Southern University Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
melo13

Southern University Law School

Postby melo13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Any opinions on this school, I am currently working in Baton Rouge, I am considering attending for a year and transferring to NC , where I intend to practice. Thanks in advance

dingbat

Re: Southern University Law School

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm

melo13 wrote:Any opinions on this school, I am currently working in Baton Rouge, I am considering attending for a year and transferring to NC , where I intend to practice. Thanks in advance

Do not attend a law school you do not intend to graduate from.

melo13

Postby melo13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Thank you very much and that is what I was wondering, and why is that the case

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 pm

melo13 wrote:Thank you very much and that is what I was wondering, and why is that the case

Because transferring isn't that easy - especially if you're trying to transfer from a school as shitty as Southern University. Unless you've got good grades, it's unlikely to happen and there's no way of knowing whether your grades will be good enough until it's too late.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:01 pm

melo13 wrote:Thank you very much and that is what I was wondering, and why is that the case

Because the odds are you won't be able to transfer. You probably need to be in at least the top 10% of your class to transfer to a decent school in NC(sorry for some reason I read that as NYC) and that means you have a 90% chance of failing to transfer and then you are stuck at Southern University and more than likely stuck in Baton Rouge for most of your career. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you really have no idea what your grades will be. Everything thinks they can be top of their class, but this site is full of stories of people who fell below median despite being very smart and hardworking.
Last edited by eric922 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:08 pm

eric922 wrote:

Because the odds are you won't be able to transfer. You probably need to be in at least the top 10% of your class to transfer to a decent school in NYC and that means you have a 90% chance of failing to transfer and then you are stuck at Southern University and more than likely stuck in Baton Rouge for most of your career. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you really have no idea what your grades will be. Everything thinks they can be top of their class, but this site is full of stories of people who fell below median despite being very smart and hardworking.

NC, not NYC, but other than that, this is correct.

As an aside, there are some schools that would be willing to take OP as a transfer, but those aren't worth attending (neither is Southern Methodist, by the way)

melo13

Postby melo13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 pm

thanks again, Im just down here working for another year, my wife is working hear and I did not want to blow a year before I went back to NC, how bad of a school is southern. Im in my 40s, and I have a successful real estate business in NC, I was planning on transfering to a t3-4 school in NC and practice Real Estate and business law, maybe open a small firm.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:40 pm

melo13 wrote:thanks again, Im just down here working for another year, my wife is working hear and I did not want to blow a year before I went back to NC, how bad of a school is southern. Im in my 40s, and I have a successful real estate business in NC, I was planning on transfering to a t3-4 school in NC and practice Real Estate and business law, maybe open a small firm.

Coming out of a t3/t4 you'd just about have to open your own firm. That being said, the education itself is probably fine; presumably more practical and less theoretic, but that doesn't really matter.

If you're ok with that prospect, find some schools in NC and ask them about the transfer process.

You're in a different situation than most other people, so keep in mind that most of the kids on this board don't understand your perspective

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 pm

melo13 wrote:thanks again, Im just down here working for another year, my wife is working hear and I did not want to blow a year before I went back to NC, how bad of a school is southern. Im in my 40s, and I have a successful real estate business in NC, I was planning on transfering to a t3-4 school in NC and practice Real Estate and business law, maybe open a small firm.

Southern is awful, just awful. Southern is worse than just about every T4. You should just wait a year until you are back in NC and apply then. If you can't do that, don't go to law school.

melo13

Postby melo13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Is it really that bad, do you know folks that went there. Thanks

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm

melo13 wrote:Is it really that bad, do you know folks that went there. Thanks

Its really bad
37.1% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=southern

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:16 pm

According to LSN they have a 28.7% employment score. 17.5% of those jobs were PI jobs probably all in the Baton Rouge area.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:25 pm

eric922 wrote:

According to LSN they have a 28.7% employment score. 17.5% of those jobs were PI jobs probably all in the Baton Rouge area.

melo13 wrote:Im in my 40s, and I have a successful real estate business in NC, I was planning on transfering to a t3-4 school in NC and practice Real Estate and business law, maybe open a small firm.

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Even if you're looking to open a small firm to compliment you real estate business, I would avoid Southern. Remember, Louisiana is the only state with a civil code and one of the areas where that becomes a big deal is property/real estate transactions. So not only are your chances of a successful transfer slim, anything you learn at Southern may not apply to local NC laws.

Take the extra year to study, retake the LSAT, then get $$ to a local NC school. For your situation, debt management will be more important than prestige, so a full scholarship to somewhere like NCCU might not be the worst thing.

melo13

Postby melo13 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Thank you very much

contrapositive1

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 pm

good school

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”