Pass/Fail courses and clerkships

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
transfer2014

Pass/Fail courses and clerkships

Postby transfer2014 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm a second semester 2L looking to protect my GPA and have a relaxing second half of law school. I've looked at my classes for this semester and I'm considering taking a few classes which are mandatory pass/fail, taking another class that I've always planned to use one of my optional pass/fail's on, and taking a class outside the law school (which does not count toward my law school GPA), leaving me with only one graded law class. All of these classes are classes I am interested in and want to take - I am not doing this solely for the pass/fail's. At this point, I am concerned about clerkships. To people's knowledge or in their experience, would judges care about a bunch of classes that do not count towards the law school GPA?

thelawdoctor

Re: Pass/Fail courses and clerkships

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:37 pm

They shouldn't help or hurt since they are GPA neutral.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:01 pm

I have heard that some judges care about this kind of thing. I have no idea how common it is that they care, though.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I have heard that some judges care about this kind of thing. I have no idea how common it is that they care, though.

so personal preferences?
If so it might help to find others who have applied and/or served under that specific judge.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”