Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:26 pm

So, I'm wanting to get some insight into this school. Is Faulkner a decent school? What do people think of this school?

My GPA is a 3.2, but my LSAT was a 139 then a 140. I studied my ass off and still ended up with a low score. Faulkner has sent me an acceptance letter, and I'm not sure what to do. I want to go to school in the Fall, but I dont know if this school is worth it. Any insight is very helpful! Thanks in advance!
Last edited by mweeks on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 pm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here are the responses you will receive from this board:

1. Retake

2. Find another career path

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby kwais » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm

This is not a good school to go to. I do know a happy student there, but he has a guaranteed job. I would imagine that most of his classmates will not be employed like him. You need to retake the LSAT and not sit for it until you are consistently scoring much higher than your previous scores.

mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:39 pm

kwais wrote:This is not a good school to go to. I do know a happy student there, but he has a guaranteed job. I would imagine that most of his classmates will not be employed like him. You need to retake the LSAT and not sit for it until you are consistently scoring much higher than your previous scores.


Thanks! I was scoring consistently higher, but still didnt do well. Thanks for the info!

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 pm


User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby kwais » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:43 pm

mweeks wrote:
kwais wrote:This is not a good school to go to. I do know a happy student there, but he has a guaranteed job. I would imagine that most of his classmates will not be employed like him. You need to retake the LSAT and not sit for it until you are consistently scoring much higher than your previous scores.


Thanks! I was scoring consistently higher, but still didn't do well. Thanks for the info!


Keep at it. I guess this next LSAT is your last for a while, so make it count. Good luck!

mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:44 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603


Thank you!

mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 pm

kwais wrote:
mweeks wrote:
kwais wrote:This is not a good school to go to. I do know a happy student there, but he has a guaranteed job. I would imagine that most of his classmates will not be employed like him. You need to retake the LSAT and not sit for it until you are consistently scoring much higher than your previous scores.


Thanks! I was scoring consistently higher, but still didn't do well. Thanks for the info!


Keep at it. I guess this next LSAT is your last for a while, so make it count. Good luck!



Yeah, If I take it again, it will be in October probably.

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 pm

I know it has a better rep than another "Thomas" School of Law that I have heard of.........

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby 20130312 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:06 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:I know it has a better rep than another "Thomas" School of Law that I have heard of.........

Not saying much.

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby Mick Haller » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 pm

don't go to this crap school. at least Hamburger University would get you a job.

mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Why do you feel it is a bad school?

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 pm

mweeks wrote:Why do you feel it is a bad school?


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=faulkner

this will be everyones reasoning. 40% are employed in firms of less than 10 attorneys. Many will equate that to desperately unemployed classmates trying to work together to make something happen. barely half the class has FT bar required jobs and no salary statistics are reported (which is probably a bad sign). Is it possible to retake? or do you have any other options for schools?

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby utlaw2007 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:43 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here are the responses you will receive from this board:

1. Retake

2. Find another career path


This.

I'm not trying to be an A-hole or a snob. But you have to get your score up. And you have to get admitted into a better school that gives you great odds of being a lawyer, which is why you want to go law school in the first place.

If you can't do this, you should enter into a different profession. If you go to this school, you will likely have to enter into a different profession anyway.

mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:14 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here are the responses you will receive from this board:

1. Retake

2. Find another career path


This.

I'm not trying to be an A-hole or a snob. But you have to get your score up. And you have to get admitted into a better school that gives you great odds of being a lawyer, which is why you want to go law school in the first place.

If you can't do this, you should enter into a different profession. If you go to this school, you will likely have to enter into a different profession anyway.


I understand you're not trying to be an A-hole or a snob, but both of you do come off as an A-hole or a snob. A lot of people do on this site actually. One of the reasons I've been hesitant to post.

So, everyone tells me that if I dont do well on the LSAT, I'm going to be a terrible attorney? How is it that I know more than most people on how to write directs, opens, closes, have a lot of the federal rules of evidence memorized, and have actually taught it to other people? Right, because the LSAT will tell me how good of an attorney I will be. What about people who dont do well on standardized tests? What about the people who admit the LSAT shouldnt be relied upon?

Now, I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but seriously dont say stuff like "you should think about changing professions". In the long run, most of us are going to be colleagues. I had an attorney tell me at a mock trial competition not to kick sand into your opponents face, because they were your colleague. If you piss them off, you're going to have a harder time to make settlements with them.

If you dont have any helpful information than what's been given already, please dont post. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby Randomnumbers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:18 pm

ITT: An intellectually challenged person believes his undergrad mock trial experience is highly valuable.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15455
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 pm

mweeks wrote:So, everyone tells me that if I dont do well on the LSAT, I'm going to be a terrible attorney?

No. If you do terribly on the LSAT it's likely you won't ever become an attorney. Law schools graduate 45,000 people each year and put them into a job market which can only find spots for about 20,000. The overwhelming majority of these jobs will be taken by people from top law schools, leaving almost nothing for people graduating from a place like Thomas Goode Jones School of Law.

Remember that going to law school does not make you an attorney. There are tens of thousands of people who've graduated from law school in recent years and didn't spend a single day practicing. Don't be one of those people.

mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:ITT: An intellectually challenged person believes his undergrad mock trial experience is highly valuable.


How am I intellectually challenged? Because I'm tired of this site telling people they suck? Also, having mock trial experience does put people ahead of the curve. Law schools like applicants who have that experience. I dont find it highly valuable like you say, but I do like that I have it on my application.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 pm

mweeks wrote: How is it that I know more than most people on how to write directs, opens, closes, have a lot of the federal rules of evidence memorized, and have actually taught it to other people?
OK, you learned the rules. A paralegal knows the rules. Hell, a high school kid can be taught the rules. I've got news for you. Knowing the rules isn't what a lawyer does. It's required, but it's not what a lawyer does. What a lawyer does is figure out how to apply the rules to any given situation.

I'll give you a (famous) example.

example
Last edited by dingbat on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby Randomnumbers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 pm

mweeks wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:ITT: An intellectually challenged person believes his undergrad mock trial experience is highly valuable.


How am I intellectually challenged? Because I'm tired of this site telling people they suck? Also, having mock trial experience does put people ahead of the curve. Law schools like applicants who have that experience. I dont find it highly valuable like you say, but I do like that I have it on my application.


mweeks wrote:My GPA is a 3.2, but my LSAT was a 139 then a 140. I studied my ass off and still ended up with a low score.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby 20130312 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:33 pm

mweeks wrote:Also, having mock trial experience does put people ahead of the curve. Law schools like applicants who have that experience.

Says who?

utlaw2007
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby utlaw2007 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:33 pm

mweeks wrote:So, I'm wanting to get some insight into this school. Is Faulkner a decent school? What do people think of this school?


This was your initial question, no? You inquired about the law school. Your LSAT score is plenty relevant because it primarily dictates what law school you can attend. It's not about whether you can be a good attorney if you go to Joe Blow School of Law. The issue is whether you would even be hired to LEARN how to be a lawyer. Law school is helpful in this regard, but it doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer.

You don't know how to properly make any kind of statement at trial because you don't know the rules of evidence or civil procedure. Memorizing the rules and demonstrating a mastery of the rules are two different things.

The main thing is that you cannot ask a question about a law school, and then proceed to get mad at the answer. Don't ask the question then. You are free to go to this school if you want. We're just telling you the most likely outcome.

If you feel you are the chosen one who has more ability than most existing lawyers, then there is no reason for you to come here and ask questions.

By the way, I'm a practicing trial lawyer. And all trial lawyers are not created equal. So I really question the proficiency of trial lawyers who would tell you that you are already ahead of the game. Either, they have no clue as to what they are talking about or they are being very kind to you. Be humble and accept the fact that you have no proficiency regarding any trial aspect. I'm not saying whether you have or don't have an inherent ability to gain trial proficiency, but you should wait until you have been educated on trial advocacy and have actually had a few trials under your belt where you can gauge your outcomes before making an assessment as to your trial ability.

The first step to getting to an expert level is realizing that you don't know anything. I often find that the ones that know it all with little to no experience never grow to get better at what they want to do. They think they know it all. So they don't try to get better.
Last edited by utlaw2007 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby eric922 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:35 pm

mweeks wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:ITT: An intellectually challenged person believes his undergrad mock trial experience is highly valuable.


How am I intellectually challenged? Because I'm tired of this site telling people they suck? Also, having mock trial experience does put people ahead of the curve. Law schools like applicants who have that experience. I dont find it highly valuable like you say, but I do like that I have it on my application.

No they like people who have a high GPA or high LSAT so they can increase their U.S. World News ranking.

mweeks
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby mweeks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm sorry to have wasted everyone's time. Thanks for everyone who replied and looked. Have a nice day.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Thomas Goode Jones School of Law

Postby goldeneye » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 pm

It's not that you won't be a good lawyer, it's that you won't ever have the chance from this school.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: superpatton and 5 guests