BC 3L Taking questions... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tremendous

New

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Post by Tremendous » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm

I was just thinking about this...

If you bring a car, what would be ideal areas to live if you want to avoid high costs for a parking space?

Is it better to just avoid Allston/Brighton and just live somewhere more suburban in Newton?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Tremendous wrote:I was just thinking about this...

If you bring a car, what would be ideal areas to live if you want to avoid high costs for a parking space?

Is it better to just avoid Allston/Brighton and just live somewhere more suburban in Newton?
That's not a bad idea. People pay as high as 200/month for parking in Allston/Brighton/Cleveland Circle. Maybe you can find an apartment with a pre-provided space, though. Check out apts on Craigslist-- I have a lot of buddies with spaces included with their apartments.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Tremendous wrote:I was just thinking about this...

I live in Somerville and plan on staying here. Street parking but I never have any trouble (sometimes its annoying on snow emergency days like today but still i parked only 2 blocks away). I obviously wouldnt recommend living in Somerville.. its 30-35 min drive but I love this area and have lived here for several years.. and my rationale is that if I take the green line from brighton, it will end up taking at least that long anyway. One student I met during ASD lived in the south end for the same reason (parking sucks there though)

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Yah, I live in the North End right now. I love it here as well, and am just going to suck up the drive for the first year should I go to BC. I pay for parking as it is.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 pm

skri65 wrote:Yah, I live in the North End right now. I love it here as well, and am just going to suck up the drive for the first year should I go to BC. I pay for parking as it is.
omg car in the north end? you're crazy!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Most certainly. My SO needs to drive to work. We have a parking space we pay an obscene amount for, but in comparison to the terrifying loans I'm about to take out it doesn't seem so bad anymore. Love the area though, great restaurants, close to downtown areas, and I get to walk my dog on the harbor walk/right on the waterfront every morning. Now if only BC would give me a scholarship so I can stay.

rooneydbc

New

Post by rooneydbc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for putting on such a great ASD, it certainly made me consider BC even more seriously than I already was. I have a random question that maybe you guys could answer: does BC have a Student Animal Legal Defense Fund club? I'm really interested in getting involved in animals rights on a volunteer basis and would love to be involved at school.

Thanks!

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:50 pm

rooneydbc wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks for putting on such a great ASD, it certainly made me consider BC even more seriously than I already was. I have a random question that maybe you guys could answer: does BC have a Student Animal Legal Defense Fund club? I'm really interested in getting involved in animals rights on a volunteer basis and would love to be involved at school.

Thanks!
0L who is leaning (almost decided) on BC, but I am fairly sure they do not have a SALDF, however at the ASD some of the converstions that were had implied it was fairly easy to create new clubs at BC as long as their is enough interest. BU does have a SALDF that started up this year (if I am wrong feel free to correct me on any of this)

But I would be interested in this as well.

rooneydbc

New

Post by rooneydbc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm

rufus&miles wrote:
rooneydbc wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks!
0L who is leaning (almost decided) on BC, but I am fairly sure they do not have a SALDF, however at the ASD some of the converstions that were had implied it was fairly easy to create new clubs at BC as long as their is enough interest. BU does have a SALDF that started up this year (if I am wrong feel free to correct me on any of this)

But I would be interested in this as well.
For some reason the ALDF page lists BC as a school that has the club, but it's not shown on BC's student organizations page, so I have no clue. It's something I'd be really passionate about starting, if BC doesn't have the club already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 pm

I was looking at the 2012 employment stats and it looks like the judicial clerkship number dropped a lot this year compared to 2011 and 2010-- anyone know why/what the story is?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Nope no idea.

Tremendous

New

Post by Tremendous » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Employment stats are pretty interesting this year. Seems like BU's big-firm stats had a pretty sizable jump from last year but BC's are about the same.

Guessing this is just a one-year aberration and that they're both about equal for placing into those positions. At least I hope...because I really prefer BC.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Tremendous wrote:Employment stats are pretty interesting this year. Seems like BU's big-firm stats had a pretty sizable jump from last year but BC's are about the same.

Guessing this is just a one-year aberration and that they're both about equal for placing into those positions. At least I hope...because I really prefer BC.
same......

BU did well this year. However, I think its important to recognize BC's consistency. I wish they had a little bit better #s but they are consistent whereas BU seems to go up and down depending on the year which makes me nervous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rooneydbc

New

Post by rooneydbc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:17 pm

I wonder why there was a pretty large jump in business and industry jobs.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm

rooneydbc wrote:I wonder why there was a pretty large jump in business and industry jobs.
thats usually a bad sign, imo

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:23 am

AlanShore wrote:
Tremendous wrote:Employment stats are pretty interesting this year. Seems like BU's big-firm stats had a pretty sizable jump from last year but BC's are about the same.

same......

BU did well this year. However, I think its important to recognize BC's consistency. I wish they had a little bit better #s but they are consistent whereas BU seems to go up and down depending on the year which makes me nervous.

This is just a guess, but it may be that the NY and West Coast legal markets are picking up a bit faster than the Boston legal market. The explanation could be that because BU traditionally places more students into those markets than BC places (which usually does much better in Boston), BU's big-firm employment stats are better.

Tremendous

New

Post by Tremendous » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:24 pm

I quickly computed some BU vs. BC statistics from Law School Transparency for the past 3 years (averaged over classes of 2010, 2011, and 2012).

Results

BC Large Firm Score: 28.7% 500+ Lawyer Firm Score: 16.81% Federal Clerkship Rate: 3.45% School-Funded: 8.3%
BU Large Firm Score: 27.96% 500+ Lawyer Firm Score: 18.68% Federal Clerkship Rate: 2.56% School-Funded: 16.23%

Pretty much identical.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Tremendous wrote:I quickly computed some BU vs. BC statistics from Law School Transparency for the past 3 years (averaged over classes of 2010, 2011, and 2012).

Results

BC Large Firm Score: 28.7% 500+ Lawyer Firm Score: 16.81% Federal Clerkship Rate: 3.45% School-Funded: 8.3%
BU Large Firm Score: 27.96% 500+ Lawyer Firm Score: 18.68% Federal Clerkship Rate: 2.56% School-Funded: 16.23%

Pretty much identical.

except the school funded part...BU is 2x. I think the 2012 stats have BU with substantially more school funded jobs - that's obviously a bad sign.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 am

I recently got a new laptop-- does BC offer student discounts for Microsoft products? if so, I will wait.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
Tremendous wrote:I quickly computed some BU vs. BC statistics from Law School Transparency for the past 3 years (averaged over classes of 2010, 2011, and 2012).

Results

Pretty much identical.

except the school funded part...BU is 2x. I think the 2012 stats have BU with substantially more school funded jobs - that's obviously a bad sign.
That is the statistic BU trolls always conveniently leave out.

colonelnerd

New

Post by colonelnerd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 am

So I'm currently agonizing over my decision between BU and BC. Mind answering a few questions?

Is the BC Alumni network really as mafia-like as it's reputation? I come from a very small school that really protects its own, and that kind of alum network is really important to me.

Does BC really enjoy an edge over BU here in Boston, or is that just BU self-selection/not being from around here?

I'm assuming you probably had to choose between BU/BC as well, what ultimately made you choose BC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 am

colonelnerd wrote:So I'm currently agonizing over my decision between BU and BC. Mind answering a few questions?

Is the BC Alumni network really as mafia-like as it's reputation? I come from a very small school that really protects its own, and that kind of alum network is really important to me.

Does BC really enjoy an edge over BU here in Boston, or is that just BU self-selection/not being from around here?

I'm assuming you probably had to choose between BU/BC as well, what ultimately made you choose BC?

0L here...someone with experience in the Boston legal market will have to answer this, but I know that part of BC's general reputation in the Boston area comes from the reputation of its undergrad program, which has historically been much higher ranked than BU. Bostonians who know nothing about the Boston legal market talk about BC Law as if it is a better program, but again, I imagine this is due to the reputation its undergrad program has in the area. I do not know how this translates from a general public reputation to reputations of the schools within the Boston legal industry, but I imagine there is not a huge difference between the two given the similar employment outcomes.

Inconceivable!

Bronze

Post by Inconceivable! » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm

BC 3L or any current BC Student:

What is your favorite part of BC Law?

and

What is the one thing you could wish you could change?

mh33

New

Post by mh33 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Would any of you care to comment on any experience you have with the mid-smallish market in Boston (25-100 attorneys)? How do you go about choosing where to apply? What kind of grades does that require? What are starting salaries like? How does day-to-day compare to larger firms? Do people tend to stay with those firms more frequently and for how long?

Thanks!

ionoiforgot

New

Post by ionoiforgot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 pm

AlanShore wrote:I recently got a new laptop-- does BC offer student discounts for Microsoft products? if so, I will wait.
I'm a 1L currently, but to answer your question, our school offers all the programs like Word, Excel, etc for free through download off the internet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”