Harvard 3L taking questions over Christmas break Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thelawschoolproject

Silver

Re: Harvard 3L taking questions over Christmas break

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
I felt the same for Evidence (unsure now why I wanted it on my transcript given that I'm doing transactional work...), so I took Nesson's class :P
Annnd what was this experience like for you? I've heard that people regret not taking it from another professor because they didn't learn any evidence. Debating whether it's worth doing or not . . .

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:49 pm

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:51 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:Speaking of interviewing skills > grades... Anyone ever heard of there being employment consequences for a LP 2L year? Talking about firms that typically offer 100%.
LPs, being discretionary, look bad, but I mean, it won't completely damn you if you have one during 1L yr. Interviewing skills will just matter that much more probably (and your resume). I know people who have an LP and they weren't completely shut out.

But getting an LP during 2L yr is probably not as bad. Firms still care about grades...but I mean, what is the point of worrying? Were you going to try to do less well at your 2L SA if you hadn't gotten an LP (assuming you even get one in the first place)? lol

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:53 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
I felt the same for Evidence (unsure now why I wanted it on my transcript given that I'm doing transactional work...), so I took Nesson's class :P
Annnd what was this experience like for you? I've heard that people regret not taking it from another professor because they didn't learn any evidence. Debating whether it's worth doing or not . . .
Like I said, I'm doing transactional work, so no skin off my nose. If you really wanted to learn evidence...maybe take it from someone else. That being said, I have heard that the evidence profs at HLS all kinda suck...

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:25 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote: Personally didn't take Coates' corps (I had Clark), but I did hear about the "laxness" in the workload haha. However, one critique my friends did have for it was that working in groups w/ business students can be infuriating because they don't believe in citing anything...or grammar lol.
Yea they're atrocious but I think they grade each part separately. Our final paper had two completely different styles of writing and citation and we still got an H.

I had Clark for 2 days this fall (M&A) but it looked like too much work so I dropped it. The M&A workshop over J-term is the one to take.
Is that the one with Gordon? What can you tell me about it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 am

delusional wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote: Personally didn't take Coates' corps (I had Clark), but I did hear about the "laxness" in the workload haha. However, one critique my friends did have for it was that working in groups w/ business students can be infuriating because they don't believe in citing anything...or grammar lol.
Yea they're atrocious but I think they grade each part separately. Our final paper had two completely different styles of writing and citation and we still got an H.

I had Clark for 2 days this fall (M&A) but it looked like too much work so I dropped it. The M&A workshop over J-term is the one to take.
Is that the one with Gordon? What can you tell me about it?
Yeah that's the one. You don't need to know corporate law for this and when I took it last year there were a good number of Kennedy and MBA students cross registered. No law involved and no cases either. You just go over the contracts and negotiation process. Also last year it was only 2 weeks because Gordon had better things to do. It's considered the same as M&A law with Clark (you can't take both) but immensely easier.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:03 pm

AllTheLawz wrote: +1 to the above posts regarding this question and I will add that the same applies to below median. I am significantly below median (at least I think I am) and my screener to CB conversion rate was around 75%. I can't speak much to NYC since I didn't apply there but I did well with the firms that are considered top of their respective secondary markets (think ATL/BOS/CHI) and decently with the second-tier biglaw firms in DC as well.
If you're still checking this thread, mind if I ask what your softs were (work experience, undergrad, interviewing skills, etc.)? Was it common for someone with your profile to do as well as you did?

I apologize if I come off as neurotic and employment-obsessed. I worry because I'm pretty sure I'll be going into 1L with objectively one of the less impressive resumes in the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”