BC 3L Taking questions... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AlanShore

Silver

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Post by AlanShore » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 am

froglee wrote:

1- definitely don't need "strong ties" to Boston. As long as you have decent grades you will be able to find something if you work for it.

Hope this helps!!
Do you know that 69.4% of the total BC law school graduates were able to to find fulltime, permanent, JD required jobs in 2011?

And 25% of the total graduates in the same year landed big law jobs?

Do you consider this a desirable outcome for you and your classmates?

I am surprised that nobody bought this up, but rather ask questions about social lives in BC.
Thanks for the info, chief. I'm sure none of us have ever heard of lawschooltransparency and are completely unconcerned with getting jobs after law school...

Quite a few of us have messaged back and forth with current students about the job market, OCI, etc. This thread is not the only way to communicate with BC students. Thanks anyway.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:52 am

AlanShore wrote:
froglee wrote:

1- definitely don't need "strong ties" to Boston. As long as you have decent grades you will be able to find something if you work for it.

Hope this helps!!
Do you know that 69.4% of the total BC law school graduates were able to to find fulltime, permanent, JD required jobs in 2011?

And 25% of the total graduates in the same year landed big law jobs?

Do you consider this a desirable outcome for you and your classmates?

I am surprised that nobody bought this up, but rather ask questions about social lives in BC.
Thanks for the info, chief. I'm sure none of us have ever heard of lawschooltransparency and are completely unconcerned with getting jobs after law school...

Quite a few of us have messaged back and forth with current students about the job market, OCI, etc. This thread is not the only way to communicate with BC students. Thanks anyway.
^180, AlanShore.

How do BC kids fare at the Lavender Law Career Fair? Is it more of a firm thing or are there gov/PI employers there too?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:03 am

PinkLotus wrote:
BCLS wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:BCLS, is Law Prom worth attending? I had every intention of having a hot date with Erwin Chemerinsky that night instead.

foreveralone.jpg
hahahahah! That was awesome. I never went. It's not my thing lol. Some people loved it though. If you are a pro-LSA person you should probably go. I always just thought those law student weird get-togethers are weird and would rather hang out with my non law school friends.
Really? BC seems like a pretty friendly, collegial school--not at all like stereotypical law students. There's not a single person in my section I wouldn't have a drink with.

Speaking of which, you will be happy to know that my gunner a$$ went day drinking with section-mates yesterday between Civ Pro and Con Law. I was in the ER at St. E's the night before, so I really *needed* a mimosa instead of catching up on Con Law reading. :wink:

Back to the BEAST MODE!

Edit: Know anyone from the class of '13 who got EJW/Skadden or some other PI fellowship?

Hahaha that's hilarious! There are a lot of people I know that I wouldn't have drinks with. A lot of people talk law 100% of the time and I can't stand that. I hang with the people who have a life outside the library. I'm not saying these people are hard to find, but I know a ton of annoying law students at BC. Sadly, you can't avoid this.

Ps I can't think of the last time I opened a case book. It's all bar apps for me.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Hah, I'm in an elective with largely upperclassmen (Crim Pro) and you folks are soooo laid back compared to the 1Ls.

Know anyone in your year who has got an ADA position? I'm interested Suffolk, Middlesex, Norfolk, and Essex DA and especially Philly and the surrounding 'burbs (where I'm from).

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:03 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Hah, I'm in an elective with largely upperclassmen (Crim Pro) and you folks are soooo laid back compared to the 1Ls.

Know anyone in your year who has got an ADA position? I'm interested Suffolk, Middlesex, Norfolk, and Essex DA and especially Philly and the surrounding 'burbs (where I'm from).
Surprisingly I don't. I know I almost took one of those positions but decided for private practice. I do know a lot of people trying to get one. It really comes down to whether you worked in one of the district courts. If I were you I would desperately try to get into one of those courts your 2L summer. I can tell you how to do that. I have tons of connections with Suffolk DA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 am

Do gov/PI employers come to fall OCI, or is it more of a BigLaw thing?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:40 am

PinkLotus wrote:Do gov/PI employers come to fall OCI, or is it more of a BigLaw thing?
More of a biglaw thing. There is the gov/PI fair at Suffolk though.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:59 am

0Ls, Reason #133 to choose BC: our profs are such rockstars that randos on eBay hawk their autographs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-AITHOR-SAN ... 0704333269

:P (FYI, Katz had no idea of this until I pointed it out to him.)

BCLS, is there a cap on the # of clinicals you can do? I'm interested in so many of them! JRAP, Immigration, Prosecution, LAB, etc. I'd also love to do Semester in Practice in Philly.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 am

PinkLotus wrote:0Ls, Reason #133 to choose BC: our profs are such rockstars that randos on eBay hawk their autographs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-AITHOR-SAN ... 0704333269

:P (FYI, Katz had no idea of this until I pointed it out to him.)

BCLS, is there a cap on the # of clinicals you can do? I'm interested in so many of them! JRAP, Immigration, Prosecution, LAB, etc. I'd also love to do Semester in Practice in Philly.
No cap! But preference is definitely given to those who don't have a clinic. Most people don't do 2.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 am

TY. You said that clinic selection is based on GPA/WE...will middling but not terrible grades be a problem? I really wanna do JRAP next year and Prosecution my 3L year, if possible.

ClaireyMary

New

Post by ClaireyMary » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 am

At BCLS and Pink Lotus--

Can either of you speak to the time frame of deciding which track to take (Big Law or PI)? I can't really make up my mind, and would like to dip my feet in both for clinicals. It seems like to really succeed in either, a commitment needs to be made early on. Or am I way off with this assumption?

Thank you in advance!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:47 am

ClaireyMary wrote:At BCLS and Pink Lotus--

Can either of you speak to the time frame of deciding which track to take (Big Law or PI)? I can't really make up my mind, and would like to dip my feet in both for clinicals. It seems like to really succeed in either, a commitment needs to be made early on. Or am I way off with this assumption?

Thank you in advance!
Most folks who pursue BigLaw their 2L summer and postgrad did PI/Gov work (usu. unpaid) their 1L summer. 1L SAs are quite rare ITE, even at top schools.

For PI, showing steadfast commitment from the beginning is important--thru summer gigs, clinics, pro bono work, etc.

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am

Can anyone speak as to the ability to live moderately sufficient on the projected COL for 12 months? Would prefer to be able to clerk or do unpaid PI work 1L summer, as opposed to RA-ing. Now that I think about it, theres a stipend for the PI work right?

Anyways, thanks for any responses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 am

Yes, the Public Interest Law Foundation offers stipends for unpaid PI work during the summer. It's not guaranteed b/c demand is high, so I am also applying for outside fellowships, like Equal Justice America, Equal Justice Works Summer Corps, etc.

More info here: --LinkRemoved--

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm

PinkLotus wrote:TY. You said that clinic selection is based on GPA/WE...will middling but not terrible grades be a problem? I really wanna do JRAP next year and Prosecution my 3L year, if possible.
Na they don't seem to care too much about the grades. It's also a lottery system. I'm sure you'll have a good shot.

Tremendous

New

Post by Tremendous » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Even more questions...

How does life change after 1L year? Do the classes get easier or is it just that you get more used to it and there's not so much pressure to have top grades because your fate's kinda decided already?

If you're not on a public interest track, what kinds of pro bono work can you do (either in the semester or during 1L summer)?

How is BC's record in placing people into clerkships? Do you know a lot of people doing them?

How does selection and competition for the advocacy/moot court teams work? How many different teams are there and how good are they?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Tremendous wrote:Even more questions...

How does life change after 1L year? Do the classes get easier or is it just that you get more used to it and there's not so much pressure to have top grades because your fate's kinda decided already?

If you're not on a public interest track, what kinds of pro bono work can you do (either in the semester or during 1L summer)?

How is BC's record in placing people into clerkships? Do you know a lot of people doing them?

How does selection and competition for the advocacy/moot court teams work? How many different teams are there and how good are they?
1. First, I think the classes are the same difficulty but you become a better exam taker and don't find them as difficult. This has been my experience. My 1L grades were low and I was able to learn from mistakes and really improve my standing to the top 1/3. You're fate is not decided as a 1L, unless you want biglaw. 1L grades are absolutely critical for this.

2. BC has tons of pro bono stuff. You can attend service trips or volunteer with law students for various charity events. If you are looking for PI work, there is a PI job fair in which you interview with tons of different public interest employers in the area.

3. I have a few friends doing clerkships. I'm not sure about the data though.

4. There are quite a few moot court teams. It's not that hard to get on one. I actually know some jobless 3L's wasting their time on them which puzzles me. Most 2L's do the standard moot court. There are additional ones, like the First Amendment and also Immigration.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am

Tremendous wrote:Even more questions...

Re: your 2nd ?--

Plenty of opps for pro bono work, both on- and off-campus (do the former as a busy 1L tho). I volunteer for 1-3 hours per week doing immigration law work with Lutheran Social Services of New England, which is very conveniently located right on campus. Incredibly rewarding doing hands-on advocacy for real clients with real problems during your 1L year, and plus, it definitely came up in the interview for the summer gig I got. The attorney supervising you is a recent BC Law grad and is wonderful. I cut off volunteering for a couple weeks before finals, and she is very understanding of your time pressures.

There is a Pro Bono Fair in the beginning of the year which features legal services nonprofits throughout the Boston area where you can talk to PI attorneys and sign up for volunteer opportunities. There are also spring break pro bono trips, which are very popular even amongst 1Ls, but you do have to raise $ for them. The trips go to the Navajo Nation, NOLA, Los Angeles, Miami, Arizona, NYC, etc.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:52 pm

BCLS wrote:
You're fate is not decided as a 1L, unless you want biglaw. 1L grades are absolutely critical for this.
So if I wanna cop dat clerkship, there will be no 2LOL and 3LOL for me? :?

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Anyone have an opinion as to how much a commute from the Washington St T stop will suck? I won't have a car so it will be T & shuttles all the way.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

rufus&miles wrote:Anyone have an opinion as to how much a commute from the Washington St T stop will suck? I won't have a car so it will be T & shuttles all the way.
It will be a pain, although doable. Nothing beats living in Newton, walking distance from campus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Are Rufus and Miles your puppies in that avatar? lol

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Are Rufus and Miles your puppies in that avatar? lol

Haha those are my dogs rufus & miles. They are dressed up for Halloween, a cow and a cowboy.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:23 pm

rufus&miles wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Are Rufus and Miles your puppies in that avatar? lol

Haha those are my dogs rufus & miles. They are dressed up for Halloween, a cow and a cowboy.
Nice...having pets around will be a great de-stresser as a law student. :D

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:38 am

rufus&miles wrote:Anyone have an opinion as to how much a commute from the Washington St T stop will suck? I won't have a car so it will be T & shuttles all the way.
I live in Washington Square. It's about a 30 minute commute in the mornings and 35-45 minute commute in the afternoons/evenings.

I'd recommend living as close as possible to school during 1L, so long as you are also within a reasonably short distance to life's necessities (like grocery stores, etc.).

You don't want to waste time commuting during 1L - think of it as lost study time and lost free time that you don't want to give up during 1L. When you don't feel like going to class, when the weather sucks or when you're a little under the weather, being close will give you the motivation to suck it up and go. And when there's a deadline on your 1L paper, a speaker or event you'd like to attend, you'll really appreciate being close.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”