BC 3L Taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Circlewave
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby Circlewave » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 pm

AlanShore wrote:
Circlewave wrote:How's BC at clerkship placement? I know the number is low, but given their crazy big law placement, is it mostly just a matter of self-selection? Bc is a great school so I doubt it's related to prestige or anything.

?? I wouldn't call BC's law placement crazy.... Its better than peer schools but it's certainly not amazing.


crazy, significant, punching above its weight. pick whichever word you like

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:53 pm

BCLS, did you participate in any of the spring break pro bono trips? I wanted to work in the Navajo Nation, but my gunner ass decided against it this year in order to dedicate my spring "break" to CSWS/GRINDing. :lol:

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

PinkLotus wrote:BCLS, did you participate in any of the spring break pro bono trips? I wanted to work in the Navajo Nation, but my gunner ass decided against it this year in order to dedicate my spring "break" to CSWS/GRINDing. :lol:


If I get accepted and end up attending BC, can we please be friends? ^_^

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:26 am

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:BCLS, did you participate in any of the spring break pro bono trips? I wanted to work in the Navajo Nation, but my gunner ass decided against it this year in order to dedicate my spring "break" to CSWS/GRINDing. :lol:


If I get accepted and end up attending BC, can we please be friends? ^_^


Haha, of course dear! GL with your cycle.

Oh btw, there is a sizable Gator contingent at BC. I was quite surprised...

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 am

I KNOW IM A LOSER FOR ASKING LAPTOP QUESTIONS! is a 13 inch screen for school enough? Or should I get a 14 inch + one?

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 am

AlanShore wrote:I KNOW IM A LOSER FOR ASKING LAPTOP QUESTIONS! is a 13 inch screen for school enough? Or should I get a 14 inch + one?


I have a 14 inch one. That should do the job.

Edit: That sounds dirty. :shock:

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

PinkLotus wrote:
AlanShore wrote:I KNOW IM A LOSER FOR ASKING LAPTOP QUESTIONS! is a 13 inch screen for school enough? Or should I get a 14 inch + one?


I have a 14 inch one. That should do the job.

Edit: That sounds dirty. :shock:

Haha thanks. You mean 13 inch should do the job, right? How was Allston last night? Hope it was fun!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:24 am

Relatedly, does bc use examsoft or any other software that locks down your computer when you take exams?

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:36 am

AlanShore wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
AlanShore wrote:I KNOW IM A LOSER FOR ASKING LAPTOP QUESTIONS! is a 13 inch screen for school enough? Or should I get a 14 inch + one?


I have a 14 inch one. That should do the job.

Edit: That sounds dirty. :shock:

Haha thanks. You mean 13 inch should do the job, right? How was Allston last night? Hope it was fun!


Allston was great! We went to Sunset, which has an insaaaaane beer selection.

Yes, BC uses Examsoft, which locks down your comp as you take exams. That piece of sh*t died on me in the middle of torts, which is why I was medianpwned in that class.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 am

Sunset is great!

O that SUCKS! what did you do??

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BCLS » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 am

Sorry for the delay!! Lol I was just at sunset this week. My apt is right nearby on comm.

I actually didn't go on the service trips. I really can't think of a reason why. I know a lot of people who went and loved them, especially the Navajo reservation trip!

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:55 pm

AlanShore wrote:Sunset is great!

O that SUCKS! what did you do??


I asked the proctor to call in live tech support, who came and fixed the problem in ~20 min (felt like an eternity, lol). During that time, I used a Bluebook to write part of my response. It was a mess.

Funny thing is, same thing happened to my section-mate in torts who joined anteater1 and I at Sunset last nite. It sucks, but it's not always fatal, because an Examsoft crash happened to another section-mate of mine in Property and he had a top grade in the class. :shock:

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Alan, did you get a chance to speak to any of the IP profs at BC?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:15 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Alan, did you get a chance to speak to any of the IP profs at BC?

I didn't. Joseph liu spoke to us and I was planning on sending him an email this week.

Tremendous
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby Tremendous » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Got some random questions for you guys...

How essential/beneficial is it to have a car? How much is a parking pass?


Best way to meet roommates? Just on the Facebook group, attending the Housing Day in June, or something else?


A lot of the students on panels highly recommended networking with lawyers around Boston - they said there's usually at least one event a week. Are these pretty much always in downtown Boston? And have you found these events to be really helpful as well in getting leads on SA's/jobs?


Know anybody doing study abroad / international work? The London program seems interesting but apparently only like 10 people can go and they don't seem to have other listed study abroad programs...


Hardest 1L class?

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 am

Parking passes are $267/year for law students.

http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportatio ... udent.html

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 am

PinkLotus wrote:Parking passes are $267/year for law students.

http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportatio ... udent.html


Is that good parking location though? That's pretty comparable to UF, I'm surprised!

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BCLS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:59 am

Def try and get a car. As a 3L I can't tell you how annoying the T and shuttle becomes. Sometimes it takes me 1.5 hours to get to class from Allston depending on how it's running.

Network network! That's how I got my job. Need to be a hustler.
Last edited by BCLS on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:07 am

BCLS wrote:Def try and get a car. As a 3L I can't tell you how annoying the T and shuttle becomes. Sometimes it takes me 1-5 hours to get to class from Allston depending on how it's running.

Network network! That's how I got my job. Need to be a hustler.

Any good networking tips? Besides attend all events, follow up etc

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 am

AlanShore wrote:
BCLS wrote:Def try and get a car. As a 3L I can't tell you how annoying the T and shuttle becomes. Sometimes it takes me 1-5 hours to get to class from Allston depending on how it's running.

Network network! That's how I got my job. Need to be a hustler.

Any good networking tips? Besides attend all events, follow up etc


Comb thru the alumni directory in Agora and contact alums in your home market that are doing the sort of work you are interested in. The Philly BC Law alum network is fantastic--everyone I've been in touch with has been incredibly friendly and helpful, and I've set up phone convos, lunch dates, etc. In fact, I got my summer gig thru an alum, who interviewed me over the phone and offered me the position on the spot! :mrgreen: Legal eagles reallllly take care of their own, so you should use that to your full advantage.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 am

PinkLotus wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
BCLS wrote:Def try and get a car. As a 3L I can't tell you how annoying the T and shuttle becomes. Sometimes it takes me 1-5 hours to get to class from Allston depending on how it's running.

Network network! That's how I got my job. Need to be a hustler.

Any good networking tips? Besides attend all events, follow up etc


Comb thru the alumni directory in Agora and contact alums in your home market that are doing the sort of work you are interested in. The Philly BC Law alum network is fantastic--everyone I've been in touch with has been incredibly friendly and helpful, and I've set up phone convos, lunch dates, etc. In fact, I got my summer gig thru an alum, who interviewed me over the phone and offered me the position on the spot! :mrgreen: Legal eagles reallllly take care of their own, so you should use that to your full advantage.

Awesome. Thank you.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Tremendous wrote:

A lot of the students on panels highly recommended networking with lawyers around Boston - they said there's usually at least one event a week. Are these pretty much always in downtown Boston? And have you found these events to be really helpful as well in getting leads on SA's/jobs?





I don't know about SA's but I have heard of these events being helpful in getting leads for other kinds of legal jobs--I can think off the top of my head a 2L who worked at the USAO in Boston (Crim Division) last summer who spoke with an AUSA at a networking event and got the job shortly thereafter.

Networking events are pretty frequent in Boston, and are organized by firms, Boston Bar Association, Mass Bar Association, the Boston Lawyers Group (an org dedicated to promoting diversity in the Boston Legal Community), and various other minority groups such as the South Asian Bar Association of Greater Boston, Mass LGBTQ Bar Association, etc. Since I'm a busy 1L w/o a car, it is a pain to get to these events, which usu. take place on weeknights. However, a lot of affinity groups at BC Law bring lawyers on campus for frequent career panels, and I HIGHLY recommend attending, if only for the free food, LOL! When you attend the student org fair in September, join every single affinity group on campus even if you're not "diverse" in the traditional sense so you'll get updates about such events, not to mention a full belly (cafeteria food is obscenely overpriced here, unfortunately :? ).

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Also re: networking, for those interested in PI/Gov, I strongly recommend pro bono work, yes, even as a 1L. 1-2 hours/week will NOT kill your grades, and it's a wonderful opportunity to make connections and get hands-on experience helping real folks with real problems. There are people on Law Review in fact who were heavily involved in pro bono. For convenience, some opportunities are right on campus, such as Lutheran Social Services (BC Law alum who got an EJW fellowship in '10 will supervise you) and the Post-Deportation Human Rights Project. They know ur 1Ls and will understand if you cut off volunteering in the month or so before finals, which I did.
Last edited by BlueLotus on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Tremendous,

Re: international work--a couple of 1Ls each year intern abroad. For those doing public service, about 1-2 get funding thru the Holocaust Human Rights Project summer stipend program.

https://www.bc.edu/schools/law/services ... .html#owen

lschhope111
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby lschhope111 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Any tips on finding a room mate in the area? Craigslist?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigZuck, Hikikomorist, mathis1490, UCLA1984 and 7 guests