What should a 0L with little money but extra time do?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scretcher

What should a 0L with little money but extra time do?

Postby scretcher » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Applications are done, and I have a lot more free time than I am used to having. So the question follows, what should I do?

With my mind still in law school mode, the first answer that comes to mind is to get ready for law school. In undergrad, I majored in Psychology and Criminology, which you probably all know are not recommended majors for future law students (however, realize that Criminology is, in an educational approach, more similar to Sociology than Criminal Justice). While I do credit Criminology with motivating me to go to law school, it has left me in the cold when it comes to having anything more than a layman's understanding of economics, tax, and business. If a spend the next few months reading and researching, I feel my future grades will feel a [slight] bump.

Another side of me says I should do something for myself, whether that be brush up on my Spanish skills, learn an instrument, or read whatever the hell I want (A Song of Ice and Fire anyone?).

While I know the decision is ultimately up to me, your input would be helpful and welcome! If you think I'd be better off learning about economics, tax, business, etc., please follow with a few suggestions (what to focus on, what to read, etc.)

Cheers!

Lacepiece23

Re: What should a 0L with little money but extra time do?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 pm

scretcher wrote:Applications are done, and I have a lot more free time than I am used to having. So the question follows, what should I do?

With my mind still in law school mode, the first answer that comes to mind is to get ready for law school. In undergrad, I majored in Psychology and Criminology, which you probably all know are not recommended majors for future law students (however, realize that Criminology is, in an educational approach, more similar to Sociology than Criminal Justice). While I do credit Criminology with motivating me to go to law school, it has left me in the cold when it comes to having anything more than a layman's understanding of economics, tax, and business. If a spend the next few months reading and researching, I feel my future grades will feel a [slight] bump.

Another side of me says I should do something for myself, whether that be brush up on my Spanish skills, learn an instrument, or read whatever the hell I want (A Song of Ice and Fire anyone?).

While I know the decision is ultimately up to me, your input would be helpful and welcome! If you think I'd be better off learning about economics, tax, business, etc., please follow with a few suggestions (what to focus on, what to read, etc.)

Cheers!

read getting to maybe and chill is TCR. Personally, i think that anything richard freer has done in civil procedure (barbri lecture or treatise) might be some help. Civ Pro is confusing and having a background may help. His barbri lectures more than his treatise. However, that is probably even unnecessary. I don't know shit about econ, tax, or business either and it didn't seem to matter too much my first semester. No term was too alien that I couldn't look up in a dictionary if needed.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:51 pm

Have fun, maybe get a job if you want extra money. I read Getting to Maybe. While useful, it wasn't anything earth-shattering.

I'd stay away from anything substantive, there just isn't any point, especially when you have no idea what your professors will cover.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Enjoy your life before you experience 1L.

pifhib2

Postby pifhib2 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 am

If you feel super productive read Getting to Maybe and Planet Law School. You might also want to see if you can get a good deal on some necessary supplements (Glannon's E&E on CivPro and Torts come to mind). If you're as poor as you say, you should get really fit because your body is going to go to shit during 1L. If you can afford it, I would recommend getting drunk and playing video games as much as possible.

(Also, PM me if you want a shitton of 1L supplements for cheaper than you get them on Amazon. They're just taking up room in my apartment.)

Good luck. Try not to let 1L stress get to you.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:50 pm

scretcher wrote:Applications are done, and I have a lot more free time than I am used to having. So the question follows, what should I do?

Cheers!

In all honesty, you should read every single thing about why you should not go to law school, how much it will cost, and how dismal the job market is right now. It is a huge, life-changing decision that you should not get into unless you are 100% informed on its every aspect.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Hey OP, you should do whatever you feel like doing. You should enjoy life as best you can because for the next few years you're not going to have that kind of freedom. There will be nights you can go out and be sociable, but you're not going to be able to just pick up and leave for a week at a time. The things I've missed since starting law school are mostly family and friends, so I'd advocate spending more time with important people who you won't be able to be around.

But mostly, do something purely for you. Do something that makes you happy. Don't stress about law school until you're actually there.

scretcher

Postby scretcher » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've already been working out, playing video games, and working, so I guess I'm doing alright.

And at hiima3L, i've definitely done my reading on the risks, but I think given my current job prospects and those after law school, i will be better off going to law school. I've already gotten a 60% scholarship from a T30 school, so I will be graduating with (hopefully well) under a $120K worth of debt and from a school with decent employment statistics. I will also be holding on to the poorly backed belief that the legal market will improve tremendously over the next 3 and a half years :D

scretcher

Postby scretcher » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:25 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Hey OP, you should do whatever you feel like doing. You should enjoy life as best you can because for the next few years you're not going to have that kind of freedom. There will be nights you can go out and be sociable, but you're not going to be able to just pick up and leave for a week at a time. The things I've missed since starting law school are mostly family and friends, so I'd advocate spending more time with important people who you won't be able to be around.

But mostly, do something purely for you. Do something that makes you happy. Don't stress about law school until you're actually there.

thats what i've been trying to do, thank you :D :D :D

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 pm

This is what I did.

I got a working holiday and moved to New Zealand for a few months working odd jobs when I could and traveling around all the time. Then I spent three months in SE Asia living like a king and doing all sorts of cool stuff.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Network, if you cant network via a current job, if ur still in school contact ur alum office to see if they can get you in contrat with a lawyer from ur undergraduate institution

achewood

Postby achewood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:50 am

Volunteer

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 am

TRAVEL

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Last edited by chadbrochill on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 pm

anon wrote:How bad will it look to future employers, particularly biglaw, to have a work gap between undergrad and law school? How bad would it be if it were 2 years between schools?

It definitely looks bad bro. Not sure how to objectify it...employers at seminars I've gone to have stressed the desire to see some extended work experience to see that you can cut it in an office environment.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”