BC 3L Taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AlanShore

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby AlanShore » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:04 pm

ionoiforgot wrote:
AlanShore wrote:I recently got a new laptop-- does BC offer student discounts for Microsoft products? if so, I will wait.

I'm a 1L currently, but to answer your question, our school offers all the programs like Word, Excel, etc for free through download off the internet.

awesome.

ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Inconceivable! wrote:BC 3L or any current BC Student:

What is your favorite part of BC Law?

and

What is the one thing you could wish you could change?

As a 1L I can't speak yet upon OCI/jobs definitively. That said, I enjoy the friendly atmosphere here at BC. It's underrated to be honest just how much it helps make the law school experience that much easier and better. You pretty much will know everyone in your entire class (~210?) by either face or name. Common lunch hours enable friendships to continue even if you aren't in the same section. All classes start around 10 AM and end around 2:30 PM (first semester) and enable people to feel basically like they're in high school. The experience is great.

If I could change one thing, it's probably the 1L legal writing program's grading system. I note that I have been very pleased overall with our legal writing program: it's a year long and has been amazingly helpful. I definitely think it's something that sets BC apart from other schools (in a positive way). That said, I remain (perhaps biased/ignorant) of the opinion that there's inevitably some portions of writing that is subjective no matter how you cut it. Thus I would prefer writing not have sections split in half. Instead, I would prefer the normal sections of 70-80 to have the 2 designated writing professors teach together and grade all the papers together. The idea of a panel of 2 professors grade each of my assignment for an averaged out grade just seems more fair...but that's just probably nitpicking.

Inconceivable!

Postby Inconceivable! » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:33 pm

ionoiforgot wrote:
Inconceivable! wrote:BC 3L or any current BC Student:

What is your favorite part of BC Law?

and

What is the one thing you could wish you could change?

As a 1L I can't speak yet upon OCI/jobs definitively. That said, I enjoy the friendly atmosphere here at BC. It's underrated to be honest just how much it helps make the law school experience that much easier and better. You pretty much will know everyone in your entire class (~210?) by either face or name. Common lunch hours enable friendships to continue even if you aren't in the same section. All classes start around 10 AM and end around 2:30 PM (first semester) and enable people to feel basically like they're in high school. The experience is great.

If I could change one thing, it's probably the 1L legal writing program's grading system. I note that I have been very pleased overall with our legal writing program: it's a year long and has been amazingly helpful. I definitely think it's something that sets BC apart from other schools (in a positive way). That said, I remain (perhaps biased/ignorant) of the opinion that there's inevitably some portions of writing that is subjective no matter how you cut it. Thus I would prefer writing not have sections split in half. Instead, I would prefer the normal sections of 70-80 to have the 2 designated writing professors teach together and grade all the papers together. The idea of a panel of 2 professors grade each of my assignment for an averaged out grade just seems more fair...but that's just probably nitpicking.

Thank you for the answers. It seems like anyone I have ever talked to about BC Law (given its not a ton) or read about really likes BC and no one regrets going there, which is great to hear.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:27 pm

skri65 wrote:
colonelnerd wrote:So I'm currently agonizing over my decision between BU and BC. Mind answering a few questions?

Is the BC Alumni network really as mafia-like as it's reputation? I come from a very small school that really protects its own, and that kind of alum network is really important to me.

Does BC really enjoy an edge over BU here in Boston, or is that just BU self-selection/not being from around here?

I'm assuming you probably had to choose between BU/BC as well, what ultimately made you choose BC?

0L here...someone with experience in the Boston legal market will have to answer this, but I know that part of BC's general reputation in the Boston area comes from the reputation of its undergrad program, which has historically been much higher ranked than BU. Bostonians who know nothing about the Boston legal market talk about BC Law as if it is a better program, but again, I imagine this is due to the reputation its undergrad program has in the area. I do not know how this translates from a general public reputation to reputations of the schools within the Boston legal industry, but I imagine there is not a huge difference between the two given the similar employment outcomes.

It has little to do with undergraduate school rankings. It is because, historically, BC Law was ranked higher (at some points much higher) than BU Law--talking about 70's, 80's and 90's.

mh33

Postby mh33 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:36 pm

mh33 wrote:Would any of you care to comment on any experience you have with the mid-smallish market in Boston (25-100 attorneys)? How do you go about choosing where to apply? What kind of grades does that require? What are starting salaries like? How does day-to-day compare to larger firms? Do people tend to stay with those firms more frequently and for how long?

Thanks!

Just wanted to bump this comment. If any BC students have any insight, I'd love to hear it!

ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:32 pm

mh33 wrote:
mh33 wrote:Would any of you care to comment on any experience you have with the mid-smallish market in Boston (25-100 attorneys)? How do you go about choosing where to apply? What kind of grades does that require? What are starting salaries like? How does day-to-day compare to larger firms? Do people tend to stay with those firms more frequently and for how long?

Thanks!

Just wanted to bump this comment. If any BC students have any insight, I'd love to hear it!

From having talked to lawyers (again, I'm a 1L, take it for what it's worth):

How does day-to-day compare to larger firms? Do people tend to stay with those firms more frequently and for how long?

The legal community is fluid, there is no unique features attributable to any specific field, size of firm, etc. People are just seeking a place they'll be comfortable working. Factors vary (money, family life, culture/people, etc).

How do you go about choosing where to apply?

BC does have a "meet the employers" event where you can meet some Bostonian firms, but in general, it's always about doing the leg work. How much work you do depends on you: grades/desperation/field preference.

BostonBornRising2L

Postby BostonBornRising2L » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Can any 2/3Ls recommend which upper level electives are easier than others (including which professors are generally easier)? For example, if I wanted to boost my GPA with the least amount of effort (not that I'm afraid to put in work around exam time), which classes would you recommend I take? Also, is it true that the curve goes way up in classes that are of a smaller class size?

Feel free to PM me! Thanks.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 pm

BostonBornRising2L wrote:Can any 2/3Ls recommend which upper level electives are easier than others (including which professors are generally easier)? For example, if I wanted to boost my GPA with the least amount of effort (not that I'm afraid to put in work around exam time), which classes would you recommend I take? Also, is it true that the curve goes way up in classes that are of a smaller class size?

Curve is much more lenient in <25 classes

I boosted my gpa big time with:

All advanced legal writing courses and legal research too
Civil motions practice
American jury
Civil discovery practice
Trial practice
Dispute negotiations
Mediation

BostonBornRising2L

Postby BostonBornRising2L » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am

BCLS wrote:
BostonBornRising2L wrote:Can any 2/3Ls recommend which upper level electives are easier than others (including which professors are generally easier)? For example, if I wanted to boost my GPA with the least amount of effort (not that I'm afraid to put in work around exam time), which classes would you recommend I take? Also, is it true that the curve goes way up in classes that are of a smaller class size?

Civil motions practice
American jury
Civil discovery practice
Trial practice
Dispute negotiations
Mediation

Thanks, BCLS!!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 am

BCLS wrote:

Civil motions practice
American jury
Civil discovery practice
Trial practice
Dispute negotiations
Mediation

Good stuff! Thanks BCLS.

Thoughts on taking Environmental Law with Plater? FYI, I LOVE eccentric, elderly, disorganized profs (read: Katz), so his personality won't bother me one bit. Hope to take it p/f.

gpallet01

Postby gpallet01 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 am

Does the COA seem a little low for Boston? Any current students care to chime in if it's enough to get by for the year. BU and BC both are around the same so maybe I'm just overestimating how expensive Boston is. Thanks.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:16 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
BCLS wrote:

Civil motions practice
American jury
Civil discovery practice
Trial practice
Dispute negotiations
Mediation

Good stuff! Thanks BCLS.

Thoughts on taking Environmental Law with Plater? FYI, I LOVE eccentric, elderly, disorganized profs (read: Katz), so his personality won't bother me one bit. Hope to take it p/f.

I hate Plater. My lowest grade in law school. Didn't make any sense to me. BEWARE hahahah. Some people love him though.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 pm

gpallet01 wrote:Does the COA seem a little low for Boston? Any current students care to chime in if it's enough to get by for the year. BU and BC both are around the same so maybe I'm just overestimating how expensive Boston is. Thanks.

It's probably impossible if you live on your own and have a car. But if you have several roommates, do not have a care, and live very modestly, you can probably survive through the school year.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm

when do we get placed in sections and get our schedules? does this happen during orientation or before that?

Inconceivable!

Postby Inconceivable! » Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Having trouble finding it on the website: how many sections are there 1st year/what size are they? What is the student range in upper level classes?

Thanks!

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Inconceivable! wrote:Having trouble finding it on the website: how many sections are there 1st year/what size are they? What is the student range in upper level classes?

Thanks!

http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/schools/la ... dules.html

Last year there were 3 sections. 245 enrolled students so 81, 82 per section

rambleon65

Postby rambleon65 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 pm

BCLS wrote:
AlanShore wrote:checking in. got in today. hoping for some $ and ill be there this fall!

is parking easy?

Congrats! Very easy. All you need is a parking pass.

How much does a parking pass cost??

Also, how am I looking in terms of finding a studio apartment (~less than $1200/month) within 40 mins of commute???

Thanks!

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 pm

I have a one bedroom and it's 1300 on comm ave. def can get a studio 1100

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Congrats, BCLS, and GL with bar prep!

A few ?s:

-Who's better for Con Law II: Albert or Greenfield?
-How about T&E: Bilder or Madoff?

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:15 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Congrats, BCLS, and GL with bar prep!

A few ?s:

Thanks! I heard terrrible things about Albert with conlaw. I had Greenfield and he was pretty decent. Not sure about the other two.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 pm

BCLS wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Congrats, BCLS, and GL with bar prep!

A few ?s:

Thanks! I heard terrrible things about Albert with conlaw. I had Greenfield and he was pretty decent. Not sure about the other two.

Haha, thanks. Who's the best prof to take PR with? How about Trial Practice? What are curves like in clinics (doing JRAP, really stoked) and seminar classes?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Another quick ?:

I wanna squeeze a fun 1-2 credit class to take P/F this fall (other class I'm planning to do P/F is Environmental Law in fall 2014, which is 4 credits). What would you recommend?

...btw, BCLS, it's time for you to change the name of this thread to "BC Grad taking questions..." :)

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Another quick ?:

I wanna squeeze a fun 1-2 credit class to take P/F this fall (other class I'm planning to do P/F is Environmental Law in fall 2014, which is 4 credits). What would you recommend?

...btw, BCLS, it's time for you to change the name of this thread to "BC Grad taking questions..." :)

hahaha I really should. I took dispute negotiations with Anderson and really enjoyed that!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm

BCLS, approx. how many BC c/o 2013 kiddos are still stuck in the Vale?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”