BC 3L Taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BCLS

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BCLS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

lschhope111 wrote:Any tips on finding a room mate in the area? Craigslist?

I know people who have done that and it seemed to work out.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:05 pm

lschhope111 wrote:Any tips on finding a room mate in the area? Craigslist?

BC reslife has this roommate finding feature. http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/re ... tings.html

A lot of folks use the admitted students fb group, too.

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:11 pm

More questions...

Are most social events (bar reviews, etc.) held in Cleveland Circle/Allston/Brighton/Brookline or in downtown Boston or is there a good mix of both?

Best places to study on or near campus?

Do you think the estimated budget listed on BC's website (here http://www.bc.edu/offices/stserv/ltrcost.html under "Law Student Budget") is relatively accurate?

Do you know any people doing dual degrees? How popular are these and how easy is it to add one once you're already in the law school? (I know some schools, for example, where you do have to take the GMAT to add an MBA, but it's almost a formality).

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:50 am

Tremendous wrote:More questions...

Are most social events (bar reviews, etc.) held in Cleveland Circle/Allston/Brighton/Brookline or in downtown Boston or is there a good mix of both?

Do you think the estimated budget listed on BC's website (here http://www.bc.edu/offices/stserv/ltrcost.html under "Law Student Budget") is relatively accurate?

Do you know any people doing dual degrees? How popular are these and how easy is it to add one once you're already in the law school? (I know some schools, for example, where you do have to take the GMAT to add an MBA, but it's almost a formality).

I know tons of people doing dual degrees! The MBA adds an extra year though. I think that budget is about right. I'm thankful to have gotten $$ from scholarships and family so I will have almost no loans.

As for bar reviews, it's a good mix. Recently it seems like more are in the Allston/Cleveland circle area.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm

BCLS wrote:

I know tons of people doing dual degrees! The MBA adds an extra year though. I think that budget is about right. I'm thankful to have gotten $$ from scholarships and family so I will have almost no loans.

As for bar reviews, it's a good mix. Recently it seems like more are in the Allston/Cleveland circle area.

1. Re: social events, it's definitely a good mix between those in Allston/Brighton/Cleveland Circle and those in Boston proper. LSA puts on a Bar Review about every month, and the various spring break pro-bono projects also put on periodic bar reviews to raise $ for their trips. Other popular events organized by the LSA are Law Prom (always in Boston) and Boat Cruise on the Boston Harbor. The LSA rep for my section says she's in the process of planning a trip to the Museum of Fine Arts, with possibly drinks later. A big perk for BC kids is that with student ID you get FREE access to the MFA, New England Aquarium, and Institute of Contemporary Art! :mrgreen:

2. You can apply for the dual degree w/ the Lynch School of Education during your 1L year and start your 2L year. You don't have to take extra standardized tests, and the degree can be completed within 3 years.

3. My fave place to study is the Rare Book Room on the 1st floor of the library because it makes me feel fancy and lawyerly, lol. :) If you wanna escape the pressure cooker that is the BC Law Library during finals period, I recommend the Newton Public Library. It is walking distance.
Last edited by BlueLotus on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm

This doesn't pertain to Tremendous' ?s, but this video, which I'm in, is SO full of win and exemplifies what I love about BC Law. And for those of you who attended ASD, the narrator was on the panel. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84y8cNEBht4

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
BCLS wrote:

1. Re: social events, it's definitely a good mix between those in Allston/Brighton/Cleveland Circle and those in Boston proper. LSA puts on a Bar Review about every month, and the various spring break pro-bono projects also put on periodic bar reviews to raise $ for their trips. Other popular events organized by the LSA are Law Prom (always in Boston) and Boat Cruise on the Boston Harbor. The LSA rep for my section says she's in the process of planning a trip to the Museum of Fine Arts, with possibly drinks later. A big perk for BC kids is that with student ID you get FREE access to the MFA, New England Aquarium, and Institute of Contemporary Art! :mrgreen:

2. You can apply for the dual degree w/ the Lynch School of Education during your 1L year and start your 2L year. You don't have to take extra standardized tests, and the degree can be completed within 3 years.

3. My fave place to study is the Rare Book Room on the 1st floor of the library because it makes me feel fancy and lawyerly, lol. :) If you wanna escape the pressure cooker that is the BC Law Library during finals period, I recommend the Newton Public Library. It is walking distance.

Are you sure free access to those places all the time? Not just college night?

I'm surprised you go to the library- I avoid it at all costs.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 am

Lol, why don't u like studying in the library? I like that there is a security guard at the front, ensuring that it's a freshman free zone. ;) The LSA lounge is a nice spot to study, too, for that reason and also because that couch is heavenly.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 am

PinkLotus wrote:Lol, why don't u like studying in the library? I like that there is a security guard at the front, ensuring that it's a freshman free zone. ;) The LSA lounge is a nice spot to study, too, for that reason and also because that couch is heavenly.

I know a lot of people who actually avoid the library. Many people, including myself, just dislike the atmosphere. It's always loud and it has a dense fog of intensity throughout. I might prefer my sunny apartment desk and pjs.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 am

Plus I'm a 3L. Lol

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 am

BCLS wrote:Plus I'm a 3L. Lol

Do you go home in between classes? 1L classes seem fairly close together time wise man otherwise I'd love to study at home

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 am

AlanShore wrote:
BCLS wrote:Plus I'm a 3L. Lol

Do you go home in between classes? 1L classes seem fairly close together time wise man otherwise I'd love to study at home

My schedule is amazing right now. I only have Tuesday Thursday AM classes and the other days I have a clinic.

As a 2L I was able to stack all my classes on Tuesday and Thursdays, this giving me a 4 day weekend haha.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 am

BCLS wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Lol, why don't u like studying in the library? I like that there is a security guard at the front, ensuring that it's a freshman free zone. ;) The LSA lounge is a nice spot to study, too, for that reason and also because that couch is heavenly.

I know a lot of people who actually avoid the library. Many people, including myself, just dislike the atmosphere. It's always loud and it has a dense fog of intensity throughout. I might prefer my sunny apartment desk and pjs.

Lol! I prefer to get all my work done at school so "law junk" doesn't destroy the sanctity of my home. :D

I'm a 1L and have a 2.5 hour break between Crim and Con Law--I sometimes stroll home (5 min walk) to take a nap, make lunch, etc. Living walking distance from campus is a huge boost to your quality of life, tho the rent is high in Newton.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 am

Are you sure free access to those places all the time? Not just college night?

Info re: free tix for BC kids (not just undergrads): http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/vp ... ships.html

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 am

Tremendous, the estimated budget you posted is a bit high, at least for me, but I don't own a car (walk to school) so your mileage may vary, lol. Room and board are a bit outrageous--most BC Law students don't pay that much rent.

Hey other 0Ls--I hope I've been helpful in this and the BC applicants thread. Unfortunately, the semester is realllllly kicking into overdrive and I won't be following both threads as closely. If you have ?s re: my cycle, classes, social life, etc. don't hesitate to shoot a PM. In my own experience, BCLS has been a great resource for jobs advice.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 am

The budget appears about right for me and most of my buddies. My rent is 1300/month. I know some people paying as much as 1600.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 am

PinkLotus wrote:Tremendous, the estimated budget you posted is a bit high, at least for me, but I don't own a car (walk to school) so your mileage may vary, lol. Room and board are a bit outrageous--most BC Law students don't pay that much rent.

Hey other 0Ls--I hope I've been helpful in this and the BC applicants thread. Unfortunately, the semester is realllllly kicking into overdrive and I won't be following both threads as closely. If you have ?s re: my cycle, classes, social life, etc. don't hesitate to shoot a PM. In my own experience, BCLS has been a great resource for jobs advice.

Haha are you really getting serious? It's not even April yet. Why such a gunner?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 am

BCLS wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Tremendous, the estimated budget you posted is a bit high, at least for me, but I don't own a car (walk to school) so your mileage may vary, lol. Room and board are a bit outrageous--most BC Law students don't pay that much rent.

Haha are you really getting serious? It's not even April yet. Why such a gunner?

Medianpwnage last semester. Remember our convo over PMs? :wink:

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 am

PinkLotus wrote:
BCLS wrote:

Yeah but sometimes just chillin is the best way to the higher grades. I was intense the first semester and didn't do so well. Then I relaxed and was hitting top grades.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm

BCLS wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
BCLS wrote:

Yeah but sometimes just chillin is the best way to the higher grades. I was intense the first semester and didn't do so well. Then I relaxed and was hitting top grades.

BCLS, once you join CSWS, there is NO UNDO! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=196998

:lol:

In all seriousness, I am doing a more "work hard play hard approach" this semester by taking a lot better care of myself (eating better, exercising, attending social events, etc.) Balance is so key to top exam performance.

Where do the folks paying $1600/month rent live? :shock:

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Haha are you really getting serious? It's not even April yet. Why such a gunner?[/quote]

Medianpwnage last semester. Remember our convo over PMs? :wink:[/quote]

Yeah but sometimes just chillin is the best way to the higher grades. I was intense the first semester and didn't do so well. Then I relaxed and was hitting top grades.[/quote]

BCLS, once you join CSWS, there is NO UNDO! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=196998

:lol:

In all seriousness, I am doing a more "work hard play hard approach" this semester by taking a lot better care of myself (eating better, exercising, attending social events, etc.) Balance is so key to top exam performance.

Where do the folks paying $1600/month rent live? :shock:[/quote]

Yeah I make it a priority to eat really well and hit gym 1-2 hrs 6 days a week. They live on comm ave near BU

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 pm

BCLS, is Law Prom worth attending? I had every intention of having a hot date with Erwin Chemerinsky that night instead.

foreveralone.jpg

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:34 pm

PinkLotus wrote:BCLS, is Law Prom worth attending? I had every intention of having a hot date with Erwin Chemerinsky that night instead.

foreveralone.jpg

hahahahah! That was awesome. I never went. It's not my thing lol. Some people loved it though. If you are a pro-LSA person you should probably go. I always just thought those law student weird get-togethers are weird and would rather hang out with my non law school friends.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:54 pm

BCLS wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:BCLS, is Law Prom worth attending? I had every intention of having a hot date with Erwin Chemerinsky that night instead.

foreveralone.jpg

hahahahah! That was awesome. I never went. It's not my thing lol. Some people loved it though. If you are a pro-LSA person you should probably go. I always just thought those law student weird get-togethers are weird and would rather hang out with my non law school friends.

Really? BC seems like a pretty friendly, collegial school--not at all like stereotypical law students. There's not a single person in my section I wouldn't have a drink with.

Speaking of which, you will be happy to know that my gunner a$$ went day drinking with section-mates yesterday between Civ Pro and Con Law. I was in the ER at St. E's the night before, so I really *needed* a mimosa instead of catching up on Con Law reading. :wink:

Back to the BEAST MODE!

Edit: Know anyone from the class of '13 who got EJW/Skadden or some other PI fellowship?

froglee

Postby froglee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:50 am

1- definitely don't need "strong ties" to Boston. As long as you have decent grades you will be able to find something if you work for it.

Hope this helps!!

Do you know that 69.4% of the total BC law school graduates were able to to find fulltime, permanent, JD required jobs in 2011?

And 25% of the total graduates in the same year landed big law jobs?

Do you consider this a desirable outcome for you and your classmates?

I am surprised that nobody bought this up, but rather ask questions about social lives in BC.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”