NYU 2Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rehsalt

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby rehsalt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 pm

forza wrote:I think that also factors in alums who get clerkships (after a year working at a firm, or something). It's certainly not 120 members of the 2L class. But I didn't feel like being at NYU hindered me at all (indeed, in my interview with the D. Ct. judge I'm working for next year, he said he "loves" hiring NYU kids--and he's in Tennessee). Maybe you could get in touch with the Judicial Clerkship Office to get more statistics.

As for professors/recommendations, it's usually a very natural process. In my case, one of my recommendations was from my 1L torts professor (for whom I RA'd, and with whom I took another class/wrote my substantial writing paper), and another was from a professor I just naturally clicked with in a 2L fall class. It can be kind of an annoying/gunnery thing to kiss ass for recommendations, but NYU has a nice system whereby you "rank" professors you'd like to recommend you, and then you (hopefully) get your #1 and #2 choices. It helps to rank professors you worked for/have a relationship with, or at least ones who taught classes you rocked.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Was the office helpful to you? They have two videos on the website from guys who make it sound like the office helped them every step of the way and was very knowledgeable about specific judges. Was that your experience?

forza

Postby forza » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 am

rehsalt wrote:Thanks a lot for the advice. Was the office helpful to you? They have two videos on the website from guys who make it sound like the office helped them every step of the way and was very knowledgeable about specific judges. Was that your experience?

No problem. They definitely were helpful. They have tons of information in a huge searchable database (judge reviews from people who've clerked, interview re-caps written by students, sample resumes, sample cover letters, GPA breakdowns per judge/court for people interviewed/hired, contact info for alums who clerked, etc). Michelle in the JCO is also super nice and gave me a great mock interview before I went to do the real thing.

That said, there's still a LOT of individual legwork to the process.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Since I live so close to NYU, I wanna sit in on a class this upcoming semester. Do you guys usually have class Friday mornings? How do I go about sitting in on a class?

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:06 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Since I live so close to NYU, I wanna sit in on a class this upcoming semester. Do you guys usually have class Friday mornings? How do I go about sitting in on a class?

I know my section doesn't really have anything until early afternoon (except lawyering, I suppose). Either way, you can usually just get a visitor pass at Wilf Hall on MacDougal Street and then just go and sit in the class. Helps to let a prof know in advance just as a courtesy.

ETA: We're on break till the 22nd I think.

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

indigomachine wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:Since I live so close to NYU, I wanna sit in on a class this upcoming semester. Do you guys usually have class Friday mornings? How do I go about sitting in on a class?

I know my section doesn't really have anything until early afternoon (except lawyering, I suppose). Either way, you can usually just get a visitor pass at Wilf Hall on MacDougal Street and then just go and sit in the class. Helps to let a prof know in advance just as a courtesy.

They should publish a new class visitation schedule soon. http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 pm

eerie_erie wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

They should publish a new class visitation schedule soon. http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm

Out of that list any notable professors worth observing?

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Out of that list any notable professors worth observing?

Arthur Miller - Civ Pro

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 am

forza wrote:

Arthur Miller - Civ Pro

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 am

indigomachine wrote:
forza wrote:

Arthur Miller - Civ Pro

I've heard Rachel Barkow and Sam Issacharoff are standouts too.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 am

Swimp wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
forza wrote:

Arthur Miller - Civ Pro

Isacharoff is the man. A little gruff, tho, but it grows on you.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Swimp wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
forza wrote:

Arthur Miller - Civ Pro

Last edited by JamMasterJ on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Anyone here who lives off-campus? I'm trying to get a sense of how much $$ is needed to get an apartment before loans come through. Is 2 months rent going to be enough to wrestle the keys away from the landlord? I'll have an in-state guarantor if that helps.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 pm

ph5354a wrote:Anyone here who lives off-campus? I'm trying to get a sense of how much $$ is needed to get an apartment before loans come through. Is 2 months rent going to be enough to wrestle the keys away from the landlord? I'll have an in-state guarantor if that helps.

It varies. I've done a lot of apartment-hunting in NYC and it's actually not all that unusual to have to pay first and last month's rent, and then a security deposit that is equivalent to another month's rent. Basically, the rental market in NYC is full of A) morons and B) criminals, with a lot of overlap between the two groups. The guarantor will open up your options some.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Swimp wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Anyone here who lives off-campus? I'm trying to get a sense of how much $$ is needed to get an apartment before loans come through. Is 2 months rent going to be enough to wrestle the keys away from the landlord? I'll have an in-state guarantor if that helps.

It varies. I've done a lot of apartment-hunting in NYC and it's actually not all that unusual to have to pay first and last month's rent, and then a security deposit that is equivalent to another month's rent. Basically, the rental market in NYC is full of A) morons and B) criminals, with a lot of overlap between the two groups. The guarantor will open up your options some.

Thanks! I'll plan for 3-4 months rent. My mindset is basically to assume that every listing is an organ farmer until proven otherwise.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:00 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Swimp wrote:

Thanks! I'll plan for 3-4 months rent. My mindset is basically to assume that every listing is an organ farmer until proven otherwise.

More like bed bug farmer.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Swimp wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Thanks! I'll plan for 3-4 months rent. My mindset is basically to assume that every listing is an organ farmer until proven otherwise.

More like bed bug farmer.

Duly noted.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Swimp wrote:

1st and security, maybe last. Also broker if you go that way

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
Swimp wrote:

1st and security, maybe last. Also broker if you go that way

You can also try emailing on Coases (NYU Law's listserv) to find a NYU Law student that is willing to room or sublet out.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:08 am

This isn't so much about the school as much as about how to get there... How do you recommend getting to the campus from the airport? I've never flown into NY before, and I've only been there twice, once when I was very young (and once for the Quidditch World Cup, which was really just a big blur...)

Based on what I've found online, it's best to fly in to LaGuardia. But the prices to get to NYU from there seem to be super expensive. Does the subway run to the airport or something? Or, to your knowledge, will NYU provide some sort of shuttle to the campus for ASW folks?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Holy shit. I thought Miami's bus system was complicated. Compare Miami to NYC. (It's complicated because if you're going to the airport you have to make sure you don't get on the train that goes to Hialeah...)

ETA2: Okay, I found this...

From La Guardia, Kennedy, or Newark Airport, take the airport shuttle bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal or Grand Central Station. From Port Authority, take the A or E subway downtown to West Fourth Street-Washington Square Station, or from Grand Central, take the Lexington Avenue subway (No. 6 train) downtown to Astor Place Station.

Can you confirm these instructions are accurate? if so, do you have an approximate cost? (I'm assuming it's under $10?)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 am

Take the F train from west 4th st to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave, transfer to the Q33 bus to LGA.
Alternatively, about $30 for a cab.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:This isn't so much about the school as much as about how to get there... How do you recommend getting to the campus from the airport? I've never flown into NY before, and I've only been there twice, once when I was very young (and once for the Quidditch World Cup, which was really just a big blur...)

Based on what I've found online, it's best to fly in to LaGuardia. But the prices to get to NYU from there seem to be super expensive. Does the subway run to the airport or something? Or, to your knowledge, will NYU provide some sort of shuttle to the campus for ASW folks?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Holy shit. I thought Miami's bus system was complicated. Compare Miami to NYC. (It's complicated because if you're going to the airport you have to make sure you don't get on the train that goes to Hialeah...)

ETA2: Okay, I found this...

From La Guardia, Kennedy, or Newark Airport, take the airport shuttle bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal or Grand Central Station. From Port Authority, take the A or E subway downtown to West Fourth Street-Washington Square Station, or from Grand Central, take the Lexington Avenue subway (No. 6 train) downtown to Astor Place Station.

Can you confirm these instructions are accurate? if so, do you have an approximate cost? (I'm assuming it's under $10?)

you can also take the subway from JFK (and probably LGA but ive never done it so im not sure) to the city and then transfer once you in the city, that would cost you about $5

rehsalt

Postby rehsalt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 am

izy223 wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

you can also take the subway from JFK (and probably LGA but ive never done it so im not sure) to the city and then transfer once you in the city, that would cost you about $5
The subway connection goes to JFK only. If you want to use public transportation, you would have to take the shuttle (which I don't know much about) or the bus that Jam suggested.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:19 am

IMO, the only reason to fly into LaGuardia is if you're going to take a cab--it's a lot closer to the city than JFK.

I will say this, though--if you decide to get that bus to the Port Authority...don't pass judgement on NYC until you leave that building. The Port Authority is a bad place.

Smushface

Postby Smushface » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:35 pm

I always prefer to fly into JFK because you can take the air train to either the E or F train for $7.50 all told. It's only a pain in the ass if you have a heavy suitcase, but JFK --> law school only has 1 flight of stairs the entire way so...

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 pm

A broker can be expensive (around 1 month's rent) but is SO worth it. You can be sure your apartment is ok and legal, plus find better places.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”