BC 3L Taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BCLS

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BCLS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:44 pm

AlanShore wrote:checking in. got in today. hoping for some $ and ill be there this fall!

is parking easy?

Congrats! Very easy. All you need is a parking pass.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Does anybody know about BC Law's Public Service Scholarship selection process?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 am

What's a typical weekly schedule for class?

skri65

Postby skri65 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 am

AlanShore wrote:What's a typical weekly schedule for class?

Congrats again AS! I found this the other day on the BC Law website. Seems like the schedule is pretty generous.

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/sch ... faug22.pdf

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 am

whats common lunch?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 am

AlanShore wrote:whats common lunch?

is this kinda like common law?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 am

stillwater wrote:

lol. on the schedule sometimes it says lunch and sometimes common lunch

skri65

Postby skri65 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 am

AlanShore wrote:
stillwater wrote:

lol. on the schedule sometimes it says lunch and sometimes common lunch

I'm going to take a stab and guess that on days when it says common lunch, all 1Ls have lunch period at the same time.

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Does anyone have any information on IP stuff at BC? I know they have the Intellectual Property and Technology Forum, but are they an active group? Does being a member have the same kind of advantage as journals? Thanks!

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:54 pm

rufus&miles wrote:Does anyone have any information on IP stuff at BC? I know they have the Intellectual Property and Technology Forum, but are they an active group? Does being a member have the same kind of advantage as journals? Thanks!

I'm interested in this as well

skri65

Postby skri65 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm

AlanShore wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:Does anyone have any information on IP stuff at BC? I know they have the Intellectual Property and Technology Forum, but are they an active group? Does being a member have the same kind of advantage as journals? Thanks!

I'm interested in this as well

+1

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see so many people interested in IP here. Yay!

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:26 pm

I wish I knew more to help you guys with IP... I don't sorry! I took one amazing IP survey course but that's it.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

BCLS: What is the process of getting into a clinic? Is it just lottery, or is it based on grades/WE/personal statement, etc? First choice is JRAP, second is Immigration. I'd assume rising 3Ls would get their top picks.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm

BCLS wrote:I wish I knew more to help you guys with IP... I don't sorry! I took one amazing IP survey course but that's it.

Don't know much about the subject, however students at BC with IP creds (i.e. "hard" science backgrounds) have gotten 1L SAs. If ur coming down for ASD, I suggest you meet up with profs David Olson and Joseph Liu.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:40 pm

PinkLotus wrote:BCLS: What is the process of getting into a clinic? Is it just lottery, or is it based on grades/WE/personal statement, etc? First choice is JRAP, second is Immigration. I'd assume rising 3Ls would get their top picks.

Hey! Bottom line- if you want a clinic you will get in one. 3Ls do get preference. It also is a lottery system that includes gpa, work experience etc. You will have multiple chances to apply if rejected the first time.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
BCLS wrote:I wish I knew more to help you guys with IP... I don't sorry! I took one amazing IP survey course but that's it.

Don't know much about the subject, however students at BC with IP creds (i.e. "hard" science backgrounds) have gotten 1L SAs. If ur coming down for ASD, I suggest you meet up with profs David Olson and Joseph Liu.

I'm interested in ip but don't have a hard science background. I know that helps but have heard it's not a prerequisite. Thanks for the professor names.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm

AlanShore wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

I'm interested in ip but don't have a hard science background. I know that helps but have heard it's not a prerequisite. Thanks for the professor names.

You can do copyright without that background and probably trademark. I had ip survey with Liu and nailed an A. He's an amazing professor.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 am

BCLS: What are the curves like in upper-level courses?

How have BC students fared in the Philadelphia Off-Campus Interviewing Program?

0Ls: If you're sitting in on Prof. Brown's class for ASD, don't hesitate to approach me to ask ?s or just say "hi"! I'll be sitting in the front row, wearing a purple long-sleeved shirt.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:39 am

PinkLotus wrote:BCLS: What are the curves like in upper-level courses?

How have BC students fared in the Philadelphia Off-Campus Interviewing Program?

0Ls: If you're sitting in on Prof. Brown's class for ASD, don't hesitate to approach me to ask ?s or just say "hi"! I'll be sitting in the front row, wearing a purple long-sleeved shirt.

Upper level curves are the same as the lower level courses. However, if you have a class smaller than 25 or 20 people, the curve is modified from a B or B+ to a B+ or A-. It all depends on how big your class is.

I'm not too sure about PA. I imagine they have done pretty well. I really only know NY and Boston-- sorry!

colonelnerd

Postby colonelnerd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks so much for taking questions!

I have just been accepted for the class of 2016, and I REALLY want to go. But I am super poor, how does BC respond to negotiating for Fin Aid? I've gotten a full ride from Northeastern and accepted at BU as well.

Anybody have advice on how I should go about pursuing merit $$$? (LSAT 165, GPA 3.8 from small liberal arts, very strong softs)

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm

colonelnerd wrote:Thanks so much for taking questions!

I have just been accepted for the class of 2016, and I REALLY want to go. But I am super poor, how does BC respond to negotiating for Fin Aid? I've gotten a full ride from Northeastern and accepted at BU as well.

Anybody have advice on how I should go about pursuing merit $$$? (LSAT 165, GPA 3.8 from small liberal arts, very strong softs)

Congrats!! It's tough. If you get a scholarship from a peer school like BU I would mention that to admissions. They will likely give you something.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 pm

BCLS wrote:
colonelnerd wrote:Thanks so much for taking questions!

Congrats!! It's tough. If you get a scholarship from a peer school like BU I would mention that to admissions. They will likely give you something.

I applied in 2011 (when law school admissions was more competitive) with slightly worse numbers and got $15K/year. If you get a scholly from BU or any other peer school, I would use it as a bargaining chip.

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm

How's BC at clerkship placement? I know the number is low, but given their crazy big law placement, is it mostly just a matter of self-selection? Bc is a great school so I doubt it's related to prestige or anything.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Circlewave wrote:How's BC at clerkship placement? I know the number is low, but given their crazy big law placement, is it mostly just a matter of self-selection? Bc is a great school so I doubt it's related to prestige or anything.

?? I wouldn't call BC's law placement crazy.... Its better than peer schools but it's certainly not amazing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”