getting $ after 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jwD13

New

getting $ after 1L

Post by jwD13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 pm

i tried searching around a little bit but didn't find much. I'm currently a 1L at a low T-14 paying sticker. Recently got grades back and did much better than expected (I would imagine around top 5% or so worst-case, probably better). Assuming I did around the same next semester (a big assumption I know), is there any chance I might be able to squeeze some money out of the school at this point, or did I forfeit any scholarship chances when I signed on at sticker? Thanks for any insight. Fully expecting the answer to be no but figured it couldn't hurt to ask

Shmoopy

Bronze

Re: getting $ after 1L

Post by Shmoopy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Can't hurt to ask the admissions or financial aid people at your school. Or maybe submit transfer apps, get money from new schools, and then use that for bargaining? It might be too late for that though...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Like most things, it depends. Try and find out if it has happened before. Being a T14, they almost assuredly won't give it to you for good grades (though lower ranked schools do this). You might be able to get some if you have leverage (i.e. accepted transfer apps to better schools), but again it depends on your school. I'm told NU has done it before but I have no idea about other T14s.

jwD13

New

Post by jwD13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:19 pm

alright thanks for the responses... pretty much what I expected. Guess i'll just ask and see what they say. No real interest in transferring I could apply though if it might get me some money

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm

do schools accept transfers with $?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm

uvabro wrote:do schools accept transfers with $?
Generally, no. HYS make you available for their need-based aid just like any other student, but you're not going to get merit aid from anyone. Your reward for transferring up is the privilege of paying sticker to attend their much better school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”