BC 3L Taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BCLS

BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby BCLS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 pm

GO

WanderingPondering

Re: BC 3L Taking questions...

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Well you asked for it...

Job prospects for students without strong ties to Boston?

Portability to NYC/Philly?

Portability to hometown secondary markets?

Why bc instead of bu?

Best place for a 1L to live?

Scholarship negotiation tactics: BU offer best card (of the non T14)?

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:Well you asked for it...

Job prospects for students without strong ties to Boston?

Portability to hometown secondary markets?

Why bc instead of bu?

Best place for a 1L to live?

Scholarship negotiation tactics: BU offer best card (of the non T14)?

1- definitely don't need "strong ties" to Boston. As long as you have decent grades you will be able to find something if you work for it.

2- I never looked into NY, but I have many friends who accepted offers from there.

3- hometown markets, i.e. not major city markets, are a bit more difficult.

4- Never been a terrier fan. I don't trust a school without a football team.

5- Best 1L place in my opinion is Cleveland Circle/ Brookline. Stay away from dirty/ratty Allston

6- I was able to get scholly money by pitting BU and BC against each other.

Hope this helps!!

skri65

Postby skri65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

Last edited by skri65 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 pm

skri65 wrote:YES! Thanks in advance for any answers...

-Did you hear of anyone able to negotiate with BC with offers from non-Northeast and non-T14 schools (W&M, W&L, UC schools, etc.)

-Anecdotally, how are people with IP backgrounds doing?

-Does anyone live downtown (as oppose to in Newton/Brookline/Brighton/Allston) and commute? I currently live in the North End, but I love where I live and have a car so I'd be willing to commute. I wonder if anyone else does this..

-What is the social life like? Where are the bar reviews? Do people go to bars downtown or do they stick to the brighton/allston area?

-How many hours do people seem to put in each day outside of class in terms of studying? Do they stick to the library?

-What are you thoughts on the campus? The library seems nice, the rest seems alright. Nothing special, but nothing bad, but I wonder if this view changes over the years..

-I figure the answer is no but also worth asking, but did anyone get a 1L SA?

1. Not sure.

2. I think they are doing well. I wish I had that background-- they get to apply to special OCI postings that require technical backgrounds.

3. I don't know a single person living downtown. It would be a long commute. You could easily commute to BU from downtown though.

4. Social life is good. In general, the people are "normal" and go out to bar reviews and tons of other local bars weekly.

5. Depends. 1L people are intense because they have no idea what they are doing. 2L they are still intense, but less so about school because most people are doing moot court or other extracurriculars. 3L everyone has checked out.

6. Campus is ok. I hate it being in Newton (I don't have a car). Also, the Library can be annoying because of the atrium. It gets loud!

Please feel free to follow up

skri65

Postby skri65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 pm

yeswecan12

Postby yeswecan12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:02 pm

how doable is the commute on the t? especially from brookline? Is D/C lines doable or just B?

How is the public interest job placement?

how'd you play scholarships off eachother? just BU or also others, specifically Northeastern, Fordham, WUSTL, and Tulane?

When did you apply and when did you hear about acceptance/scholarships?

do people go to football games?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 pm

What's it like going to class next to the freshman dorms?

skri65

Postby skri65 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:26 pm

manofjustice wrote:What's it like going to class next to the freshman dorms?

I pity you if you really have nothing better to do than to flame on a 0L thread.

With that said, I have the same question. When I visited, I barely even noticed the freshman dorm, and I've heard that undergrads don't even access the ls building.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm

skri65 wrote:

I pity you if you really have nothing better to do than to flame on a 0L thread.

With that said, I have the same question. When I visited, I barely even noticed the freshman dorm, and I've heard that undergrads don't even access the ls building.

Undergrads definitely access the building. In fact, the law students share the cafe in the law school with the freshmen. It's actually really annoying. Especially since space is limited

The commute is doable but also annoying-esp when the winter comes around. I live in Allston and it takes me 45 min to get to the law school via mbta and the law school shuttle

Tons of people go to the football games! Hockey too.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:42 pm

BCLS wrote:
skri65 wrote:

Undergrads definitely access the building. In fact, the law students share the cafe in the law school with the freshmen. It's actually really annoying. Especially since space is limited

The commute is doable but also annoying-esp when the winter comes around. I live in Allston and it takes me 45 min to get to the law school via mbta and the law school shuttle

Tons of people go to the football games! Hockey too.

Bummer about the freshman. That's a turnoff.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm

yeswecan12 wrote:
how'd you play scholarships off eachother? just BU or also others, specifically Northeastern, Fordham, WUSTL, and Tulane?

When did you apply and when did you hear about acceptance/scholarships?

1L, but I can answer those ?s.

Applied late (early Jan). "Under Review" on 2/2. Acceptance on 4/1. No scholly initially, but was able to negotiate up to $15K/year using offers from peer schools, namely, W&M and ND. Sent deposit on 4/20ish. Numbers are in my profile. Several other people on these boards were also successful--the BC admissions office is very amenable to negotiations.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm not sure if you're referring to the cowardly and heinous acts of vandalism on our Lambda's office that occurred over MLK weekend (the last in a string of incidents most likely committed by freshmen) but if you are, I assure you that the administration took swift action and stood in overwhelming solidarity with the students affected. Moreover, I don't know about the undergrad, but LGBT students by and large feel like BC Law is a welcoming and inclusive community.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 pm

PinkLotus wrote:

I'm not sure if you're referring to the cowardly and heinous acts of vandalism on our Lambda's office that occurred over MLK weekend (the last in a string of incidents most likely committed by freshmen) but if you are, I assure you that the administration took swift action and stood in overwhelming solidarity with the students affected. Moreover, I don't know about the undergrad, but LGBT students by and large feel like BC Law is a welcoming and inclusive community.

Hah no, there are idiots everywhere, I'm not worried about that. I was talking about having to spend a lot of time around college freshman while at law school.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:28 am

skri65 wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

Hah no, there are idiots everywhere, I'm not worried about that. I was talking about having to spend a lot of time around college freshman while at law school.

Meh, on a day to day basis, it's really not that bad. Kind of irritating to hear them whine about their Communications 101 assignments when I'm trying to figure out the vagaries of the Rule Against Perpetuities. :lol:

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 am

I figure the answer is no but also worth asking, but did anyone get a 1L SA?

According to the job surveys I accessed on Symplicity, 1Ls have gotten paid SA positions at firms like WilmerHale, Edwards Wildman (URM), Graydon Head & Ritchey, Sherin & Lodgen, Sloan and Walsh etc. It's quite rare though, esp. ITE. The overwhelming majority did gov/PI/RA. Honestly, it doesn't matter what you do your 1L summer as long as you're working in a legal capacity and get a good writing sample, references, and meaningful experiences that you can discuss intelligently at OCI.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 am

PinkLotus wrote:
I figure the answer is no but also worth asking, but did anyone get a 1L SA?

According to the job surveys I accessed on Symplicity, 1Ls have gotten paid SA positions at firms like WilmerHale, Edwards Wildman (URM), Graydon Head & Ritchey, Sherin & Lodgen, Sloan and Walsh etc. It's quite rare though, esp. ITE. The overwhelming majority did gov/PI/RA. Honestly, it doesn't matter what you do your 1L summer as long as you're working in a legal capacity and get a good writing sample, references, and meaningful experiences that you can discuss intelligently at OCI.

Yeah this is correct. It's extremely rare, but it happens!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:19 pm

BCLS answered about NYC. I'm from the Philly area. There is a loyal alumni chapter there, and the folks I've reached out to have been very friendly and helpful re: the jobs search. I actually secured my 1L summer PI gig through an alum. There is also an off-campus interview program with all of the major Philly firms. It will be hard to get to Philly without ties though.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:32 am

I don't have any questions right now. But this has been very helpful. CHECKING IN for the future :D

lschhope111

Postby lschhope111 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:40 am

Are there a lot of intramural sports and activities of that sort for Law Students? (Sorry, it's kind of a lame question but I heard some law schools have nothing going on)

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm

lschhope111 wrote:Are there a lot of intramural sports and activities of that sort for Law Students? (Sorry, it's kind of a lame question but I heard some law schools have nothing going on)

I haven't participated because I'm a loser gunner, lol, but the Law Students Association has a sports committee that organizes activities/outings. The softball team is VERY popular among the student body, including 1Ls. Each spring BC Law goes to UVA for an intra-law school competition.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Campus is ok. I hate it being in Newton (I don't have a car).

I'll offer a differing perspective. I think the bucolic,suburban campus makes for a better quality of life and a more close-knit community. I like the green and quiet, though I'm a bit older than most (25) and understand that the K-JD kids might prefer a more "happening" location than Newton, which is as quaint of a New England town as you could imagine. The BC Law campus is surely more appealing than the architectural monstrosity that is BU Law. :lol:

That aside, w/o a car, it can be a pain to get to networking/social events in Boston proper, though I do get by. The Green D line is a 15-20 minute stroll (Newton Centre Station), or you could take the shuttle to main campus and take the Green B line from there.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm

BCLS, how competitive is it to get a PILF grant? I'm doing direct indigent legal aid this summer.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm

PinkLotus wrote:BCLS, how competitive is it to get a PILF grant? I'm doing direct indigent legal aid this summer.

It can get competitive. Make sure to spend time on the application. I blew threw it and spent very little time on it first/second year and was thrown into the 3rd round. It was risky. Take your time and really write a good essay.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:37 pm

checking in. got in today. hoping for some $ and ill be there this fall!

is parking easy?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”