Need some advice

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jrsbaseball5

Need some advice

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 am

Hey all, I need some advice on what to do this semester. If this isn't the correct forum mods feel free to move it.

I am currently a 1st semester senior with a 3.99 G.P.A. and am pursuing B.A.'s in History and Chemistry. I have aspirations of attending HYS and am a URM. The reason I chose the Chemistry route is because I wanted to keep a door open to IP law though this has caused my G.P.A. to drop over the last few semesters which worries me because the threshold for HYS is so high. If I dropped Chemistry I would replace those classes with easier classes and help maintain my G.P.A.

With that background my question is two-fold:

1) Would a BA in Chemistry allow me to get hired in IP law or is almost mandatory to have a PhD?

2) Should I drop Chemistry and just focus on getting my history degree?

Thanks TLS

suralin
better than you

Re: Need some advice

Postby suralin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:Hey all, I need some advice on what to do this semester. If this isn't the correct forum mods feel free to move it.

I am currently a 1st semester senior with a 3.99 G.P.A. and am pursuing B.A.'s in History and Chemistry. I have aspirations of attending HYS and am a URM. The reason I chose the Chemistry route is because I wanted to keep a door open to IP law though this has caused my G.P.A. to drop over the last few semesters which worries me because the threshold for HYS is so high. If I dropped Chemistry I would replace those classes with easier classes and help maintain my G.P.A.

1) Would a BA in Chemistry allow me to get hired in IP law or is almost mandatory to have a PhD?

Thanks TLS

Generally, a BA in chemistry is not enough to get the IP boost (IPsecure). Given your extremely high GPA and URM status, I would drop the Chemistry major--particularly if you actually enjoy History more.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Suralin wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:Hey all, I need some advice on what to do this semester. If this isn't the correct forum mods feel free to move it.

Thanks TLS

Generally, a BA in chemistry is not enough to get the IP boost (IPsecure). Given your extremely high GPA and URM status, I would drop the Chemistry major--particularly if you actually enjoy History more.

By IPsecure are you talking about law school admissions? Would a BA in chemistry make it very difficult to get hired in an IP field?

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 am

Any one else have an opinion?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
Suralin wrote:

Thanks TLS

By IPsecure are you talking about law school admissions? Would a BA in chemistry make it very difficult to get hired in an IP field?

I have a friend who was not a science major but wanted IP. All she was required to do was take a break in law school to take science courses. The best bet is just to call the school and ask their advice.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:05 pm

BearsGrl, that is pretty interesting. Did she go to the same law school as undergrad though?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:10 pm

You generally need a PhD to be IPsecure for chemistry.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”