Pepperdine 3L Taking Questions Again

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rad lulz

Re: Pepperdine 3L Taking Questions Again

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm

What's it like going to school w Gatriel

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 pm

kdog1147 wrote:Hey thanks for taking time to answer questions. I'm wondering a bit about the local life. I'm coming from FL so I don't have a lot to go on. I'm interested in picking up surfing while I'm there (I need to keep active while in school or I go insane). I've always been an outdoor person (live to rock climb) and I would like to keep that. As a surfer (and what seems like outdoor person?) do you have any suggestions?

Surfrider beach is down the street from Pepperdine which makes it easy to surf between classes. It's also easy to surf in the morning or afternoon (either before or after class) because there are a number of surf breaks from Santa Monica to Malibu, usually at least one of them is breaking okay. Surfing in the area tapers off a bit in the winter until spring.

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:What's it like going to school w Gatriel

I actually don't think I've seen him in a really long time, I think he is studying abroad somewhere. I don't follow TLS much outside of this thread (I follow it mostly because I started it) so I don't know what kinds of things he has or has not said, but he's a fairly nice guy in real life, I don't interact with him much if at all though.

raekaya

Postby raekaya » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:23 am

Thank you for helping us all!
I was offered a pretty substantial scholarship (not full but almost 3/4) but I'm worried about the top 50% stipulation. I'm a good student but I'm realistic and know that law school is completely different than undergrad. Like you, I'm risk adverse and that stipulation seems pretty risky. What are your thoughts?
Also, as someone pursuing public interest, is there a place for me at Pepperdine in terms of resources and are there any programs that fund summer public interest work like at some other schools?

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:40 am

raekaya wrote:Thank you for helping us all!
I was offered a pretty substantial scholarship (not full but almost 3/4) but I'm worried about the top 50% stipulation. I'm a good student but I'm realistic and know that law school is completely different than undergrad. Like you, I'm risk adverse and that stipulation seems pretty risky. What are your thoughts?
Also, as someone pursuing public interest, is there a place for me at Pepperdine in terms of resources and are there any programs that fund summer public interest work like at some other schools?

There is always an element of uncertainty with scholarship stips. I can say that my year the stipulation was top 1/3, a substantial number of people lost the scholarships so they bumped it to top 35% w/ the option to reclaim it (if you lost it) if you were in the top 25% later. So losing the scholarship is a real threat to be taken seriously, even if the stip is top half. I would try and get them to reduce the stip to good academic standing, which will invariably fail, but worth a shot anyways. Personally, if I were in your shoes and was offered a similar scholarship with less restrictive stips at LMU I would go there. Otherwise, remember that keeping your scholarship has two components: maintain grades and gamesmanship. The first part is self explanatory. The second component requires lightly intimate knowledge of the courses. You have the option to take any two classes pass/fail if you get below a certain grade in them, you can use this option after your first year, most people use it on classes like evidence which is a hard class. You can use these early (first semester, second year) if you're on the cusp of losing the scholly (circa 45%) to reduce the number of graded courses your taking while keeping the upside of good grades. Similarly, there are pass/fail classes like trial practice, externships, etc. These work well if your trying to take the risk out of bad grades away from your GPA. I externed the first semester of my second year to avoid any drop in grades, the second semester I took trial practice and use the pass/fail election so I only had two graded classes. That basically reduced the risk of my grades falling substantially (that happens to a lot of people their second years). Keep in mind medians go up though so that must be taken into account.

Regarding the public interest stuff. There are no readily available scholarships I'm aware of simply for public interest. Most have a lengthy application, require you to be some sort of minority, are generally hard to get. The palmer center has some stipends I think, but I don't know much about those.

Razorbackfan19247

Postby Razorbackfan19247 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Do you know of any jobs sponsored through the school offered to 1L's?

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Razorbackfan19247 wrote:Do you know of any jobs sponsored through the school offered to 1L's?

Near the end of the 1L year your section professors will often reach out to the top students for research positions. If you are not contacted directly, many professors will be hiring for the summer the CDO will let you know when/who to apply to. Research positions are available throughout your 2L and 3L years as well. The pay is nominal, like $12 an hour or something like that.

There are some unpaid jobs that are offered through the school I think offered to 1Ls as well, I'm not a good authority on this point though, I think it's Union Rescue Mission/Legal Aid sort of stuff.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Mr. Jones wrote:
mip1011 wrote:Can you give an idea of what the different schools in LA are known for among the students? (I saw that you said in your last post that Pepperdine students are less big-law focused than Loyola. Any little things like that.) I've been accepted at some schools in LA, and don't live in the region, so I've been having a hard time getting information on schools that's not on their website or in an information packet.

Thanks

Obviously I can speak best about what students are like at Pepperdine. Students at Pepperdine seem to be less focused on seeking Biglaw jobs, whether that is because most won't get biglaw jobs anyways or simply do not care is a different question. I believe it's the latter. It seems to me that most students at Pepperdine are interested in pursuing a better work-life balance than Biglaw traditionally offers. However, I believe that in this economy, I don't think that many students would turn down an offer. There are also a lot of students interested in public interest.

My comparison to other LA schools is limited because my experience with them is limited to working with students from them during internships and having a few friends that attend them. Loyola seems to have a bigger focus student wise on chasing biglaw jobs. It has a huge alumni base, so naturally it has a lot of people in the biglaw scene (just by virtue of numbers). That seems to attract a lot of students interested in Biglaw who either couldn't get into UCLA/USC or went to Loyola for a scholarship. Keep in mind though that Loyola is a big school, with a diverse student body.

Regarding USC/UCLA, they obviously place the best for biglaw. It would be a misnomer to claim that all or even a majority of those students get biglaw there though. It will be pitched that the OCI is done on a lottery system so you have a good chance of getting a biglaw interview; however, keep in mind not all interviewees have the chances going into the interview. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that those in the bottom half of the class, or bottom 60% of the class, do not get the biglaw jobs. If you have an acceptance to either one of these schools, you should strongly consider it obviously, but weigh it against scholarships to other schools in the area. Look at it this way: If you get into USC or UCLA you probably have a full or more in scholarships to Pepp or Loyola. Tuition is going to put you out 130K alone. Closer to 155K when interest is factored in. So, even though your friends who get biglaw jobs make 145K per year, they're 155K in the hole compared to students who attend Pepp or Loyola on schollys (that's of course not including living costs which I assume are similar for all schools). So the 145K per year, plus the hours, plus the high tax bracket, will not likely pay back the loans quick enough to justify going to USC or UCLA v. a full ride. That's just my opinion though.

I totally agree with and support this perspective generally. Big debt sucks, even if it is from Yale, and when your choices are a T20 or T30 school at or near sticker versus a full ride at a lower T1 or T2, I think erring toward the money is generally the smart move. Of course it depends on your goals and individual circumstances.

I would be very wary of Pepp's 42% long-term full-time employment for c/o 2012, though. Sure, if you don't have any debt, it means you don't have to find employment, but if you are going to law school to find a legal job, you will be fighting an uphill battle from Pepp. I think most people would be disappointed to spend three years in school and not get a related job even if they didn't incur debt. BTW I don't think this has anything to do with Pepp; I think it is the shaky CA economy combined with way way too many schools. Honestly if you're a prospective student (not you, mip1011) and you're not married to CA, it would probably make sense to go to a lower T1 or T2 for a near full-ride in a stronger region.

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:55 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Mr. Jones wrote:
mip1011 wrote:Can you give an idea of what the different schools in LA are known for among the students? (I saw that you said in your last post that Pepperdine students are less big-law focused than Loyola. Any little things like that.) I've been accepted at some schools in LA, and don't live in the region, so I've been having a hard time getting information on schools that's not on their website or in an information packet.

Thanks

Obviously I can speak best about what students are like at Pepperdine. Students at Pepperdine seem to be less focused on seeking Biglaw jobs, whether that is because most won't get biglaw jobs anyways or simply do not care is a different question. I believe it's the latter. It seems to me that most students at Pepperdine are interested in pursuing a better work-life balance than Biglaw traditionally offers. However, I believe that in this economy, I don't think that many students would turn down an offer. There are also a lot of students interested in public interest.

My comparison to other LA schools is limited because my experience with them is limited to working with students from them during internships and having a few friends that attend them. Loyola seems to have a bigger focus student wise on chasing biglaw jobs. It has a huge alumni base, so naturally it has a lot of people in the biglaw scene (just by virtue of numbers). That seems to attract a lot of students interested in Biglaw who either couldn't get into UCLA/USC or went to Loyola for a scholarship. Keep in mind though that Loyola is a big school, with a diverse student body.

Regarding USC/UCLA, they obviously place the best for biglaw. It would be a misnomer to claim that all or even a majority of those students get biglaw there though. It will be pitched that the OCI is done on a lottery system so you have a good chance of getting a biglaw interview; however, keep in mind not all interviewees have the chances going into the interview. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that those in the bottom half of the class, or bottom 60% of the class, do not get the biglaw jobs. If you have an acceptance to either one of these schools, you should strongly consider it obviously, but weigh it against scholarships to other schools in the area. Look at it this way: If you get into USC or UCLA you probably have a full or more in scholarships to Pepp or Loyola. Tuition is going to put you out 130K alone. Closer to 155K when interest is factored in. So, even though your friends who get biglaw jobs make 145K per year, they're 155K in the hole compared to students who attend Pepp or Loyola on schollys (that's of course not including living costs which I assume are similar for all schools). So the 145K per year, plus the hours, plus the high tax bracket, will not likely pay back the loans quick enough to justify going to USC or UCLA v. a full ride. That's just my opinion though.

I totally agree with and support this perspective generally. Big debt sucks, even if it is from Yale, and when your choices are a T20 or T30 school at or near sticker versus a full ride at a lower T1 or T2, I think erring toward the money is generally the smart move. Of course it depends on your goals and individual circumstances.

I would be very wary of Pepp's 42% long-term full-time employment for c/o 2012, though. Sure, if you don't have any debt, it means you don't have to find employment, but if you are going to law school to find a legal job, you will be fighting an uphill battle from Pepp. I think most people would be disappointed to spend three years in school and not get a related job even if they didn't incur debt. BTW I don't think this has anything to do with Pepp; I think it is the shaky CA economy combined with way way too many schools. Honestly if you're a prospective student (not you, mip1011) and you're not married to CA, it would probably make sense to go to a lower T1 or T2 for a near full-ride in a stronger region.

I agree that the 42% full-time employment is something to strongly consider. Here's my personal take on the job search and 3L's. Other than the 3L's who summered at firms, I don't know of many who are actively looking for employment, some sort of apply every now and again to various firms, but nothing real serious. It's actually fairly difficult to find the balance between applying for jobs, prepping for the bar (MPREs etc), extra curricular and overall life. So I think many 3L's don't look very hard for jobs during their 3L year. Afterwards, I assume less will be looking because the BAR is in July. I believe that post-bar is when the majority of job searching begins - that is 3 months after graduation. At that point, law graduates will face a challenge unique to the law profession, trying to find a job you are unqualified to do because bar results don't come out for another 4.5 months. I personally wouldn't want to hire someone who hasn't passed the bar, if they fail they're set back another 9 or 10 months. It's risky. So if you're lucky, you will find a job after the bar.

All that being said, I believe that the most fruitful and realistic time to search for a job is after you've passed the bar. You'll be more marketable. Unfortunately, that only gives about 1.5 months to find a job to be included in 9 month statistics.

Re the debt, if you have none or very little, you can afford to wait for a job you really want in a location you really want (which will likely come after you pass the bar), rather than taking a job because you have to.

My three cents.

akasabian

Postby akasabian » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

As with most any other law student, I'll be on a tight budget. My question then is, what is considered cheap options for housing? Is it essentially going to be hard to find anything cheaper than the 6k/sem for on-campus?

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 pm

akasabian wrote:As with most any other law student, I'll be on a tight budget. My question then is, what is considered cheap options for housing? Is it essentially going to be hard to find anything cheaper than the 6k/sem for on-campus?

If you rent a room somewhere in Brentwood/SM expect to pay $750-$1,000

TLSDarkHorse

Postby TLSDarkHorse » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:02 pm

How do students in the "middle of the pack" do in terms of finding jobs. OCI is obviously geared towards to the top of the class. In your experience, or people you know know, do students hovering around the middle of the class find work?

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:42 pm

TLSDarkHorse wrote:How do students in the "middle of the pack" do in terms of finding jobs. OCI is obviously geared towards to the top of the class. In your experience, or people you know know, do students hovering around the middle of the class find work?

It depends on what level your talking at. For 1L/2L summer jobs the grades are really important. Those class rankings can easily turn upside down during the third year. In terms of post bar jobs, my friends in the middle of the class seem to be doing okay in the job hunt, at least the ones that are looking. That being said, I would not bank on having and offer when you graduate law school, realistically you will take some time off after the bar, maybe clerk for a bit, and get an offer from another firm after you pass the bar.

Best of luck.

Pepperdine2014

Postby Pepperdine2014 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:14 am

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer questions. I am wondering what the average numbers (GPA and LSAT score) scholarship students have? Particularly those who receive full rides?

Thank you for your time.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:37 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:44 am

Pepperdine2014 wrote:Thank you very much for taking the time to answer questions. I am wondering what the average numbers (GPA and LSAT score) scholarship students have? Particularly those who receive full rides?

Thank you for your time.

It depends based on the amount of scholarship. As a 1L, I know of people who got near full ride ($46k) at around 3.7/164 this last cycle, or 3.8/157 got $15k. They are pretty nice about it, but really do seem to care about the LSAT. But this past cycle they apparently handed out a lot of scholarships to lower stats than in the past.

Pepperdine2014

Postby Pepperdine2014 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:19 pm

KD35 wrote:
Pepperdine2014 wrote:Thank you very much for taking the time to answer questions. I am wondering what the average numbers (GPA and LSAT score) scholarship students have? Particularly those who receive full rides?

Thank you for your time.

It depends based on the amount of scholarship. As a 1L, I know of people who got near full ride ($46k) at around 3.7/164 this last cycle, or 3.8/157 got $15k. They are pretty nice about it, but really do seem to care about the LSAT. But this past cycle they apparently handed out a lot of scholarships to lower stats than in the past.

Thank you for the response, KD35. That is some interesting information...I was a bit worried that my GPA (3.5) might negatively affect my eligibility for a scholarship, but if I can obtain my goal of a 165+ LSAT score, then I might get a decent scholarship...

Thanks again for the info! Do you mind if I ask what year you are?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Pepperdine2014 wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for the response, KD35. That is some interesting information...I was a bit worried that my GPA (3.5) might negatively affect my eligibility for a scholarship, but if I can obtain my goal of a 165+ LSAT score, then I might get a decent scholarship...

First year.

Pepperdine2014

Postby Pepperdine2014 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:26 am

^ Cool. Do you like it so far? What has your experience been like?

jjleague

Postby jjleague » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Anyone still on this page from Pep? Initially there was mention of JAG and I wanted to know if there was a good point of contact on this as I am considering Pepperdine and will be JAG when I graduate, this of course depends on if any scholly is given since my grades were lower than normal.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:41 pm

jjleague wrote:Anyone still on this page from Pep? Initially there was mention of JAG and I wanted to know if there was a good point of contact on this as I am considering Pepperdine and will be JAG when I graduate, this of course depends on if any scholly is given since my grades were lower than normal.

JAG is competitive most everywhere. The Career Development Office has held multiple JAG lunchtime meetings so far. I think Navy and Army have stopped by already? Best option would be to call the office. I don't know of many Pepperdine Law grads who are/were in the JAG program.

Pepperdine2014 wrote:Thank you for the response, KD35. That is some interesting information...I was a bit worried that my GPA (3.5) might negatively affect my eligibility for a scholarship, but if I can obtain my goal of a 165+ LSAT score, then I might get a decent scholarship...

Pepperdine2014: If you have more questions about me, just send me a PM. Don't want to out myself too easily. But any other questions feel free to post here.

Pepperdine2014

Postby Pepperdine2014 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Thank you, KD35. :D

Does Pepperdine give midterm exams during the first year? I have heard that some law schools do not give midterms.

This next question might be outside your knowledge, but for students living on campus, how is their financial aid handled? I image that students are not handed scholarship and/or financial aid money, so do they receive any money in hand for extra expenses such as gas, emergencies and entertainment? Can full-time students work or is there a limit to the number of hours worked per week?

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Have you graduated? If you did, what do you do now for work?

Yes I graduated last year. I stopped posting here b/c I've been busy with a new job...but at one week out from bar results I figured I should stop by. I did get a job, I won't provide too much detail b/c I don't want to reveal myself. It's at a firm 100-200 attorneys, with the primary office in downtown LA. I rotate practice groups right now. I new some people at this firm who hooked me up, I had one other offer from a firm that I mass mailed. Good luck.

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Pepperdine2014 wrote:Thank you, KD35. :D

Does Pepperdine give midterm exams during the first year? I have heard that some law schools do not give midterms.

This next question might be outside your knowledge, but for students living on campus, how is their financial aid handled? I image that students are not handed scholarship and/or financial aid money, so do they receive any money in hand for extra expenses such as gas, emergencies and entertainment? Can full-time students work or is there a limit to the number of hours worked per week?

There are midterms your first year and in select classes after that. I don't know about your other questions really, but yeah some students do work part time after their first year...no limit on hours.

Mr. Jones

Postby Mr. Jones » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 pm

jjleague wrote:Anyone still on this page from Pep? Initially there was mention of JAG and I wanted to know if there was a good point of contact on this as I am considering Pepperdine and will be JAG when I graduate, this of course depends on if any scholly is given since my grades were lower than normal.

JAG is tough to get. Pepperdine has had good placement there. I personally know of a few who got it (air force/navy/reserves).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”