shun it based on suspect advice. Both legal markets are severely underestimated nationally.

I don't know any specifics about what the University of Houston Law Center is like as far as attending goes. I went to another school. I do know that down here in Houston, U of H has more prestige than SMU. It's not that anyone here thinks U of H is better than SMU, it's just that this is Houston, but both schools have comparable admission standards.


If you want to work in Houston, go to UofH. If you want Dallas, go to SMU. If you can, go to UT over either of those two. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

Houston has a bit more going on in things like oil and gas, energy, medical. Dallas has more in Biglaw options, transactional and (this is just a guess, but Dallas has more companies here) corporate stuff. More IP work too, with EDTX right next door, and NDTX having a big patent docket too.

Don't go to UofH if you want Dallas, and don't go to SMU if you want Houston.
Last edited by kalvano on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:There are parts of Houston that are dirty. And there are parts of Houston that are clean. Houston is a HUGE city area wise. We may be the largest in the US. As such, it is very diverse, both ethnically and aesthetically.


Houston is a dirty, filthy place full of hooligans and charlatans, trollops and ne'er do-wells.

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm

To the OP, obviously, whether you think Houston or Dallas is better is subjective. Personally, I'd never live in Dallas. I'd live in San Antonio before I'd live in Dallas. But that is just me.
Last edited by utlaw2007 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
utlaw2007 wrote:There are parts of Houston that are dirty. And there are parts of Houston that are clean. Houston is a HUGE city area wise. We may be the largest in the US. As such, it is very diverse, both ethnically and aesthetically.


Houston is a dirty, filthy place full of hooligans and charlatans, trollops and ne'er do-wells.


This was a pretty funny post!

But the above poster is right. If you want Dallas, go to SMU. If you want Houston, go to U of H. If you go to Texas, you have access to any place in the state.

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Baylor/UH/SMU

Postby Devlin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:25 am

kalvano wrote:
utlaw2007 wrote:There are parts of Houston that are dirty. And there are parts of Houston that are clean. Houston is a HUGE city area wise. We may be the largest in the US. As such, it is very diverse, both ethnically and aesthetically.


Houston is a dirty, filthy place full of hooligans and charlatans, trollops and ne'er do-wells.


This is why Houston is better than Dallas.


Anyway, I'm at 1L at UH and I'm happy to answer any questions.

I will say this- as far as campus goes UHLC is kind of outdated but after the first week of school you will not care about that. And as an above poster stated Houston is huge and diverse, so there are different areas to explore/stay away from.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests