What do you do as a Transactional Summer Associate?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BeautifulDidem

What do you do as a Transactional Summer Associate?

Postby BeautifulDidem » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I am interested in Transactional than Litigation and a alot of users I have seen on TLS have done mostly Litigation SA positions. What do you particularly do on the Transacitonal side of things? As far as writing, work content, the pace, variety of work, etc?

Any contributions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

suralin
better than you

Re: What do you do as a Transactional Summer Associate?

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 pm

BeautifulDidem wrote:I am interested in Transactional than Litigation and a alot of users I have seen on TLS have done mostly Litigation SA positions. What do you particularly do on the Transacitonal side of things? As far as writing, work content, the pace, variety of work, etc?

JFC you're on a roll.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm

BeautifulDidem wrote:I am interested in Transactional than Litigation and a alot of users I have seen on TLS have done mostly Litigation SA positions. What do you particularly do on the Transacitonal side of things? As far as writing, work content, the pace, variety of work, etc?

Why do you keep asking about what a summer associate does? It doesn't matter what you do as a summer associate, it matters what you would do as a real associate
Last edited by dingbat on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeautifulDidem

Postby BeautifulDidem » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I apologize that I posted in the wrong forum, I just got the memo that I am supposed to post in the 'Ask A Law Student' forum :)

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:27 pm

This is actually a good question and one that may serve you well during OCI if you can ask it in an intelligent way. It obviously varies firm to firm and group to group, but some things you may do: sit in on calls, write memos on corporate law topics, do light revisions on transactional docs, talk to associates and partners about deals they're working on and try to ask intelligent-sounding questions about them.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm

alabamabound wrote:This is actually a good question and one that may serve you well during OCI if you can ask it in an intelligent way. It obviously varies firm to firm and group to group, but some things you may do: sit in on calls, write memos on corporate law topics, do light revisions on transactional docs, talk to associates and partners about deals they're working on and try to ask intelligent-sounding questions about them.

TITCR. You likely won't be thrown on a deal or anything, but you might draft a doc related to the deal or some kind of operating agreement or something.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”