NYU 2Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby 02889 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:02 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
02889 wrote:Does anyone remember when exactly loans are disbursed? Is it like right around orientation (Aug. 21) or first day of classes (Aug. 28)?

And can anyone give some insight into what that period is like? Is it insane to consider moving some time in the first week of classes, or is there still enough free time for that to be reasonable (though obviously not preferable)?

probably right between the two. Make sure you have direct deposit.

Okay thanks. I'm considering subletting for August, then using savings and first loan disbursement to pay whatever absurd upfront costs I'll have to start a lease in September without a guarantor.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm

02889 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
02889 wrote:Does anyone remember when exactly loans are disbursed? Is it like right around orientation (Aug. 21) or first day of classes (Aug. 28)?

And can anyone give some insight into what that period is like? Is it insane to consider moving some time in the first week of classes, or is there still enough free time for that to be reasonable (though obviously not preferable)?

probably right between the two. Make sure you have direct deposit.

Okay thanks. I'm considering subletting for August, then using savings and first loan disbursement to pay whatever absurd upfront costs I'll have to start a lease in September without a guarantor.

that's what I did. You can also front/back-weigh your disbursement. I got all 22K in August.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri May 10, 2013 7:06 pm

LEGISLATION AND THE REGULATORY STATE (LAW-LW.10925)
Spring semester, 4 credits.
This course addresses the public law institutions and procedures of the contemporary legislation and the regulatory state. It examines the legislative lawmaking processes, the implementation of statutes by administrative agencies through rulemaking and other procedures, and the role of courts in interpreting statutes and reviewing administrative action at the behest of affected private parties. This course examines the processes, purposes, efficacy and limitations of regulation through an administrative regime, rather than criminal enforcement or private law. Its goals are to introduce the materials, concepts, and tools that lawyers need in a world of statutes and regulations, and to analyze and assess critically the institutions of the legislation and the regulatory state.

Anyone know the E&E(s) that goes with this? Or, if there are none, what supplement would you recommend?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Tekrul wrote:LEGISLATION AND THE REGULATORY STATE (LAW-LW.10925)
Spring semester, 4 credits.
This course addresses the public law institutions and procedures of the contemporary legislation and the regulatory state. It examines the legislative lawmaking processes, the implementation of statutes by administrative agencies through rulemaking and other procedures, and the role of courts in interpreting statutes and reviewing administrative action at the behest of affected private parties. This course examines the processes, purposes, efficacy and limitations of regulation through an administrative regime, rather than criminal enforcement or private law. Its goals are to introduce the materials, concepts, and tools that lawyers need in a world of statutes and regulations, and to analyze and assess critically the institutions of the legislation and the regulatory state.

Anyone know the E&E(s) that goes with this? Or, if there are none, what supplement would you recommend?

I have the admin E&E. It sucks, most supplementss suck for that class. If anything, i've heard good things about Beerman: Inside Administrative Law, and that the nutshell isn't bad.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri May 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Awesome, thanks jam!

sketchmarathon

Postby sketchmarathon » Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Is it worth it to choose NYU if you don't think you can be above median?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 12, 2013 1:15 pm

sketchmarathon wrote:Is it worth it to choose NYU if you don't think you can be above median?

I know a bunch of people who got NYC big firms who were below median. Sure, they weren't getting the V20 firms, but I know numerous people with V100 jobs who I know are below median. Though having work experience can really give you an important safety cushion if you indeed fall below median. Just an FYI.

sketchmarathon

Postby sketchmarathon » Sun May 12, 2013 1:31 pm

kaiser wrote:
sketchmarathon wrote:Is it worth it to choose NYU if you don't think you can be above median?

I know a bunch of people who got NYC big firms who were below median. Sure, they weren't getting the V20 firms, but I know numerous people with V100 jobs who I know are below median. Though having work experience can really give you an important safety cushion if you indeed fall below median. Just an FYI.

That's such a relief. I have a couple years of work experience at a company with good name recog. Is the calculus different if you want to work at a big firm outside of NYC though?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 12, 2013 1:45 pm

sketchmarathon wrote:
kaiser wrote:

That's such a relief. I have a couple years of work experience at a company with good name recog. Is the calculus different if you want to work at a big firm outside of NYC though?

Outside of NYC I can't say for sure. Depends on what market you are shooting for. Whereas NYC has the connections with NYU and a # of openings that allows them to dip deep into NYU's class, other cities may only be willing to hire "outsiders" with top grades. But once again, brand name work experience can really be the wild card in all this.

I was a transfer to NYU, and most transfers do very well come recruiting time. But it was the transfers with excellent work experience that were pulling in Sullivan & Cromwell, Skadden, etc. offers. I'm sure this effect largely carries over to students who start at the school. What non-NYC market are you considering?

P.S. No reason to assume you will be below median either. Don't for one second think that the students here, or at any other school, have any kind of advantage on you. Of course, that doesn't mean to assume "I will be number 1", but at the same time, no reason to sell yourself short.

Jacq2212

Postby Jacq2212 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 am

This is an awesome thread, just got done reading through the advice but still have some questions.

1. Is there a way to find apartments from those graduating from the law school?
2. What are these listservs and how do I get on them?
3. If I want a quieter area than on campus, what neighborhoods would you recommend that are not too difficult to commute from?
4. Is there a thread on here for people looking for roommates?
5. I keep running into apartments through AC Lawrence, what's the vote on them?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon May 13, 2013 11:35 am

Jacq2212 wrote:This is an awesome thread, just got done reading through the advice but still have some questions.

1. Is there a way to find apartments from those graduating from the law school?
2. What are these listservs and how do I get on them?
3. If I want a quieter area than on campus, what neighborhoods would you recommend that are not too difficult to commute from?
4. Is there a thread on here for people looking for roommates?

As to your 3rd Q, I live in Jersey City, and its perfect for commuting to NYU. Door to door its about 35 min (which is shorter than many students' commutes who come from Brooklyn or upper parts of Manhattan). Nice, pretty quiet area with lots of restaurants, bars, etc. PATH runs 24 hours, and every 5 min back and forth during rush hours. Rents are def cheaper and COL is more doable.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Tue May 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Roughly how many NYU law students target NYC firms? How many students are looking to work outside of NY?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 14, 2013 7:16 pm

fallingup wrote:Roughly how many NYU law students target NYC firms? How many students are looking to work outside of NY?

I think 2/3 of 2/3
http://www.law.nyu.edu/careerservices/e ... /index.htm

Jacq2212

Postby Jacq2212 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:05 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you need a broker, go through Corcoran. You won't love it but you won't get screwed. Citihabitats blows and I think trying anything non-mainstream is generally a bad idea if your not from the city/have prior experience.

Why is Citihabitats so bad and why does NYU have an arrangement with them?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:If you need a broker, go through Corcoran. You won't love it but you won't get screwed. Citihabitats blows and I think trying anything non-mainstream is generally a bad idea if your not from the city/have prior experience.

Why is Citihabitats so bad and why does NYU have an arrangement with them?

my personal experience: 1) way too expensive (though NYU arrangement might be cheaper IDK). 2) The two brokers I met with for them were really unhelpful - terrible at trying to work with my situation.

thisisunexpected

Postby thisisunexpected » Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 am

Jacq2212 wrote:This is an awesome thread, just got done reading through the advice but still have some questions.

I'm not an NYU student but have lived in the city a while and have tried Citihabitats and a couple other brokers at various times. My experiences weren't awful but they weren't great either. I found my current place through AC Lawrence and I had a good experience with them, or at least with the broker I worked with there. I can't really speak to the rest of the business, but I would highly recommend her (--LinkRemoved--). She was straight-forward and honest and helpful and patient and unlike with previous brokers, fees didn't suddenly appear out of the blue at the end of the process and I didn't feel like I had to be constantly on guard just in case she slipped something past me, you know? This is obviously just one anecdote, but there you go.

ETA: As for why NYU has an arrangement with Citihabitats, it's probably because CH is the biggest broker in the city. (Or so it seems, anyway, they certainly have more offices than anybody else.)

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Fri May 24, 2013 12:27 am

Unexpected acceptance from NYU. Here we go...

Hopefully 2L or 3Ls can answer in addition to 1Ls

1. How much of PI is legit self selection vs. "can't get biglaw so going PI"?
2. I know NYU has a pretty good reputation for business (Stern, pretty good joint law business program, prestige, etc). Is it common for NYU law students to break into the business field (ie: consulting, ibanking, etc). I hear two of mbb actively recruit from Penn Law. Is it common for NYU? Do you need a finance background for this?
3. Trying to calculate cost of living. What's a good estimate for someone who isn't going to splurge but also would like to live comfortably (not starving but also doing a little penny pinching)? LST puts NYU at 290k undiscounted. Seems a bit high, compared to other schools, even for NYC.
4. How "legit" are these school funded jobs? There were quiet a few of them (64, or 13%) for c/o 2012. Only 4 of them were JD advantage. What do these consist of?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 am

senorhosh wrote:Unexpected acceptance from NYU. Here we go...

2. I know NYU has a pretty good reputation for business (Stern, pretty good joint law business program, prestige, etc). Is it common for NYU law students to break into the business field (ie: consulting, ibanking, etc). I hear two of mbb actively recruit from Penn Law. Is it common for NYU? Do you need a finance background for this?
3. Trying to calculate cost of living. What's a good estimate for someone who isn't going to splurge but also would like to live comfortably (not starving but also doing a little penny pinching)? LST puts NYU at 290k undiscounted. Seems a bit high, compared to other schools, even for NYC.
4. How "legit" are these school funded jobs? There were quiet a few of them (64, or 13%) for c/o 2012. Only 4 of them were JD advantage. What do these consist of?

1 - IDK, really hard to tell. I don't know how you'd be able to get any sort of hard data on that.

2 - Just as good as any other top schools. Unless you're actually getting a joint degree from Wharton I don't think that kind of stuff is going to make much of a difference.

3 - 17K sounds about right but YMMV if you're willing to live way out in BK or Queens. I think that puts you around 280K after interest/increases etc.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Does anyone know if you're allowed to replace the twin bed in Mercer with your own bed? Browsing the housing information sites it looks like it's not allowed, but was wondering if anyone had any luck!

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Sat May 25, 2013 1:13 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Does anyone know if you're allowed to replace the twin bed in Mercer with your own bed? Browsing the housing information sites it looks like it's not allowed, but was wondering if anyone had any luck!

Yep! I live in Mercer and my roommate brought her own bed. Generally people post on coases (which you should join, it's useful) or in the Facebook group to find someone to take the bed the school gave them, and there's usually a few people looking to have a double bed.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 1:16 pm

ssteiner wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Does anyone know if you're allowed to replace the twin bed in Mercer with your own bed? Browsing the housing information sites it looks like it's not allowed, but was wondering if anyone had any luck!

Yep! I live in Mercer and my roommate brought her own bed. Generally people post on coases (which you should join, it's useful) or in the Facebook group to find someone to take the bed the school gave them, and there's usually a few people looking to have a double bed.

Oh awesome, thanks!

thisisunexpected

Re: NYU 1Ls (rising 2Ls) taking questions

Postby thisisunexpected » Tue May 28, 2013 11:15 am

Do you guys have any sense of how competitive the PI placement situation is? I'm wondering whether you need to be RTK or have other degrees/work experience in related fields to be in the running for the real interesting stuff, and if NYU having such a reputation for PI means the number of students there aiming for it actually makes those jobs harder to get than it might be somewhere with a lower overall PI placement percentage. Like obviously NYU has a lot of connections to PI jobs, but at this point does the number of students who want them overwhelm that? I know there're no real stats on this (at least that I've seen) but if you have any sort of anecdotal sense of what it's like that'd be great. Thanks!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 am

1. Almost all self-selection. I'm a just-graduated firm person but have a ton of just-graduated public interest friends (maybe more than firm friends). All of them were interested in PI from the beginning. There are probably a handful of people who struck out and decided to go for PI, but they're a tiny proportion.

4. Many of the funded jobs are so-called "PILC welfare" for public interest people who didn't have jobs at graduation. (Some are stuff like the Brennan Center, which is really prestigious and can be long-term.) PILC welfare is mostly an acknowledgement that significant PI hiring takes place after bar admission (depending on your focus; PD and government hire before graduation, but nonprofit orgs often don't), so PI people need transitionary jobs in the mean time. I don't know anyone who isn't PI-focused in some capacity who is going to a school-funded job.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 28, 2013 2:20 pm

BenJ wrote:

1. Almost all self-selection. I'm a just-graduated firm person but have a ton of just-graduated public interest friends (maybe more than firm friends). All of them were interested in PI from the beginning. There are probably a handful of people who struck out and decided to go for PI, but they're a tiny proportion.

4. Many of the funded jobs are so-called "PILC welfare" for public interest people who didn't have jobs at graduation. (Some are stuff like the Brennan Center, which is really prestigious and can be long-term.) PILC welfare is mostly an acknowledgement that significant PI hiring takes place after bar admission (depending on your focus; PD and government hire before graduation, but nonprofit orgs often don't), so PI people need transitionary jobs in the mean time. I don't know anyone who isn't PI-focused in some capacity who is going to a school-funded job.

just to add to the fourth point, and I have no idea whether this is positive spin or real truth: the school is outwardly pretty proud of the fellowship program - from my perception, it's far more a matter of people getting that little extra-needed funding to pursue their goals, rather than being a backup plan for those who struck out from what they actually want.

thisisunexpected wrote:Do you guys have any sense of how competitive the PI placement situation is? I'm wondering whether you need to be RTK or have other degrees/work experience in related fields to be in the running for the real interesting stuff, and if NYU having such a reputation for PI means the number of students there aiming for it actually makes those jobs harder to get than it might be somewhere with a lower overall PI placement percentage. Like obviously NYU has a lot of connections to PI jobs, but at this point does the number of students who want them overwhelm that? I know there're no real stats on this (at least that I've seen) but if you have any sort of anecdotal sense of what it's like that'd be great. Thanks!

The RTK kids are not some superstars on a whole different level. I'm sure it's a bit of a boost for things like the Ford Fellowship (something like $10K + great PI internship placement for 1Ls and 2Ls) but my sense is that it's not quite so divisive. I know plenty of non-RTKs who have insane internships this summer and, if they want it, will have insane post-grad opportunities.

I think it's like anything else: getting the ACLU is going to be hard anywhere, but I don't think you're disadvantaged in any way compared to the RTK kids. My assumption is that that takes a backseat to other things such as grades/doing something interesting, etc. That said, getting a PI job is probably more stressful/difficult etc. than getting a firm job since that side of things is a bit harder to screw up.

Sorry I can't be more specific - like you mentioned, hard data on the PI side is a lot tougher to obtain than biglaw data because it's a bit more scattered and the data-collection isn't on the same level (and "prestige" and placement power are a bit tougher to measure).

suralin
better than you

Re: NYU 1Ls (rising 2Ls) taking questions

Postby suralin » Tue May 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Do many IP/patent boutiques come to OCI? How does this number compare to other schools?

Anecdotally, how have your patent-bar-eligible peers done come OCI, and is the "patent boost" noticeable/valid?

I ask because NYU doesn't seem particularly well-known for IP stuff (correct me if I'm wrong about this) and I'm not sure whether there is a lack of IP boutiques in New York, particularly compared to California.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”