Law School "Gunner": Etiquette Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Law School "Gunner": Etiquette

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Just shut up and ask any question in office hours or over email. No one else likely cares at all, and all you're doing is dragging out the class.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:31 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:Immediate giveaway of a gunner when answering a questions: "well, it seems to me..."
in our section its "couldnt it be argued..." or "just to piggy back off that idea..."

My ultimate pet peeve though is when the prof is brutally cold calling people on a particular point and this one fuckstick always raises his hand and says "I think what my colleagues are actually trying to say is..."

There are almost no benefits to raising your hand in class. If you want to talk to the prof go to office hours.

anori

New

Post by anori » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Do NOT consistently make 3-4 comments per class. I don't care how brilliant you are. If you were really all that you'd be at HYS. There is one chick like this in my contracts class. The professor is constantly indulging her, too. Sometimes his lectures turn into a monologue addressed only to this particular student. I'm really starting to wonder if they're sleeping together.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 pm

The best is when it's a rolling briefcase:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I actually did have a rolling backpack last year and somewhat hated it.

It was cheapo at my school bookstore ($45 bucks) compared to otherss and I got it. That plastic frame on teh back of those are really stiff and kind of sucks when rubbing up against you and can weigh your stuff down. If felt like I was carry along an exttra book or two always.

Gunner discussion aside, the roller backpacks with big frame to support it can be a pain to wear. Just a friendly warning.

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm

scifiguy wrote:I actually did have a rolling backpack last year and somewhat hated it.

It was cheapo at my school bookstore ($45 bucks) compared to otherss and I got it. That plastic frame on teh back of those are really stiff and kind of sucks when rubbing up against you and can weigh your stuff down. If felt like I was carry along an exttra book or two always.

Gunner discussion aside, the roller backpacks with big frame to support it can be a pain to wear. Just a friendly warning.

Then again, maybe we're supposed to roll them??? :shock: I think I rolled mine a total of 2x during its entire usage. a.) Didn't seem very fashionable to roll mine; and b.) never had that many books or stuff to really have to roll it. But still....be warned about how annoying the frames can be when wearign them!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:15 pm

kalvano wrote:Just shut up and ask any question in office hours or over email. No one else likely cares at all, and all you're doing is dragging out the class.

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:53 pm

ph14 wrote:
scifiguy wrote:
ph14 wrote: Just don't be annoying and you will be fine. E.g., don't argue with the professor, say things like "when I studied this in undergrad/grad school/study abroad," etc.
But what if we want clarification? Or want to delve deeper into something or possibly think that professor really is wrong? lol.

I would think that intellectual freedom in the academy would promote this sort of open debate.

But, I can see how someone migth be annoying in their approach.
If you can't figure this out on your own then you are probably beyond helping.
I mean, basically. I'm not in law school, but only common sense tells one that it is only so simple. Don't be annoying lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

atcushman wrote:
DamnLSAT wrote: My ultimate pet peeve though is when the prof is brutally cold calling people on a particular point and this one fuckstick always raises his hand and says "I think what my colleagues are actually trying to say is..."
Oh, my gosh. Someone really did this? What a douchebag.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 pm

LaBarrister wrote:
atcushman wrote:
DamnLSAT wrote: My ultimate pet peeve though is when the prof is brutally cold calling people on a particular point and this one fuckstick always raises his hand and says "I think what my colleagues are actually trying to say is..."
Oh, my gosh. Someone really did this? What a douchebag.
he does it on a regular basis most of our profs stopped calling on him but we started a new 2nd semster class but the prof is wising up...he was either a theatre or philosophy major I prob should have lead with that since it explains a lot.

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 am

LaBarrister wrote:
ph14 wrote:
scifiguy wrote:
ph14 wrote: Just don't be annoying and you will be fine. E.g., don't argue with the professor, say things like "when I studied this in undergrad/grad school/study abroad," etc.
But what if we want clarification? Or want to delve deeper into something or possibly think that professor really is wrong? lol.

I would think that intellectual freedom in the academy would promote this sort of open debate.

But, I can see how someone migth be annoying in their approach.
If you can't figure this out on your own then you are probably beyond helping.
I mean, basically. I'm not in law school, but only common sense tells one that it is only so simple. Don't be annoying lol
I'm definitely annoying online sometimes I think. But realizing this makes me want to change now!

Thanks everyone!

[ETA: Also, the "gunner" it seems isn't someonw just annoying (since that would include all sorts of people who have bad social etiquette - like belching in public), but more specifically someone who seems to:

++Seek attention, ask questions, and/or make comments in a self-aggrandizing way that sort of shows off his or her konwledge rather than a genuine attempt at learning.

It seems really to be the intent (selfish, arrogant, and self-promoting) + approach (annoying) that defines what people find unappealing and annoying about a "gunner." ]
Last edited by scifiguy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:53 am

scifiguy wrote:I actually did have a rolling backpack last year and somewhat hated it.

You have to be joking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 am

Tom Joad wrote:

You have to be joking.
I had one last year and got a new and different backpack this year.

I didn't have time to shop around my uni after starting classes frantically. I don't remmember wy, but I ddin't have my backpack when I got to campus. I got settled late too and lacked time, so went to our bookstore and bought the cheapest, sturdy looking backpack I could find. It turned out it was a roller (I knoew that going in), but was just glad to have something to start school.

I don't recommend them for reasons stated above, however.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 am

Just be chill and sociable. Don't ask too many questions in class and don't be afraid to not know something. You won't impress anyone and you'll just make everybody hate you. If you think you're smarter than everybody, just shut up and do well on exams.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 am

scifiguy wrote:I'm definitely annoying online sometimes I think. But realizing this makes me want to change now!

Thanks everyone!

[ETA: Also, the "gunner" it seems isn't someonw just annoying (since that would include all sorts of people who have bad social etiquette - like belching in public), but more specifically someone who seems to:

++Seek attention, ask questions, and/or make comments in a self-aggrandizing way that sort of shows off his or her konwledge rather than a genuine attempt at learning.

It seems really to be the intent (selfish, arrogant, and self-promoting) + approach (annoying) that defines what people find unappealing and annoying about a "gunner." ]
No such intent is necessary. I think some of the gunners in my classes genuinely believe that their relentless efforts to inject commentary actually add value for their classmates.

Some general guidelines: If the professor solicits contributions in a generalized manner, then you can contribute proportionately, but suppress the urge to air your every thought. If the professor is not asking for input, speak only if you need clarification on a point you find confusing -- and even then exercise serious restraint. Law is often confusing. Mere confusion does not justify asking multiple questions per class. Go to office hours for clarification. Office hours are also the place to offer your random thoughts and ask questions about any tangential issue or whatever hypotheticals you've devised. Always remember that no one is paying thousands of dollars per course to listen to your thoughts. Whatever you have to say is very likely either wrong or substantially less interesting than you believe, or both. No one cares what you think.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:51 am

You must be trolling. And well done, 9/10. You lost a point when you ran with the rollie backpack shtick. Let me guess, you call it your Escalade?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm

scifiguy wrote:

Then again, maybe we're supposed to roll them??? :shock: I think I rolled mine a total of 2x during its entire usage. a.) Didn't seem very fashionable to roll mine; and b.) never had that many books or stuff to really have to roll it. But still....be warned about how annoying the frames can be when wearign them!
LOL

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:57 pm

For some reason this thread, and this particular post, has me rolling with laughter.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:58 pm

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Just use common sense about the things you say in class. If you are unable to realize that you're being a gunner.....well, nothing on this website is going to change that. If you are really struggling, limit yourself to 1 voluntary comment per class. As long as it's not too horrible, you should be able to avoid the label of gunner.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:59 pm

OP, just watch this video from NYU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QacL1ArgYZ8

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 pm

On a scale of one to go kill yourself, how gunnerish is it to email the Prof a hypo (that you personally made up) about a concept that you legitimately don't understand?

LaBarrister

Bronze

Post by LaBarrister » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I have a friend who is dealing with a graded, curved participation component in one of his 1L classes right now.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:On a scale of one to go kill yourself, how gunnerish is it to email the Prof a hypo (that you personally made up) about a concept that you legitimately don't understand?
It's kind of gunnerish, but my theory is that if you don't gun in class where your classmates can see it, it's the tree falling in the forest not really making a sound (because really, can you be a gunner without a student audience?) (profs are paid to deal with gunners, students aren't). So go for it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”