Any reason NOT to take the patent bar exam prior to school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScottRiqui

Any reason NOT to take the patent bar exam prior to school?

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:39 am

I'll have three or four months free before starting law school. I'm really only interested in IP law (although I acknowledge that could change), and I'm eligible to take the exam. Any reason not to? Does already having the patent bar out of the way carry any weight during interviews?

LSATSCORES2012

Re: Any reason NOT to take the patent bar exam prior to school?

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 am

Very interested in this... didn't even know it was possible.

Found a few threads on the topic, but look forward to seeing what others might have to say.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =5&t=35527
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =5&t=56255
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=2&t=971

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:59 am

This is relevant to my interests. I think it should give a bump during OCI, but I'm not sure whether the bump is that much more than that given by just being patent bar eligible.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 pm

its worth maybe 3% of ur overall assessment during OCI. i.e. it wont help compensate for shitty grades, but lack of wont hurt u if u have good grades. fwiw, its been more useful to me as a first-year litigation associate, b/c i have some fucking clue as to wtf the procedures are at the PTO, ie for inequitable conduct purposes, etc.

to conclude: sure take it if u have 3 months, its not difficult. dont think ur gonna bank jobs due to patent bar, but no reason not to.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 pm

if ur worried about being type cast as a patent law guy, just leave it off ur resume for non-patent positions. i did that and got multiple non-patent offers as well as patent offers.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm

dood wrote:if ur worried about being type cast as a patent law guy, just leave it off ur resume for non-patent positions. i did that and got multiple non-patent offers as well as patent offers.

I was worried about that, but what you did makes sense. Thanks.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Only reason I can think of is your firm will probably pay for it and study materials if you wait till you have an offer

markdighton

Postby markdighton » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm

I don't think you necessarily have to take your Registration number off your resume to apply for nonpatent positions. Given the Exam's onerous reputation (and pass rate), employers often see passing the Registration Exam as a real accomplishment. They'll likely think that you're at least a little more intelligent, ambitious and disciplined than most candidates. With one caveat: You have to be prepared to show that you're not just applying for this position while you're waiting for your dream patent job to appear. To that end, you'll need to show that you have a real, abiding interest in whatever type of work they do...any combination of the following: you have some history in the field, you took classes in the subject, maybe wrote a paper or law review article on it, belonged to the appropriate student group at school, joined a professional organization, maybe went to some of PLI's CLE programs on the topic (on scholarship, of course). Then, all you'll have to say, probably, is that you had the qualifications to sit for the Exam, and just wanted to get it out of the way while you were in school/study/exam mode, just in case...someday...
Sincerely,
Mark Dighton, Esq.
Admin. Director, Patent Bar Review
PLI

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:I'll have three or four months free before starting law school. I'm really only interested in IP law (although I acknowledge that could change), and I'm eligible to take the exam. Any reason not to? Does already having the patent bar out of the way carry any weight during interviews?

One reason not to take it is if you are interested in practicing patent litigation instead of patent prosecution. Only patent prosecution requires passing the patent bar. In patent litigation, it will not be necessary. I actually haven't decided whether I will be a patent prosecutor or litigator; if you are in this boat with 4 months to spare before law school, I would go with the "why not" attitude, just in case you do decide to go into patent prosecution.

LSTfan

Postby LSTfan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Last edited by LSTfan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Id take it the summer before, especially if you have the time

1) Its a bitch
2) All of my interviewers have been impressed
3) They keep adding new material to the test
4) It definitely wont hurt, it will help
5) Gives sort of an intro into patent prosecution. You can sort of test drive
6) Its not hard, but it takes some time. I think youll definitely have more time before law school than after (unless you end up unemployed)

Only con

1) You have to pay for it. If you wait till after graduation your firm MAY pay for it

10miler

Postby 10miler » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:54 am

Hi patent people, here is my two cents:
http://www.bpmlegal.com/patgloss.html
http://www.invention-protection.com/newsletters.html
I went thru 'newsletter' related to patents above and it gave me good foundation.

probably will be michigan summer start, but ain't sure if i'll be ready for patent bar before that.
will be studying tho. g'luck!

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 pm

markdighton wrote:I don't think you necessarily have to take your Registration number off your resume to apply for nonpatent positions. Given the Exam's onerous reputation (and pass rate), employers often see passing the Registration Exam as a real accomplishment. They'll likely think that you're at least a little more intelligent, ambitious and disciplined than most candidates. With one caveat: You have to be prepared to show that you're not just applying for this position while you're waiting for your dream patent job to appear. To that end, you'll need to show that you have a real, abiding interest in whatever type of work they do...any combination of the following: you have some history in the field, you took classes in the subject, maybe wrote a paper or law review article on it, belonged to the appropriate student group at school, joined a professional organization, maybe went to some of PLI's CLE programs on the topic (on scholarship, of course). Then, all you'll have to say, probably, is that you had the qualifications to sit for the Exam, and just wanted to get it out of the way while you were in school/study/exam mode, just in case...someday...
Sincerely,
Mark Dighton, Esq.
Admin. Director, Patent Bar Review
PLI

This seems like a notable response.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Because almost everything about this subject that can be said has, I would like to ask permission to hijack... because that does make sense... right?

Anyway, I'm interested in a lot of things regarding law practice, but let's focus on patent lit. Don't tell me why it won't help... but could it potentially not hurt to take the patent bar as a just-in-case, even if you know you want to do litigation? Also, if you were applying at a firm as a patent litigator, would you put it on your resume?\

Again, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything. I have my own assumptions. I don't need anyone else's.

shoobie

Postby shoobie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 pm

I can't imagine any fathomable scenario where taking and passing the patent bar would be anything but a benefit for patent lit. I am at patent agent at a small boutique IP firm and all but one attorney who does patent lit. has not taken the patent bar/ doesn't haven experience as an agent. I would be curious to see if a lot of attorneys really do end up with successful patent lit. career without having any patent prosecution experience. I also want patent lit. but took the patent bar as soon as I finished by undergrad degree and am now making pretty good money that I'll use to fund law school.

Honestly, the exam is not that hard or expensive. If you have a few months to study I would take it- there really isn't any reason that it would hurt you. If anything, you might be able to make some extra cash doing prosecution work and this experience can only benefit you in a litigation career. Even if you want to focus on another area of legal practice, at the very lease it's moderately impressive to have that registration number.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”